Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Found another issue I'm trying to sort out. My Cayenne is optioned with Entry & Drive, however when I purchased the vehicle a few weeks ago the former owner did not have the dummy plastic Entry and Drive key. I ordered a new key and it came in the other day.

The remotes are both working correctly, the vehicle is locking and unlocking like it should, all door buttons work on the outside. The problem appears to be the ignition cylinder. When the plastic E&D key is put into the lock, it goes in OK all the way, but has very hard resistance turning one position to the right although it does go. It will not turn to the start position to start the vehicle. From center it will turn to the left with no problem and then back to center OK. I've also noted the key can be removed in the "on" position where it would normally not be able to. Both flip keys work the cylinder flawlessly in all positions.

Am I doing something wrong here or could I just have a faulty cylinder? My first thought was can the cylinder be lubed and if so what would be the correct lubricant to use? Don't want to shoot it with something that will zorch the lock & then be towed to the kindly dealer. I'm sure the plastic key is fine, it was a new Porsche part in the bag.

Thanks

Eric

Just a little follow-up information to the above, I received my Durametric interface today and scanned the vehicle just now. The very first time I scanned, the alarm module indicated no communication. Clearing faults and then a subsequent scan indicated no faults found (Kessy module was communicating). Also I am not optioned for the aux. battery.

Thanks

Eric

hmm definitely sounds like a mechnical lock cylinder issue, or key issue. It isn't any electronic issue (the key turns just as easy when no fob is detected)

take a look at the plastic key, after turning hard, are there any marks or scrapes on the key itself? Perhaps it's hitting against a stuck tumbler or something?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the dummy key is cut differently and is physically shorter than the normal key. I had the Cayenne to the local indy today, they played with the system for a while and did some troubleshooting. Basically what I left with was some advice from them not to use the dummy key at all. Don't know if it's an optimal answer but since the blade keys both work correctly at this point it's probably not worth pursuing further.

• Moderators

In fact the ignition lock is also a dummy, this means that keys of other Cayennes also fit into the lock and can run to the start position. However the startmotor will not activate since the transponder does not match with the receiver in the system (same for 997/987). All dummys are thus also equal, so no need to order by VIN #. I suspect, therefore, that the previous owner has tampered with the ignition lock, the cheapest way is to continue to use the master keys, if you want a perfectly working system in the car you will have to buy a new ignition lock.