Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retracting the Convertible Top When Moving

I notice my 2001 996 top won't retract at anything other than stand still. Has anyone tried work arounds to allow retraction of the top when moving? It would be very convenient to have this feature when going in virtually standstill traffic on a hot day, for example.

Thanks!

There is a hack developed by Pedro that allows the top to be operated while moving in a 986 Boxster which involves bending up one of the spades (pin #18) on the convertible top double relay. Porsche incorporated this feature in the later 987's, but this hack works on 986's.

I don't know if you could do the same hack on a 996, but you can check this out if it interests you: http://pedrosgarage....-in-motion.html

Regards, Maurice.

I do that at very low speed by lifting the hand brake by just 1 click. That way when I am at a red light, the top goes up or down and car behind me don't wait even if the traffic light turn green before top as finish is cycle. :thumbup:

Yes, SmartTop will do this but why? I live in an area where 40 mph wind gusts are normal, and Semis get knocked over often (northern Utah). A wind gust would destroy the top. I don't activate the top when it is windys or while in the canyons.

Yes, SmartTop will do this but why? I live in an area where 40 mph wind gusts are normal, and Semis get knocked over often (northern Utah). A wind gust would destroy the top. I don't activate the top when it is windys or while in the canyons.

I live in Boulder where 100 mph wind is a stiff breeze (chanooks)...what does that have to do with retracting a roof while driving? I wouldn't even attempt to drop the top in those conditions whether I was moving or not (nor would I want to). The SmartTop does multiple things:

1. One touch operation (you don't have to hold the button

2. Allows use of rear window operation

3. For earlier cars, operation up to 35mph (this is and has been available on stock Porsches for about 10 years I believe MT2002+)

Edited by wross996TT

I bought a SmartTop 4 - 5 years ago for my 2001 996 and followed the simple installations and I absolutely love it. It will work under 20 MPH and required only one touch to raise or lower. A few years ago, I had a new battery installed and it would not work. Found the original paperwork, e mailed the company and immediately received re-install instructions. Took a few minutes and it is operating perfectly again. Ed

• Upvote 1