Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator rectifier bridge

I have a 2000 996 manual and am wondering if they make a "rectifier bridge" replacement or if it can be replaced at all for the alternator, if so what is the PN#. I have replaced the regulator so I know they produce a replacement for it.

Edited by Mother

• Moderators

Porsche does not sell one (they only sell complete alternators), but as most of the components in these units are common to VW, Merc., Audi, and even some Fords, I'd suggest making some calls. I'd start with VW, as they tend to be the cheapest. You may want to also try some alternator/starter shops in your area .

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel you need a new bridge?

Edited by JFP in PA

Thanks, I'll try my alternator guy see what he come up with. The reason is my symptoms are the same ones experienced with my Toyota, not showing a 13+ volts at battery with new Alt Regulator when running and draining battery when car not used and ended up replacing the bridge and solved problem. My Pcar has sat for a month and the battery was dead and when I got it started it registered close to 14v, but when I got on the freeway it registered 12v and I had replaced the "alt regulator" about 6 month's ago with very little miles put on in that time. I am going to take the Alt to O'rielly auto parts and have them check it which "I believe" they can tell me if it is the REG or Bridge so I am just being prepared.

Edited by Mother

• Moderators

It could be, but you should realize that all late model Porsches have a 40-60mA parasitic draw on the battery when the engine is not running; this current keeps everything from the correct time on the clock to the radio station presets going. This is why they have the car set up to plug a battery maintainer into the lighter socket. This drain is infamous for killing the battery if the car is left sitting for more than a few days.

It’s a good idea to have the alternator checked out, but if it comes back OK, could be time to invest in a good maintainer………

Yes, I got lazzzy and do have a trickle charger which it has been on since I got back this morning and now that the car is cool I went to start it to check and it jumped up to 14V again? I was going to check voltage at the battery but multimeter digits started acting up and could not read....go figure. Maybe brushes not seating properly not driving enough etc anybody's guess at this point.

Edited by Mother

• Moderators

Yes, I got lazzzy and do have a trickle charger which it has been on since I got back this morning and now that the car is cool I went to start it to check and it jumped up to 14V again? I was going to check voltage at the battery but multimeter digits started acting up and could not read....go figure. Maybe brushes not seating properly not driving enough etc anybody's guess at this point.

You might want to load test the battery as well, just to be on the safe side.

• Admin

The battery needs to be disconnected from any car circuits (all cables disconnected) to be load tested.

Most often you take the battery out (it's just one bolt and clamp) and have it bench tested at a parts store or shop. They should also check the specific gravity of each cell in the battery.

If any are suspect then replace the battery.

Dry cell battery? Please expand that a little.

These sites reference the different part numbers and various companies offer a replacement part for the Bosch part. These companies usually only have one part number and list ALL the Bosch numbers as equivalents. Here are a few of several possible sources of information. I would like to suggest that you google the part numbers yourself to double check. I have satisfied myself but I cannot guarantee 100%. I can tell you that my car is behaving perfectly with the F 00M 145 350 part.

(Ref; http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46473

OR

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/archive/index.php/t-187174.html

OR

http://www.jnelectri...number=F00M1453 50&manufacturer=Bosch&description=Regulator%2C+Ele ctronic )

Finding a voltage regulator

Through various sources I found and confirmed that the Bosch number for the regulator in the Porsche alternator is F-00M-145-225. It would appear that this part isn’t actually listed anywhere as a separate item, although I did manage to track one down on e-bay. All is not lost though, as the same part is available under different part numbers. Various websites cross reference the above part number with the regulator for various Volkswagens from the similar years as well as Audi’s and Mercedes. For reference a commonly available part seems to be the F-00M-145-350 or F-00M-145-341 for VW, Audi, and Mercedes which fit perfectly.

These sites reference the different part numbers and various companies offer a replacement part for the Bosch part. These companies usually only have one part number and list ALL the Bosch numbers as equivalents. Here are a few of several possible sources of information. I would like to suggest that you google the part numbers yourself to double check. I have satisfied myself but I cannot guarantee 100%. I can tell you that my car is behaving perfectly with the F 00M 145 350 part.

(Ref; http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=VRG46473

OR

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/archive/index.php/t-187174.html

OR

http://www.jnelectri...number=F00M1453 50&manufacturer=Bosch&description=Regulator%2C+Ele ctronic )

I suspect that the different vehicle manufacturers insist that Bosch supply parts with a unique part number or that Bosch manufacture identical parts in different locations and assign part numbers to each. If anyone can give me an informed answer to this or if they can tell me if there really is any difference between them I would LOVE to know!

Edited by fpb111

I use a Optima yellow top for 5 years now with good results but not sure of capacity however I do run extra power amp for music and couple of other things, in Phoenix AZ heat is a killer on lead acid batteries usually 2-3 years before I need to replace. The Alt Regulator I installed was from Pelican parts which just gave me one part to choose from.

• Moderators

“Contradiction in terms” department, Optima is not considered a "dry cell" (such as the Odyssey battery); the Optima is an AGM design battery with more capacity than the standard flooded cell design. The Optima is not an issue here unless it load tested poorly.............