Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rough running if oil cap off?

I had some modifications done to engine resulting in having to cut the oil fill tube down approx 4 inches; so now I have a plastic piece with the oil fill cap on yet can pull it out; its not air tight and I was told that a Porsche will run rough if the cap isnt air tight and was told that I need to replace the entire fill tube.

Any insight or opinions?

• Admin

It needs to be air tight or you will get fault codes and poor performance.

The emissions requires in the US require crankcase vapors be burned in the engine - not vented. So you have a vacuum leak that will affect performance.

I suggest replacing the tube or finding a way to make it seal again.

Thanks everyone for the info; so would having a not air tight oil fill tube result in sluggish and/or hesitate take off? I havent received any fault codes, yet sometimes when I take off the sort of sputters until I give it some solid gas; maybe once it gets going then it builds the vacuum?

• 1 month later...

I made that bonehead move the other day checked oil, saw that was a little low but I failed to let settle. Checked again level was good and closed engine cover car was all over the place running rough, misfiring, sluggish pulled over and the problem became apparent ;)

I'll be the contraian here. I've had my oil cap come off at the track (wasn't tightened up after checking oil - supid, I know). Anyway, car ran fine. Turing great laps at Road Atlanta. High G loading, high RPM, all the normal track rigors. The only reason I figured it out was that I was black flaged for smoak. Made one hell of a mess but the car ran fine. That said, I've got a semi-permanent CEL due to other mods on the car (it's strictly a track rat). But it did RUN fine, no noticible difference in performance. That said, when I'm not being stupid, I prefer to have the cap on and TIGHT.