Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Engineering magnetic drain plug on a 2002 996 4S

Anyone switched from OEM to using the LN magnetic oil drain plug? I have a 2002 4S and ordered one of these plugs but upon installing I found that after turning it in the pan 2-3 revolutions it got very difficult to turn further by hand ..... vs. the OEM unit that turns all the way by hand until it's completely screwed in -- in other words, pretty sure the LN plug was going to strip if I started using the torque wrench on it. I have an OEM oil pan..the standard that comes with the 996.

Sent it back to LN and they sent me a new one in case the first one they sent me was from a bad batch. The person in customer service (still trying to talk to the engineer) said they tried the plug I returned on a "universal" drain pan and said it worked just fine so they didn't have an explanation why it didn't work well with my 996. They sent me another one to try again but I won't get to try it until probably the Spring when I do another oil change.

Anyone encountered this? Given how many 996s are out there and the relative popularity of the LN products, I am a little bewildered if I'm the only one that's run into this.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone with a 996 has using this LN plug (working for them or not). Curious to know if it's just me.

Edited by ferrugia

I have an '03 and my LN plug went in smoothly. Are you sure your OE drain plug is original and there was no work like re-tap on your oil pan? You should be able to measure the pitch of the threads with a tool and verify directly.

Thanks for the response.

Actually this is interesting. The guy that I bought the car from had the car serviced by the dealer for everything while he owned it and kept all the records, which I got when I bought the car. So your response just prompted me to do what I should have done in the first place and look over the 100+ pages of documentation of service to the vehicle. Well, guess what, there is a note in the records that on April 2005 the Porsche dealer "replaced oil pan and installed skid plate". Very interesting. However, I'm still a little confused since all Porsche dealers have to buy parts from Porsche NA .... so this repalcement pan must have been real OEM (ie not aftermarket, etc).

Does anyone know if there were revisions to the oil pan on the 996 ??? Did Porsche possibly change the threading on later versions of the oil pan?

Edited by ferrugia

That's interesting but as you said, still would not explain your problem. I would put the old plug and new plug side-by-side to inspect carefully. You can also try to mate the threads of the two and see if they match. Also, inspect the thread on the oil pan for any damage/debris.

Edited by Ahsai

I will update this thread at some point in the future when I get more information or solve this.

I will try the new LN replacement drain plug during my next oil change, likely in the Spring. The plugs, when I compared them previously (the original is back in the car now), looked identical to my naked eye with respect to threading and I did not detect any damage/nicks to the threading on either. These were the first things I thought of. As far as the threading in the pan, the original plug goes on very nice and smooth, able to be turned by the fingers until it's screwed pretty much all the way in before the torque wrench is needed. It doesn't leak any oil at all that I'm aware of, etc.

Ferrugia, have you considered the possibility that the original plug could have been at some point crossed threated and upon realizing this the mechanic later corrected by removing and reinstalling, leaving the threads in a semi crossed-thread state?

I have seen this in several times after 15 years of experience working on various vehicle types. I have found threads that looked fine but did not offer smooth threading. As well, I have cross thread at initial install, realized and corrected which, made it nearly impossible to seat the fastener by hand after.

Just something to consider - IMO.