Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cool Bluetooth and OBDII Scanner for iPhone Retrofits for early Porsch

While watching Olympics and scanning Gear&Gadgets, I stumbled on a couple of cool retro technologies that look promising for cars from 1996 to present. Fortunately for me, the previous owner spent some bucks ( $4G's) on my 996 installing JL audio amps, cross overs, alpine speakers, subs and a Kenwood 7" DVD, Sirius, XM satellite, iPod, Garmin NAV head.

I always wanted to complete the trifecta and add Bluetooth, but the units are almost extinct and real pricey.

A company called SUPERTOOTH has a neat little unit that clips on your visor , is self contained and pairs to iPhone and Android phones. Cost is $90.50. Since its portable, it can travel to your other car etc. Sweet. Anyone using it? ( www.supertooth.net )

The other interesting product is an OBDII scanner called AUOTMATIC. ( www.automatic.com ). For $100, you get a plug in unit that stays with the car and feeds you all kinds of real time information including monitoring for codes , CELs etc, gas use, GPS, route directions . It pairs with iPhone, Android. According to their website, Porsche 996 is compatible.

Im tempted to try both, but wonder how useful the scanner really is.

• Moderators

While watching Olympics and scanning Gear&Gadgets, I stumbled on a couple of cool retro technologies that look promising for cars from 1996 to present. Fortunately for me, the previous owner spent some bucks ( $4G's) on my 996 installing JL audio amps, cross overs, alpine speakers, subs and a Kenwood 7" DVD, Sirius, XM satellite, iPod, Garmin NAV head.

I always wanted to complete the trifecta and add Bluetooth, but the units are almost extinct and real pricey.

A company called SUPERTOOTH has a neat little unit that clips on your visor , is self contained and pairs to iPhone and Android phones. Cost is $90.50. Since its portable, it can travel to your other car etc. Sweet. Anyone using it? ( www.supertooth.net )

The other interesting product is an OBDII scanner called AUOTMATIC. ( www.automatic.com ). For $100, you get a plug in unit that stays with the car and feeds you all kinds of real time information including monitoring for codes , CELs etc, gas use, GPS, route directions . It pairs with iPhone, Android. According to their website, Porsche 996 is compatible.

Im tempted to try both, but wonder how useful the scanner really is.

It is a basic "global" OBD II system, and will not read or access several of the common code areas (ABS, PSM, airbags, etc.) on Porsche due to the use of OEM proprietary software. Before spending $100 on this cell phone toy app, I would put the money towards the proven Durametric system, which is a close as you are going to get to the mighty PIWIS without spending nearly $20K.............

The Kenwood Bluetooth adapters are a very good, and are cheap enough on ebay second hand. You can dial from the screen, stream audio and of course it mutes the radio

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-KCA-BT200-Bluetooth-Receiver-w-Microphrone-/221374413740?pt=US_Bluetooth_Handsfree_Car_Kits&hash=item338af17bac

Not sure this is the right model, you might need a 300, but a quick look on the kenwood site will sort it out

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the ELM 327 wifi odbii interface and use an iPad mini with Dashcmd app. It's a cool app and it helps me monitor coolant temps with more accuracy than the standard analog gauge. See my Dropbox link for pics of my install. It was a budget install only costed about $90. I did the trim rings myself out of Lexan using a Dremel tool.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sjz0xesxsvew51o/fOAGlBDTjY

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a GoGroove mini Bluetooth adaptor with fm transmitter. Work fine playing music or phone calls over my CDR-23. Audiophiles might not like music, but it is fine for my retired Marine damaged hearing. And phone is great improvement over earpiece.