Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement Tire Issue

My '04 C2 has almost new front 18" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, came with the car last. I need new rear tires but the problem is the Michelin tires aren't available any longer per Tirerack, and they recommending Conti Extreme DWS. Never miXed tires before on any of my cars. Should I be OK with the Conti's?

Replies appreciated - thx

being an Old Man now, What you need is to make sure that the tire compound is the same or softer in the rears. In the old days there were color dots to show you the softness of the racing compound, those days are gone now you have to find the specifications. a lot of tire dealers don't know what you are talking about. Now days the hardest compound is used on hybrids minimum rolling resistance. The softest are snow tires. The reason for like compound is so the rear tires don't brake loose and pass the front tires. And if the front are to hard, steering on corners becomes a *****

Look at the date code on your fronts If older then 6 yrs. They have aged out replace them even if there is tread left.

"How Long Does a Tire Last?

Carmakers, tiremakers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers. Carmakers such as Nissan and Mercedes-Benz tell consumers to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years, provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year. The Rubber Manufacturers Association says there is no way to put a date on when a tire "expires," because such factors as heat, storage and conditions of use can dramatically reduce the life of a tire."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Edited by fpb111

I agree with fpb111 regarding date codes especially on Porsche. I also think a lot of us take for granted what speeds we really drive. I dont know if you have ever had a high speed blowout? I can tell you from experience its no fun! It can even kill you. If you cant find a matching set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I would not mix tread patterns or MFGs. Thats my 2 cents worth, see the tire below that shot me across the freeway and almost flipped my car @ 90MPH. One of the most important parts on the car we all try and skimp out on. Just buy a new set of tires your car will also drive better.

post-29211-0-28430700-1392170024_thumb.j

Last question on this issue. Stock tire is a 285x30x18. Thx to Stuts, I found the OEM size at Discount tire direct for $404 each.

The 265/35/18 is $242 each. Both are Michelin pilot sport A/S. Never drive over 75mph and use car around town and country roads.

Will the lower cost tire be suitable as far as fitment and my driving style? Thx for replies.