Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Installing Hydrogen Generator into Cayenne. Need Power source that is

Please help me. I'm lost....I need to find a power source for a Power lead to a Hydrogen Generator that I just installed. The power must only be on when the engine is running. and Stop if the engine is NOT running. The Key is running. It needs between 10-18amp to run. I tried connecting to the Secondary Air Pump..but that only works when needed. It is suggest that the Oil, Fuel, or Alternator is a good spot..however...These have continuous power when key is turned on. The issue is that the HHO generator is on demand. And only needs power to turn on when the engine is running....So my question is where do I hook this power lead up too. The power lead runs a PMW that controls that volt/amp to the generator that produces the H2, at the select flow volume controled by how much amps is applied to the generator.

SO question: What and where is a Power source that is only ON when engine is running?

Thanks

Brian

2005 Cayenne S 4.5

• Admin

That is a lot of current (10 to 18 amps) to draw from a system that was not designed for it.

You might consider a separate relay (power from the battery directly) and trigger the relay from the ignition switch (or a switched circuit).

Excuse my ignorance but what does the H2 generator do? is this an alternate fuel source? if so, how do you tune the DME for proper mixtures?

The power is just for the on/off of the PWM (pulse wave meter), which controlls the amount of H2 being created. In most cars you would hook it up to the Fuel pump or the oil pump. The amp is just for the on off switch or On demand H2, so you are not producing H2 when the engine is not running. You do not want the generator on when the engine is not running (bad things will happen)...so the key is to have the PWM only on when the engine starts.

The H2 generator produce Ortho Hydrogen, which is hosed into the Air Intake. There is a Volo HHO FS2 Chip installed on the OBDII port that control the system for H2 (which has been programmed just for this car). It is designed to give the Cayenne 50 more HP, and 40-65% MPG increase.

It was installed under the left head light...and has three parts. 1) reserve 2) h2 Generator 3) dryer. This is all controlled by the PWM.

Hope this helps.

B

That is a lot of current (10 to 18 amps) to draw from a system that was not designed for it.

You might consider a separate relay (power from the battery directly) and trigger the relay from the ignition switch (or a switched circuit).

Excuse my ignorance but what does the H2 generator do? is this an alternate fuel source? if so, how do you tune the DME for proper mixtures?

• Moderators

I have to agree with Loren on this, a heavy amperage line run off the battery and switched with an inline relay that sees voltage when the engine is running would be the correct (and safe) way to go. You may also have to add a capacitor in the line to dampen the current draw spikes, which a lot of other electronics in the car will not like.....

I'd also suggest giving up smoking...........

hydrogen_bomb_.jpg

Edited by JFP in PA

• Admin

Is there a type of switch or some thing I can hook up to make this line turn on/off? Like a switch off the alternator or something?

As I suggested above - a relay for the high current lines that is switched by any switched 12 volt source.

If you don't know how to do take the car to a shop and tell them what you want. You really don't want a mistake here - there is a potential of explosive H2 gas as well as draining the battery. Have a pro wire it up for you - is my advice.

The H2 generator produce Ortho Hydrogen, which is hosed into the Air Intake. There is a Volo HHO FS2 Chip installed on the OBDII port that control the system for H2 (which has been programmed just for this car). It is designed to give the Cayenne 50 more HP, and 40-65% MPG increase.

Doesn't seem hardly worth it for only 50 more HP and 40-65% MPG increase.

Yes, and NO. This is our promotion vehicle. I've got it working now and I'm getting 22mpg in the city and 35 on the Hwy. I don't know about you but that just put an extra 150+ dollar a month in my pocket, vice the oil companies. Its is quite a good investment since the cell is good for 100K. and the system will pay for itself in 8 months. So if I use this for 5 years, it has saved me $8000. On a car that is worth 30K. That seem worth it to me?

I think this is one of those "too good to be true" deals. Install a K&N style air filter and you'll get an extra 25HP and an extra 10% increase in fuel milage above what you're getting now.

I think this is one of those "too good to be true" deals. Install a K&N style air filter and you'll get an extra 25HP and an extra 10% increase in fuel milage above what you're getting now.

I assume the K&N is also "too good to be true".. :) It's not like the Cayenne has a restrictive intake system..

BTW - if you dig deep enough on that website - the scam triggers really go off with the story about how the inventor of the device was murdered by poisoning - by potential investors. That just screams conspiracy scam (like how the oil companies bought the pill that converts water into gasoline..)

• Moderators

More to the point, thermodynamics would predict that the energy required to separate hydrogen would be more than the energy released by then burning it. As this system adds both weight and complexity to the vehicle, plus generating nearly 20 amps is going to add to the alternator’s parasitic drag on the engine, this is starting to sound more like a perpetual motion device………..

Indeed - if you Google "HHO Hoax" - lots of interesting stuff turns up. http://www.tinaja.com/glib/muse153.pdf - is an interesting disection of the free-energy hoax. SNOPES also has a discussion on it in their forum: http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=56;t=002848;p=0

http://www.sciencefile.org/SciFile/forum/Bad-Science/17294-HHO-Cars Is also amusing.

But - to a true believer.. it's just gotta work. :rolleyes:

Me too -- I just ordered one as well. My set-up will be to tow a twelve foot trailer with a diesel powered generator, diesel tank and and a 100 gallon tank of distilled water. I'll run the power and vapor lines from the trailer under my Cayenne with a pivot assembly and up into the engine bay from below. Really easy and basic set-up. Should just take an hour to configure and soon I'll get 783 MPG!

Anyway, this is all somewhat insane .

Popular Mechanics debunks it here.

>

Water-Powered Cars: Hydrogen Electrolyzer Mod Can't Up MPGs

After batting down the hype over start-ups and DIY'ers claiming they could run a car on water, Popular Mechanics senior automotive editor installs a hand-built HHO kit—only to find he was right the first time. Can bad chemistry keep the myth of the water car alive? More heavy testing in the PM garage will tell.

>

I've placed my order for two of the units to install on my Cayenne.

Wouldn't it be easier if you installed a flux capacitor?

I did, but I have to be careful when I go over 88mph because sometimes I wind up in next week.

In fact, I posted this two days from now.

Wouldn't it be easier if you installed a flux capacitor?

I did, but I have to be careful when I go over 88mph because sometimes I wind up in next week.

In fact, I posted this two days from now.

LOL.