Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Engineering 4.0--what a difference nickies make

I haven't seen on these forums anyone who has rebuilt their 997.1 using LN Engineering nickies. I just thought I'd share my experiences.

I had a stock 997.1 2006 Carrera S. At 132,000 i scored a cylinder in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. the rebuild consisted of:

1. LN Engineering 4.0 “nickies”, ceramic hybrid ball-bearing IMS retrofit, and JE Pistons2. LN Engineering low temperature thermostat3. 997.1 "Competition" Carrera IPD Plenum & GT3 throttle body

4. third radiator

5. replaced water pump

the ever so quick summary:

low end power--amazing. mid range--amazing. high range rpms--amazing. for those of use that like the “feel” of a 996 and 997.1 (the 997.2 and the 991 are, to my mind, fundamentally different in this regard), this rebuild results in an intoxicating drive. I haven’t put this thing on a dyno and to be honest i’m not all that interested. the horsepower gains are so prominent, it would simply be an academic exercise to establish that I have from +60hp to +75hp--it’s that impressive.Things to keep in mind

This turned out to be a very long process. if you are deciding on doing this, please check with LN Engineering to understand what tools are required. I had my car rebuilt twice by a nationally renowned porsche mechanic (he has won several awards on his expertise in building porsche race engines) at a porsche dealer. the first time didn’t go well as there was a chip in one of the pistons that required them to do it again. what went wrong? i don't really know. on the one hand, upon looking at the old water pump after the second rebuild, all the "fins" were chipped away and indeed the pieces may have found a way to the piston. on the other hand, there appears to have been special tools that even they didn’t have to properly install the pistons the first time around (this is my interpretation of what representatives at JE Pistons and LN Engineering told me). they purchased the necessary equipment the second time around and the result is amazing.

Ladies and Gentleman, there aren't many porsche shops in the United States that have opened up a 997.1 engine and put it together again successfully. This particular shop had three mechanics who regularly open up 997.1 engines. The mechanics at Aristocrat Motors in Kansas City are excellent at what they do and sill we had to do it twice to get it right. we learn from making sense of the unknown and I have no doubt that Aristocrat Motors would do an excellent job on your car if you decided to go this route. I’m only mentioning this to emphasize that no matter how good that mechanic is, check with LN Engineering to make sure that the place where you are having this done has the proper equipment. if not, there is a more than probable chance that mistakes can happen during the tuning.

Edited by grujfo1

Grujfo, going at it twice must have been an agonizing experience. You must be a patient person. Can you tell us whether this was your first water pump replacement and did you notice any temperature change with the 160 degree thermostat.

Uwon,

1. i'm not particularly patient. at some point, it became evident to me that the problem was beyond my control

2. first water pump failed and was replaced around 32,000 miles.

3. the low-temp thermostat: oil temps appear to heat up just as quick but the oil temp is much quicker to cool down when things get hot (>225 degrees Fahrenheit)

• 2 years later...

Hi Grujfo, I have a 2006 C2S that just experienced a cracked cylinder #1 wall.  I am contemplating doing the LN Engineering 4.0.  Aside from the resleeving, JE pistons (I think LN Engineering has a package that includes these pistons for $4600 US), is there anything else that needs modification?  I assumed with the extra power the updated motor is outputting, I would possibly need new cams, crank, intake, headers, or other stuff.  

post-82701-0-04975700-1459719969_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

hello arthur li,

1.  sorry to hear about "the issue"  but, if the funds are available, i think you will be pleased with the result.

2.  necessary mods:  i did ask around about that (i shop where the car was at and i called up Charles at LN engineering)  the answer was  no.  sooo, for kicks i got the low temp thermostat, ipd plenum, and third radiator

3.  since the rebuild, everything has been running well.   i am now at 160K miles getting 24 MPG in the city!

4.  good luck

• 7 months later...

It's been a long time since I looked at this post, but I thought I'd share my experiences as well.  I ended up going with the 4.0 upgrade + IPD competition plenum + GT3 TB.  Everything was completed by mid Sept and I almost got into a fight with my mechanic over scheduling conflicts (he moved his shop to a new facility during this time so he had his own stuff to deal with, which caused delays on my car).  So far I am loving it.  I have yet to dyno it but will do so next spring, but definitely butt-dyno feels more low end torque.  I've put approx 1200km on her since the rebuild but she's in hibernation now.  Engine sure feels strong.  

congratulations!

"i almost got into a fight with my mechanic"--brings back memories…i am sure he did an excellent job.  one thing i did experience was MAF and Cat and sensor and knocking issues (check engine lights,  sometimes blinking, sometimes not, codes such as P420, p1097, p2195) i used a bottle is isoheet every tankful for a month and everything went away. has not come back since.  is this new config engine more sensitive to water in the fuel?  i dunno.  thought i would mention it as your car is being put away for the season, something like this may arise when you start to play again come spring.

congrats again.  all is well that ends...

Edited by grujfo1
grammar issues

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Barryadl said:

Hi,

I am doing a rebuild and was wondering what the long term results are for a LNengineering    4.0 cylinder and piston kit.

Is there a downside to going 4.0? Has anyone had any issues?

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Suggest you contact Charles Navarro, owner of LN, he has been running one for several years in his Cayman. 

Hi,

I spoke with them and they seem like a great organization and I’m impressed with what I see. I spoke with George and he was very helpful and patient.

But I was hopping that someone could give me a review based on years of use. Does it hold up after years of use?

• 1 month later...

If done correctly, and driven properly, it should last longer than stock. Don't forget to do the IMS Solution while you are at it.

I am at one year driving my Raby Rebuild (Flat 6 Innovations) C4S. The motor is amazing. I do have the GT3 Throttle Body and large plenum.

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:18 PM, Barryadl said:

Hi,

I spoke with them and they seem like a great organization and I’m impressed with what I see. I spoke with George and he was very helpful and patient.

But I was hopping that someone could give me a review based on years of use. Does it hold up after years of use?

George has been very helpful, great guy. I’m also wondering on how long the Porsche will hold up as well since I do plan on keeping the vehicle for the years to come.  LN just finished my 3.6 L - 4.0 conversion a few weeks ago, cannot wait to finish up on this project as well 🙌.

2005 Porsche Base model 

Miles on the car:  89,xxx

iMS went out ...

5117574C-DDC0-49FF-966D-0A1AC6CE34C9.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Hi, I had the LN Engineering 4.0 liners fitted and used the premium rebuild kit with up spec IMS bearing. Plus, New MAF, Oxy sensors, V/V lifters, V/V stem seals, Engine and G/Box mounts. It was a first-time water cooled rebuild for my Mechanic. (997.1, Tiptronic.), he had completed numerous air-cooled, race included. Fired up first time, fumed considerably for a spell, settled down with the new Oxy Sensors and MAF fitted.  Full marks to LN Engineering logistics getting the blocks from NZ and back.  Completed a full front/rear suspension and brake rebuild. In general, a great result and service from LN Engineering and Len Jones our Mechanic.. Thanks Alan Cole. 

( Re mechanic, Len Jones, Autostrasse Engineering Ltd, Taurikura, Drive, Tauriko Drive, Tauriko, New Zealand.