Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2012 C4S with a sunroof. When going over rough pavement I hear a distinct, persistent rattle -- more like a mechanical buzzing sound -- coming from the area of the rearview mirror and dome near the mirror. It may or may not be the mirror or something in the dome -- perhaps it is something under the headliner in that area -- but I am sure the sound is coming from that area (I have cupped my ears and listened and there is no doubt the sound is coming from that area).

My dealer observed the problem and thought he had fixed it -- by applying tape to plastic parts that may have been rubbing against each other -- but the problem persists.

Has anyone experienced this problem and discovered its source?

The sunroof would be my favourite to nail the problem, sunroof rattle is very common, though the fix is not so easy, so many parts that could cause it.

Try opening and lubricating everything you can see, lubricate the rubber seal and close the roof, Try with sunroof open and sunroof closed to see if this makes a difference.

Rattles and squeeks are so hard to find and fix, even harder to describe and others to read a post and offer advice

My '09 C4S has a rattle that to me seems to be coming from somewhere in the dashboard. It does not occur on smooth asphalt roads but on textured highways I hear it. I've gotten used to it but I am annoyed that in a $100K+ car my dealer was not able to silence the rattle. It is not very loud but it is persistant. I would describe it as sounding like a small hand full of paperclips in a gently vibrating paper cup.

I believe I have seen other posts on this website about this problem.

Edited by MWS

• 5 weeks later...

My 2011C4S has this problem as well. It sounds like a buzzing kind of rattle as you say like paperclips in a cup or maybe a toaster element being shaken - when on coarse road surfaces it's incessant. Drives me nuts. I have been thinking it's my chrono clock but sounds like you don't have one of these. These things are often hard to pinpoint but I am determined to have this fixed as a vehicle of this quality and price should not have such an issue - and certainly not an issue that can't be remediated.

• 4 weeks later...

My buzzing-rattle came from the center crono gage and it stops when I turn it slightly off-center towards either side "between the stops". So guess in what position it's alway in? Hope this helps. Cheers...".

Also had a small rattle where plastic cover on console joins shift cover assembly - fixed with felt tape by dealership. With suspension as stiff as these cars have, you know there will be vibration so I guess if you want a silent ride you buy the Panamera or a Lexus.

My 2012 Carrera 4 GTS had a buzzing/rattle that I thought at first was coming from the speaker near the passenger side A pillar. More snooping around and I found that it was coming from the rearview mirror itself. It only occurred on certain road surfaces but happened every day while driving to work. Grabbing the rearview would make it stop for a bit. Since the weather has gotten warmer it has not been happening. If it returns in the fall/winter I might have the dealer replace the mirror.

• 5 months later...