Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front end knocking

Hi there,

I'm getting some knocking noise from the front end whenever I go over some uneven bumps at low speed. The vibration can also be felt through the steering wheel. Moreover, unlike some of the other posts that I have read, mine does still vibrate and knock during braking. But strangely, whenever I am turning left or right at low speed, the noise and vibration coming into the cabin simply disappear completely and cannot be felt.

I have done my searching here and there and it is leading me to the front anti-roll bar drop links or the control arms. But, since the last symptom of my car is slightly different to most posts I have read. Would any kind soul please point me in the right direction in how to tackle this problem.

The Geo is completely fine and all 4 tires are wearing very evenly with the inner sides wearing a tiny bit more.

Many thanks

Edited by niceguy

The front sway bar end links often wear out....

If you lift up the car you can grab the end of the sway bar and force it up and down with your hand... If you can feel movement / clicking you end link is most likely worn out..

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice!! I am quite certain the drop links are the culprit of the noise and possibly the lower wishbones making the v light creaking noise.

Has anyone tried the K sport drop links? Oh yes, and they are adjustable too. Will they last better than the stock's thin and skinny drop links? I am on fully stock suspension.

Link to these end links

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/endlink...roduct_id=el01

Thanks EleCTriCT for your information.My local indy told me that the stock Porsche drop links have a flaw and therefore, the clonking noise will come back after a year or so even when new units are replaced. That's why I asked if the TGW units are better. As soon as I am driving with the steering wheel turning, all the clonking noises are gone. Does that mean it has to be the drop links that are making the noise on my tt?

Cheers

The TRG units and the Tarret units are the choice of most of the track guys I talk to. My stock versions are about to be replaced as they are failing as well. Likely accelerated D2 larger than stock sway bars.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi tphss,

My car has done 37500 miles. The noise from the drop links started from early 30000 miles.

Now, I have a choice to replace them with the TRW drop links but my local indy said the noise will come back quite soon due to a design fault. Yet, the drop link are still 100% functioning perfectly with only some undesirable noises.

• 2 months later...

Having replaced both front sway bar drop links with the TRW units, the knocking and vibration felt through the steering wheel is now completely gone. I am happy to report that with around 30-40k miles these units can fail and I did find some vertical play in the bushings.