Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thank you and good bye all...

I have decided to sell my beloved Porsche 996 C4 6sp. Cab. the other day and am going to replace it with...

A Range Rover big difference but I have not driven my 996 for over a year as I found it too delicate

(like most sports car) and always had an issue needing some sort of attention! (I know the RR has issues too)

But when she was in a good mood and was behaving wow it was the most amazing car I've ever driven.

I will miss her but keeping her locked up in a garage was just a waste! I have good memoirs of my time spent

with this car but now it's somebody else's turn to enjoy her glorious flat 6 roar...

I want to just say thank you and good bye to all the members and admin's on RENNTECH

You guys have always been a great support for me & my old 996

I really think this site is a invaluable source of information to any Porsche owner!!!

It's a must. The knowledge I have gained from this site is better than any so called Porsche experts

I've talked to in person. I would like to say a special thank you to Loren you rule dude if not a little sometimes

dry :) thank you for all the advice which always turned out right :)

Thank you again guy

Until the next time...

James

post-26847-0-76336400-1334831386_thumb.j

post-26847-0-71806900-1334831469_thumb.j

If you decide to stick around for a while longer, I would be curious to get a first hand report from you as to the Range Rover's reliability.

I have heard that each Range Rover has a permanently assigned bay at the dealer, but would like to hear your experience.

I hope you'll be back in a P car and post here again, regardless of your experience with the RR.

Regards, Maurice.

I have a very good friend who is a tech on Range Rovers, Bentleys etc...

Range Rovers? Errrrrr.... Lets just say that they (RR's) are... Ummmmm. Horrible? Many of my friends have those cars, CONSTANTLY in the shop...Yet they still love them. I don't get it...Terribly underpowered pieces of whatever..

People want to race me in my Turbo in those boats... How insulting...

If you want nice leather go to Louis Vuitton....

Perhaps the new smaller generation is better...I doubt it....

I probably get flamed for this but I'll take the reliability and fun of my Porsche any day...

Edited by phillipj

Well.... I came from a series of Land Rover Discoveries to my 996 and found the Discos to be reliable and easy to work on. The parts are not too expensive and at least you can get underneath one easily :D

LR's are premium vehicles and obviously not without problems - but my own experience was positive. Like the 996 if you believe everything you read you'd be terrified of buying anything. By all means research before you buy but don't be scared off by "I know a bloke who had one of those" stories.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion and my sample size isn't big enough that I can really definitively say anything about the car (heck, I've never even owned one). However, most of the car reviews I've ever seen on the Range Rover corraborate a similar story. For example, Edmunds says it has world-class interior but "poor reputation for reliability". But if you know that going into the vehicle purchase and are ok with it, then so am I :)

Well.... I came from a series of Land Rover Discoveries to my 996 and found the Discos to be reliable and easy to work on. The parts are not too expensive and at least you can get underneath one easily :D

LR's are premium vehicles and obviously not without problems - but my own experience was positive. Like the 996 if you believe everything you read you'd be terrified of buying anything. By all means research before you buy but don't be scared off by "I know a bloke who had one of those" stories.

I agree whole heartedly with this. The easiest cars I have ever worked on...It's almost laughable to hear people say LR's are unreliable with the inherent issues we have with the 996. I' m on my 3rd Land Rover and sure they have their problems like any other car but a simple coolant or oil leak here and there and 1 guaranteed head gasket job over the life of the car is hardly anything worse than engine failures, IMS failures, RMS failures, AOS and constant transmission problems that are reported on this forum and others alike.

An 06+ Range Rover will be my next daily driver and cannot wait for it. Just be sure to buy the one with the Jaguar powertrain (AJ V8, ZF trans, the 03-05 were far less reliable (BMW).

Edited by theoilman

Stay on, you may be back. If you decide on another Porsche don't save it for someone else. I drive mine every day and rarely have an issue. I'd bet that if we took a survey the daily drivers are less prone to repairs than the cars that just sit.

A car in motion stays in motion ----->

Edited by white99c2
  • Upvote 1

Well guys you's are all going to laugh your ***'s off 3 days into my Range Rover ownership it's in the mechanics garage getting fixed.

Suspension faults and electrical faults :-))))) In saying this I was one of the people who had Engine failure (AutoFarm UK sorted me out)

with the 996 and regular coolant leaks and RMS failures and AOS faults and many many more things. But I do believe what white99c2 say's A car in motion stays in motion. I did one of 2 European road trips in this 996 (the other trip in a Boxster) and it performed amazingly it was like it was happy to be let lose on the open road! no over heating or coolant issues. But it's not a car for home to work 15 to 20 min city centre driving as soon as the engine got warmed up I was shutting it off not a happy porker...

So I'm going for a world of luxury and chilling (It's only a 3 Liter Diesel I know the fuel of sinners) I was going to go for a Cayenne but in Ireland there is a terrible selection all are the boring base models some are even commercial vans (no rear seats for Tax reasons) In Ireland you really get punished by the Government with tax if you like a big engined petrol motor even more if you get options like leather or sat-nav madness!!! I'm sure I cloud be back in a Porsche someday but I am temped for try a Lambo too, maybe I should have went for the Rambo Lambo LM200 :-)

Anyway guys until we meet again I'll check back on this forum from time to time to see whats going down. Maybe I'll be able to offer my own advice and past experiences to help other 996 owners. keep on revving :-) James

Edited by JamesD

• 1 month later...

My first Range Rover was the Sport in '08, and I'm now a year into the full size. Since I've owned them, the only time I had either of them in the shop was for my full size BCM replacement. They've definitely been WAY more reliable than my track oriented 996. :huh: