Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag code 0032: rear window defrost fault?

My car is a 2000 986 base Boxster.

My PPI turned up a couple of codes for airbag and alarm....

Only one has me baffled as it doesn't show up in any of the searches I've done. To quote the report from the PPI mechanic:

"Codes for air bag system......0032 Defrost Button Right Side"

I can't find any reference to code 0032 in airbag code lists. Two weeks ago when the PPI mechanic gave me the report he made some comment about the rear window defrost circuit being controlled by the airbag module.

Since I don't have a hardtop (or a retrofit glass window top) the schematics only show a few components related to the rear window defrost on my car:

1) Dash "button" switch for outside mirrors and rear window defrost

2) Relay for outside mirrors and rear window defrost circuit

3) Plug behind driver's seat for connecting hardtop to defrost circuit

4) Fuse D2 in footwell fuse panel (30A checks good with ohmmeter)

Anyone seen this code before?

• Admin

There is no airbag code 32.

The airbag circuit has nothing to do with the rear window defroster.

Maybe time for anew shop....

Find a good shop with a Porsche PST2 tester or Porsche PIWIS tester and have then run diagnostics and give you the printed results.

That is my best suggestion.

Hmm....not much selection in shops here in Boise. The dealer has already made three mistakes in servicing my car. The PPI mechanic was recommended. The local Porsche club is run out of the dealer's facility so I don't know if I'd get much unbiased references there to local independents. Sadly the real go-to guy in Boise retired last summer.

The dealer cleared the codes gratis when they cut/programmed a second ignition key for me last Friday, but the airbag warning light came back a day later.

I'm trying to purchase a Durametric set but their website says my PC is loaded with "too new" versions of software like .NET. I need to call them and see if an update is in progress or if I need to hit craigslist for some old XP laptop.

I'm trying to purchase a Durametric set but their website says my PC is loaded with "too new" versions of software like .NET. I need to call them and see if an update is in progress or if I need to hit craigslist for some old XP laptop.

Just Uninstall .NET V4.0 and get the free download of V3.5 from Durametric website.

• Moderators

Tech from Durametric says I should be good to go with a Win 7 desktop since .NET revisions aren't an issue with Win 7. I even measured from my garage to my office and the 50' extension cable is long enough....I use a desktop in my office. Much easier updating/reliability than a laptop.

You really do not need the Durametric long cable, any quality USB cable will work just fine as an extension to the standard length Durametric cable, and save you some money.

your going to be doing a lot of running back and forth. You dont really want to be that far away. They make that cable for shops that put there laptop on a cart to roll around. Just be aware your going to get your exercise.

• Moderators

your going to be doing a lot of running back and forth. You dont really want to be that far away. They make that cable for shops that put there laptop on a cart to roll around. Just be aware your going to get your exercise.

Good point; we use a tower in the shop, so a long cable is handy. We also use it on a laptop for data acquisition during a road test, or for use on road side service calls.

Even with a laptop, I don't like the short cable getting in the way. Would prefer wireless between the laptop and the Durametric dongle (unfortunately this setup does not exists yet). I can't imagine using a 50' cable...almost impractical especially when you need to rev the engine or run tests.

• Moderators

Even with a laptop, I don't like the short cable getting in the way. Would prefer wireless between the laptop and the Durametric dongle (unfortunately this setup does not exists yet). I can't imagine using a 50' cable...almost impractical especially when you need to rev the engine or run tests.

Imagine the long USB cable hooked up to a tower so that it can reach multiple bays, and the tower to a large flat screen that can be swiveled so you can see it, makes life really easy, particularly when the tower is connected to your backup server that stores copies of client data files................. :thumbup:

Now if you connected the Durametric cable's USB plug into a wireless bridge with power for the USB port, and the tower on the other end setup to receive the signal, you could make the leap to a wireless connection.

Imagine the long USB cable hooked up to a tower so that it can reach multiple bays, and the tower to a large flat screen that can be swiveled so you can see it, makes life really easy, particularly when the tower is connected to your backup server that stores copies of client data files................. :thumbup:

Now if you connected the Durametric cable's USB plug into a wireless bridge with power for the USB port, and the tower on the other end setup to receive the signal, you could make the leap to a wireless connection.

Of course with the flat screen TV professional setup like you have, I can definitely see that :) I did think about the wireless brige with powered USB port setup like you said. Just never had the time to make one yet. Also, the stock (short) cable will still dangle from the dongle even with that setup. It would be nice if Durametric comes out with something similar to those low-profile bluetooth dongles that completely eliminate any cord.

The problem with using a generic USB cable is length. From wiki:

USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost.

I can't use a cable as short as 5 meters.

• Moderators

The problem with using a generic USB cable is length. From wiki:

USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost.

I can't use a cable as short as 5 meters.

Durametric does not run at that speed, it is slower, you can use a long USB cable without problems. We have one over 30ft. and it works fine.

Of course with the flat screen TV professional setup like you have, I can definitely see that :) I did think about the wireless brige with powered USB port setup like you said. Just never had the time to make one yet. Also, the stock (short) cable will still dangle from the dongle even with that setup. It would be nice if Durametric comes out with something similar to those low-profile bluetooth dongles that completely eliminate any cord.

I have several OEM scan tools that have bluetooth dongles I never use them. Bluetooth may be for looking at PIDs but coding/locking modules no way! I guess I am also too lazy to unplug my ethernet cable from the pass though tool. Call me old school but hardwired is the only way to go.

• Moderators

I have several OEM scan tools that have bluetooth dongles I never use them. Bluetooth may be for looking at PIDs but coding/locking modules no way! I guess I am also too lazy to unplug my ethernet cable from the pass though tool. Call me old school but hardwired is the only way to go.

What are you going to do when OBD III shows up? No connector plug to hardwire to.................... :help:

What are you going to do when OBD III shows up? No connector plug to hardwire to.................... :help:

Yes big brother looking at all of us and telling you and I when to get service or better yet impounding your car for not doing it when your told. I know its around the corner but you also know the MFGs will always have a hard wire backdoor. They know if you if you loose connectivity in the middle of flashing/coding a DME module it will become a $$$$$ brick. Until WiFi/Bluetooth networks are 100% I dont think the MFGs want the responsibility of picking up the cost of that. :oops: