Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

header remval and install

i'll be installing my new headers this weekend and am looking for some tips.

do i need anything special for bolt removal, liquid wrench, wd 40, elbow grease ;) ?

do i need anything special for install, anti seize for the bolts?

any special procedures?

Edited by karlooz

• Admin

do i need anything special for bolt removal, liquid wrench, wd 40, elbow grease ;) ?

any special procedures?

I doubt you will need WD40 etc. - not much rust in California.

If you want to be safe then replace the manifold bolts (900 378 131 00). I think they are about $1.29 each retail.

Torque setting are here.

any special procedures?

I doubt you will need WD40 etc. - not much rust in California.

If you want to be safe then replace the manifold bolts (900 378 131 00). I think they are about $1.29 each retail.

Torque setting are here.

thx loren

good idea, i'll get some bolts (9 right?).

i guess at 19lb-ft the header bolts shouldn't be that hard to get off.

heya Carlos, we always use liquid wrench but it's more of an issue on turbo studs than NA parts.... If you can't wrench it off don't use too much force. Get a rubber mallet but hopefully they weren't over torqued.

Oh and just use anti-sieze obviously:)

Too bad you're in the bay area, I am going to install a set on my car this upcoming weekend as well as a plethora of other things, and my father has a lift and full snapon and air tools! hehe.

I can't wait, I am going to do 14" stoptech's front new rotors rear, with pagid orange and stainless lines all around. gt3rs brake ducts, srf fluid, installing a custom braided clutch line, B&B headers, changing tranny fluid, changing plugs, and maybe replacing the boots and coil packs if bad (will be testing). I think I will also install screens in my front bumper and clean the radiators, and possibly modifiy the mount on the 3rd on as well. Oh, and I am going to change out the wheel bearings at all 4 corners. I should be able to knock it all out in a full day, yes I am that good or stupid :)

Too bad you're in the bay area, I am going to install a set on my car this upcoming weekend as well as a plethora of other things, and my father has a lift and full snapon and air tools! hehe.

I can't wait, I am going to do 14" stoptech's front new rotors rear, with pagid orange and stainless lines all around. gt3rs brake ducts, srf fluid, installing a custom braided clutch line, B&B headers, changing tranny fluid, changing plugs, and maybe replacing the boots and coil packs if bad (will be testing). I think I will also install screens in my front bumper and clean the radiators, and possibly modifiy the mount on the 3rd on as well. Oh, and I am going to change out the wheel bearings at all 4 corners. I should be able to knock it all out in a full day, yes I am that good  or stupid :)

That is going to be a FULL day. You would be hard pressed to do all four wheel bearings in an 8 hour period, just doing one is a pretty big pain in the butt, even if you have your own press.

PTEC, I was originally going to press them myself, but I forgot that the press is in storage and will be too much of a PITA to get out, so I will send them to the machine shop I used last time. While that is going on I will be doing the work on the other parts- :)

Edited by SPR

I can't wait, I am going to do 14" stoptech's front new rotors rear, with pagid orange and stainless lines all around. gt3rs brake ducts, srf fluid, installing a custom braided clutch line, B&B headers, changing tranny fluid, changing plugs, and maybe replacing the boots and coil packs if bad (will be testing). I think I will also install screens in my front bumper and clean the radiators, and possibly modifiy the mount on the 3rd on as well. Oh, and I am going to change out the wheel bearings at all 4 corners. I should be able to knock it all out in a full day, yes I am that good  or stupid :)

man, it looks like we are doing the similar things to our cars :)

i'm getting the stoptecs put in on friday WOOT WOOT!