Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just did a PPI on a 09 C4S I was considering. The dealer came back and told me the PDK is leaking (not just a drip, but enough to cover the transmission housing) and seems to shudder more than normal at pull away (seems like a bit of shudder is normal).. the outside temps are cold (10F).

My plan is to turn down the car and look elsewhere (since it is a $15k+ part), but thought I'd see what the group thinks too.

Also, to JFP's point, you may want to at least consider a manual transmission instead of PDK for exactly this reason. If your gearbox ever needs to be worked on or the oil needs to be changed, you won't need a PIWIS and will have a lot more options. As JFP said, if there's a problem with a PDK gearbox that's anything more than minor you're probably looking at a replacement reman transmission from Porsche = $$$$. Even if you prefer the PDK, that's ok, I think it's just important to understand this distinction upfront.

I have an 09 C2S PDK CPO. Is the one you are looking at out of warranty? If so, I agree with the other replies. I have 60k miles on mine an track it regulary. I don't agree that PDKs in and of themselves should be avoided because you can't change the fluids yourself or concerns about long term reliability. I have 60k miles on mine and track it regularly in the Florida heat and humidty. Several guys I know have tracked theirs for several thousand more track miles than I have. None have had any issues with the PDK. More and more PDKs are being used in amateur and professional racing as well; however if the seller can not get PCNA to replace the defective PDK prior to the sale, I also recommend walking away. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply PDK would have long-term reliability issues or that they are generally problematic. My point was only that if a problem does occur and the unit needs to be worked on, you're probably looking at a replacement unit from Porsche and they are expensive. As opposed to the manual -- which can be rebuilt at a much lower cost. Again, not knocking the PDK, just stating the facts.

• Moderators

I have an 09 C2S PDK CPO. Is the one you are looking at out of warranty? If so, I agree with the other replies. I have 60k miles on mine an track it regulary. I don't agree that PDKs in and of themselves should be avoided because you can't change the fluids yourself or concerns about long term reliability. I have 60k miles on mine and track it regularly in the Florida heat and humidty. Several guys I know have tracked theirs for several thousand more track miles than I have. None have had any issues with the PDK. More and more PDKs are being used in amateur and professional racing as well; however if the seller can not get PCNA to replace the defective PDK prior to the sale, I also recommend walking away. Good luck!

I can fully appreciate Silver_TT's point, while the PDK is fascinating technology, it is also not everyone's cup of tea. Some simply are traditional and prefer the direct involvement of a manual gear box over one controlled by a computer, while others are more "early adopter's" and fully embrace the change. But from a maintenance and repair stand point, the PDK currently remains a bit of a conundrum as there is precious little technical data available of the type a shop would want if they had to work on one, and as Silver correctly pointed out, even normal maintenance service like clutch oil changes requires the use of a PIWIS system. Many dealers also confine themselves to normal service and software updates on the PDK, preferring to swap them out if even a minor problem reoccurs due to the complexity of the system; a pathway that if it remains unchanged going forward is going to be very expensive out of warranty. So people such as the original poster need to look at a 5 year old PDK car without a CPO with their eyes open to the downside potential of these new systems until the aftermarket develops more technical resources and tools to work on and maintain these new transmissions.