Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

inside lights, door lights and gas cap not working.

I have the 99 C2 Cab.

Everything works fine on the car except the inside lights, door lights and gas door lock are not working. Checked all fuses and bulbs and all are ok. I can put the inside lights on manually but not the door lights. As I unlock with the key or remote the inside light should come on and the gas door should unlock. As I open any of the two doors that door kerb light should come on. As I turn on the ignition, the inside lights should dim and go out. The window drops as I open the unlocked door and returns as it should do when its closed from either inside or outside of the car. The alarm works good. No beeping when the remote is pushed one time. Horn beeps one time when I push the remote two times. (I think that is normal). Both of the map lights work manually.

I would like to know does anyone have any idea where to look for a DIY fix of the problem. BTW its been like this since I bought the car some 18 months ago. I have read in my 996 essential companion book that the inside lights are controlled from the alarm system which appears to be working correctly. Apart from having a diagnostic test done on the computer under the drivers seat at a Porche place, would anyone know another way to DIY the problem. Also has anyone had a diagnostic test done on their vehicle and what was the cost. Thanks in advance. Mike

Edited by Hurdigurdiman

• Moderators

Probably the control box is partially switched back in to "transport mode" A dealer can, using a PIWIS diagnostic/programming tool, switch the control box out of "transport mode" Without a programming tool it is not doing.

I think it goes like this but Loren may have to confirm. One push on the remote locks the car, two pushes arms the alarm. If everything is right, no horn beeps (unless someone programmed it that way). If the horn beeps, something is ajar, gas cap, center console, door ajar, hood ajar or one of the switches to those is not right. For what it's worth, might check all of the contacts at those points. Agree that a trip to the dealer would isolate which switch is not working correctly and may save a lot of time figuring out which one.

• Admin

Pressing the remote Lock once locks the car and sets the alarm (takes a few seconds). On US/Canada cars this includes door locks, front and read hoods, convertible top compartment, radio, oddments tray (center console), and passenger compartment.

Pressing the remote Lock twice deactivates the infrared passenger compartments monitoring.

One beep means that one (or more) alarm zones are open.

Two beeps means there is an alarm fault - a Durametric, PST2, or PIWIS tester is needed to further pinpoint and diagnose the fault.

I think RFM is correct, and the alarm module has slipped into transit (energy saving) mode. I've seen this on a few occasions, and the symptoms are as you describe. You need to get it plugged in to a PST2 or PIWIS tester, and perform the "Sports Car Handover" routine in the Special Functions menu.

OK Guys I was quoted approx $100 to have the control tested via their PST2/PIWIS tester to have the fualt pin pointed/and/or returned from 'Sports Car Handover' routine in the 'special functions menu'. I have to have the car at their place a week from today and will let you know the outcome. Thanks again to all posters.

Edited by Hurdigurdiman

This afternoon I took the car to AutoHouse Porsche to have a diagnostics run in special mode from their PIWIS tester or P2T or what ever they use. I was adviced by Richard Hamilton and Loren and RFM from Renntech that the Alarm Modual had maybe slipped back to 'Transport/handover

mode and thats what was causing my inside lights and door light , plus gas door not to be working as they should be. BINGO and CORRECT... all is working just fine now at a total cost of $75.. what a day thanks to all who contributed to my dilema over the past 18 months. Something so bloody simple which I never knew about until coming on these pages and being adviced from the elite of the elite Porsche owners. Thanks again guys very very muchly.