Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P0441 DTC Code - Replacing tank vent valve

My Cayenne recently started displaying its check engine light. I pulled the code with my Durametric and it reported a P0441, which is an out of range pressure reading on the tank vent line. I cleared it, and it came back the next time I drove, so I knew it was time to fix the problem.

Naturally, the first place I looked was here, and came across this excellent tutorial: http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/161-p0441-error-code/'>http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/161-p0441-error-code/ . I picked up the part at one of the local dealers and did the repair yesterday. After poking around on the internet a bit, it appears that this is not uncommon problem that crops up once the vehicle hits above the 60K mile mark, so I didn't feel so bad about having to replace a part the is known to go bad after a considerable period of time (i.e., 7.5 years, 72K miles in my vehicle's case). To help the next person who needs to do this repair, I just want to add a couple things from my experience.

This picture shows the part that fails. In it, the electrical connection has been unplugged and the vent line has already been removed from the valve:

DSC00258_text_zps59f2c8fc.jpg

As the tutorial states, removal of the old part is more difficult than the installation of the replacement part and I as well chose to unplug all of the injector wiring plugs for access and actually cut the old line to ease removal. The only tricky part of the install is to make sure you route the replacement line beneath a small, hard plastic vacumn line located at the rear of the block. This picture shows the location:

DSC00260_text_zps3d2ced79.jpg

After buttoning everything back up, I cleared the fault code and went for a couple of test drives. Problem solved, and kudos to Mudman2 for making these easy for those of us encountering this same issue.

Edited by spooltime
  • Upvote 1

yup. Not very hard to do, just takes some time.

I made a DIY for this as well, I guess there are two of these now to choose from.

Mine was located here.

Wow, wish I had found your DIY link too. Excellent pics. Before starting, I searched by the trouble code (P0441), not by part name (since I wasn't sure what its "official" name is. I'd say between Mudman2's and your DIY write-ups, this repair is very well covered and can undertaken by anyone willing to work on their Cayenne.

If I were in your situation, I would not bother trying to do before it fails. The car will still work, you will get engine error code and CEL light on (not critical). Will have to try a few times to start after you fill up the car.

However, for all you know, your part may never fail, so why go through the hassle. Again, this is IMO only. Thanks.

Purge valve: it is a part of the car's emission control system. It monitors the fuel vapors that get recycled into the engine for combustion. Some call it evap canister, or evap valve, etc.

Great information. Thank you. Maybe i will do it in advance. Just one stupid question. What is this part doing? What is it for?Thank you

Edited by ciaka

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Althought mine is V6, I thought that I ahve the same problem with purge valve.

After I fueled the tank last Saturday, car wouldn't start right away but I din'd have to hit the gas pedal to start it.

Once it started on second try, idling was really rough and I had to play with gas pedal to make sure it won't die on idle and between ths shift.

Once I'm driving I really couldn't tell the difference than it was before, but it kept doing the same thing on restart.

Car came back to normal after I've used of about a little less than 1/4 of a tank.

I've used the generic scanner, CEL had come on when this happened, but the code I have is P0011 not P0441.

Is the code P0011 related to P04441? or is it totally different issue.

Also, just last week, I had changed the fuel filter which was really easy job with help form you guys around here.

Thank you in advance for your comment.

mudman2, i've enjoyed reading your work here and those were really helpful.

Do you know the location of purge valve in V6?

Should I wait unitl next refuel to see if the same thing happens again?

Btw, what OEM brand do you recommend for brake rotors and pads?

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to chime in here...

Ive had a CEL (P0455 IIRC) on for a couple months.  Getting a new gas cap didnt help.

I had the intake off this weekend to replace the starter. Before buttoning everything back up, I sprayed a bunch of electrical cleaner into the end of the valve (Pic #11 in Ciakas link).  Put a paper towel underneath and spray till it overflows out.

Check engine has been gone for 2 days now.  Essentially, this cleans the gook out of the valve which was preventing it from opening and closing properly.

Ive previously done this "repair" on my old rover D2, and that has been EVAP code free for about 4 months.

Edited by 5thlilpiggy

• 3 years later...

Gents need your feedback please:

Bought a 2009 cayenne S (US spec) with 74k miles on the clock. It had the check engine light on with code P0455 (evaporative emission system leak - large leak detected). Picture attached

i took it to a shop to do a smoke test, they found no external leaks. They tested the tank vent valve and leak detection pump and it failed twice. (Pic attached)

so i changed the leak detection pump (95560510702), found that the one installed was a chinese brand not oem, drove the car for two days then the light came back again! Same error code.

my car starts perfect when i fill up the tank, i was considering still changing the purge valve , is that the same as the tank vent valve?

dunno where else to look, my fuel cap is updated and the smoke test would've shown it to leak if it was faulty...

any feedback is appreciated

385CDFCF-AEE2-40D5-A745-B6EF1CDD457B.jpg

c21b502c-c168-459a-ad8d-485bb10832d2.jpg

7ec20f0a-394e-4a46-b6a7-36a29c2c05e2.jpg

749390C0-6CE7-40B0-BE81-3BC568635A54.jpg