Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

upgrading my exhaust system

Hello Everyone, need some feedback and expert advice on upgrading my exhaust system 1999 996 C2 3.4. Has anyone used or had any experience with Schnell exhaust products...Sport Catalytic X Pipe, Mufflers, Headers? Seems they have a lower cost...so is quality in question? Seems performance claims are the same as the higher price exhaust systems. Not trying to cheap out, but not mortgage the house either.

Your feelings and honest feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks Billy

• Moderators

Very few aftermarket exhaust systems actually add anything but noise, some to the point of distraction. Some even reduce the engine's power output, so don't put a lot of weight on performance improvement claims. Quality, fit, and installation complexity are all over the map. Do some "due diligence" before buying, talk to actual owners, and if possible actually get to hear what you are buying on a car like your own before spending a lot of money on something you may not like long term.

If you would just like a sporty sound there is a "hack" that works well for ~$300 look into FisterD. If you do a search you will get many hits for this mod.

http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-996

There is also a hack called "the orange cap mod" that disables the heimholtz resonator in the intake that adds a little bass to the flat 6 symphony.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/42335-can-i-completely-remove-the-hemholtz-resonator-on-stock-airboxintake-hose/?hl=%2Borange+%2Bcap+%2Bmod#entry226640

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, have to be a honest…little disappointed in the few reply’s for input on the upgrade to my exhaust system and any experience with Schnell exhaust products...Sport Catalytic X Pipe, Mufflers, Headers? I thank all of you that did reply, and do value your thoughts. Have already heard about and looked into the FD Motorsports some time back and don’t see were a bypass pipe on a Muffler is going to give me much more then sound. I do agree that some modifications can hurt performance, however I have already installed an K&E air filter system and upgraded the ECU and both of these have greatly improved the performance and drivable of my Porsche. I may not have the knowledge that many of you have, that is why I asked for input. From my old school days you cannot increase performance by just putting more air and fuel into an engine, you have to also have a way to get it out, so my thoughts are following this line of thinking. A pair of free flowing mufflers and Sport Catalytic X Pipe to reduce the back pressure, not eliminate it would seem to help the engine breathe easier and work in harmony with the updated air filter system and ECU. With all the talk and feed back on this site about Catalytic bypass pipes and cut outs my questions have missed it’s intent. Keep the quality of my Porsche and keep it street legal, all ECU functions operating, improve not only the sound but the performance with the help from some knowledgeable Porsche enthusiast.<br />

• Moderators

Hello everyone, have to be a honest…little disappointed in the few reply’s for input on the upgrade to my exhaust system and any experience with Schnell exhaust products...Sport Catalytic X Pipe, Mufflers, Headers? I thank all of you that did reply, and do value your thoughts. Have already heard about and looked into the FD Motorsports some time back and don’t see were a bypass pipe on a Muffler is going to give me much more then sound. I do agree that some modifications can hurt performance, however I have already installed an K&E air filter system and upgraded the ECU and both of these have greatly improved the performance and drivable of my Porsche. I may not have the knowledge that many of you have, that is why I asked for input. From my old school days you cannot increase performance by just putting more air and fuel into an engine, you have to also have a way to get it out, so my thoughts are following this line of thinking. A pair of free flowing mufflers and Sport Catalytic X Pipe to reduce the back pressure, not eliminate it would seem to help the engine breathe easier and work in harmony with the updated air filter system and ECU. With all the talk and feed back on this site about Catalytic bypass pipes and cut outs my questions have missed it’s intent. Keep the quality of my Porsche and keep it street legal, all ECU functions operating, improve not only the sound but the performance with the help from some knowledgeable Porsche enthusiast.<br />

I think you may have missed the point of some of the responses as well; many people have tried many different exhaust components on these cars, only to discover that the factory pieces are not all that bad. In cases where before and after dyno runs were done by a totally independent and reputable dyno shop rather than the company making the exhaust components, some very expensive hardware has been shown to not only fail to increase power output, but in many cases actually reduced it. Then there is the well-known resonance problems caused by some aftermarket exhausts, which range from merely annoying to headache inducing din.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at ways to extract more performance from your car, just be sure to do your own research and take the manufacturer’s claims with a grain of salt………………

• Upvote 1

• Admin

I think you may have missed the point of some of the responses as well; many people have tried many different exhaust components on these cars, only to discover that the factory pieces are not all that bad. In cases where before and after dyno runs were done by a totally independent and reputable dyno shop rather than the company making the exhaust components, some very expensive hardware has been shown to not only fail to increase power output, but in many cases actually reduced it. Then there is the well-known resonance problems caused by some aftermarket exhausts, which range from merely annoying to headache inducing din.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking at ways to extract more performance from your car, just be sure to do your own research and take the manufacturer’s claims with a grain of salt………………

+1