Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where is the real Boxster Forum?

Guest AVIONIX

Guest AVIONIX

Hello,

I am a member of several marque unique forums. For all of these that are some OK smaller forums, but there is always one forum which is the "primary" forum. Obvioulsy this is not the primary forum for the Boxster. I am considering purchasing a Boxster and am seeking wise counsel. Thanks in advance for nayone that can point me in the right direction.

Matt.

If you want the best technical information forum for all modern Porsches, stay right where you are. IMO it is by far the best, and there is so much common ground between the 986/987/996/997 that there is a lot of information that can be shared between models, which would be missed by going to a Boxster-only forum. Just my $0.02.

• Moderators

At one time, PPBB was probably the most Boxster focused; but with its founder's death, it kind of went off the beam and eventually was shut down. I'd have to agree that from an even handed technical perspective, RennTech is probably your current best bet, although there are other "pretenders" to the title.................

It's very selective to the model type year. But you should find any questions answered quite well. You'll just have to pose it in the proper field for the year boxster your looking at when your ready.

Guest AVIONIX

WOW! So let me get this straight. My Chrysler SRT6, which was only made for one year and fewer than 2900 examples exist worldwide has 100 TIMES!!! the forum traffic as that of the Boxster/Cayman. Do Porsche people just hate forums??? I have never ever seen a forum with so little activity. There are days with zero posts! What a shame. One of my favorite parts about car ownership is the wonderful, fun, informative forum experience that goes along with it. If I have a question on my Tundra or Fiat, or VW or SRT6, I just pop on the forum and ask. BOOM! Expert answers and advice within minutes. Hmmm.

• Admin

WOW! So let me get this straight. My Chrysler SRT6, which was only made for one year and fewer than 2900 examples exist worldwide has 100 TIMES!!! the forum traffic as that of the Boxster/Cayman. Do Porsche people just hate forums??? I have never ever seen a forum with so little activity. There are days with zero posts! What a shame. One of my favorite parts about car ownership is the wonderful, fun, informative forum experience that goes along with it. If I have a question on my Tundra or Fiat, or VW or SRT6, I just pop on the forum and ask. BOOM! Expert answers and advice within minutes. Hmmm.

I hope you are not just posting these comments to start a flame war - as that will not last long here.

This is a Porsche "technical" form - focused on the technical needs of folks that want to understand more about their Porsche, repair their Porsche, race their Porsche, and/or modify their Porsche. Most folks here don't mind getting their hands a little dirty.

Folks here are more interested in the technical end rather what "what's your favorite color?".

"BOOM! Expert answers and advice within minutes." -- How do you know they are expert answers? There are many Porsche forums that give really poor advice and answers from untrained and uninformed individuals.

Here at RennTech.org we have former Porsche factory employees, and many current Porsche employees, as well as many many owners, operators, and chief technicians of independent Porsche shops. I will put the expert advice given here up against any other site or dealership anywhere.

Also, many Porsche owners (as well as other high end sports and luxury cars) never go to a forum they just pay the dealer/OPC.

We know we are not everyone's "cup of tea" and we don't try to be that either.

And again, well said Loren!

Renntech has saved me at least $1000 (albeit Aussie dollars!) in the last 18 months of my Porsche ownership. There may not be a continuous flow of postings, but what is there is good quality, timely advice.

Guest AVIONIX

I hope you are not just posting these comments to start a flame war - as that will not last long here.

No. I have much better things to do with my time.

Guest AVIONIX

Most folks here don't mind getting their hands a little dirty.

Good no one likes getting their hands dirty as much as me. I've restored many cars by myself, done several engine swaps and even built a kit car.

Edited by AVIONIX

Guest AVIONIX

"BOOM! Expert answers and advice within minutes." -- How do you know they are expert answers? There are many Porsche forums that give really poor advice and answers from untrained and uninformed individuals.

I know they are quality answers because they are correct. Like your users here, I have saved countless thousands of dollars and hours thanks to timely forum advice and feedback. It is usually just a lot faster and from a lot more forum members. If you have used this site for any length of time, you know how valuable it can be. I am just pointing out the unfortunate fact that this forum has the lowest ownership penetration of any marque forum I have ever seen, including higher end / low production. It's just a shame. Treating new owners as pests and accusing them of trying to start a flame war on their first post is likely part of the problem.

Matt.

I belong to a few forums and find this one to be the best technical forum and the one with the least amount of drama. Stick around for a while and I'm sure you'll appreciate Renntech for it's worth.

• Admin
It's just a shame. Treating new owners as pests and accusing them of trying to start a flame war on their first post is likely part of the problem.

I do not think anyone here has treated you or others as "pests". It is just when someone comes here to ask a technical question they get answers. If you come here to question our existence -- then perhaps you haven't spent enough time here looking at the detail and quality of the answers provided.

As I said before we are not everyone's cup of tea and do not intend to be.

Let's just leave it at that and get on with Porsche questions - okay?

Guest AVIONIX

It's just a shame. Treating new owners as pests and accusing them of trying to start a flame war on their first post is likely part of the problem.

I do not think anyone here has treated you or others as "pests". It is just when someone comes here to ask a technical question they get answers. If you come here to question our existence -- then perhaps you haven't spent enough time here looking at the detail and quality of the answers provided.

As I said before we are not everyone's cup of tea and do not intend to be.

Let's just leave it at that and get on with Porsche questions - okay?

Like I said. Your attitude towards newbies is the likely reason for the low useage of this forum. Whether you are capable of coming down off your high horse or not, the fact remains that all I did was "ask a Porsche question" and a very important one at that. I am a member of several other forums and on EVERY SINGLE ONE was welcomed. I never have started a flame war, and I never have been accused of that before anywhere but here. I would have thought it was just one bad apple, but before I could even respond all 3 of your other Boxster V 2.0 forum members jumped in to pile on and tell you how awesome you are at telling off new members.

Why don't you take a lesson from one of your own forum members, Richard Hamilton. I asked a Porsche question. He answered my question. He did not feel the need to then go on to attack me personally.

Edited by AVIONIX

• Moderators

A couple of small, but eminently salient points:

1. I did not see any "personal attacks", but I did see an appropriate reminder of the forum guidelines concerning posting protocols and decorum.

2. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but at the end of the day, Loren's count a bit more; he owns the forum.

Have a nice day...................:rolleyes:

Edited by JFP in PA

Guest AVIONIX

A couple of small, but eminently salient points:

"Everybody has opinions, Loren's count a bit more; he owns the forum."

Have a nice day...................:rolleyes:

Well then I can see why the Boxtser community suffers without a proper forum even after producing cars for over half a century. It is unfortunate that such a great car is supported by such a miniscule forum community. It is just Porsches. All other similar marques have large, active, welcoming forums for their enthusiasts. I pity you folks.

Guest AVIONIX

1. I did not see any "personal attacks", but I did see an appropriate reminder of the forum guidelines concerning posting protocols and decorum.

Really,

what do you call these?

"I hope you are not just posting these comments to start a flame war - as that will not last long here."

"How do you know they are expert answers?"

"There are many Porsche forums that give really poor advice and answers from untrained and uninformed individuals."