Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Pronounced engine 'tick' at startup, then fades at op temps.

You can tell if you have the single or dual row bearing by looking at the IMS flange. The flange is different for each style of bearing. I just changed out my dual row bearing at 73,000 miles. I had removed the outer seal at 50,000 miles. The bearing seemed to be fine, no play at all. The failure rate for the dual row bearings is much lower.

I chose to go with a ceramic bearing and the Direct Oil Feed flange system, both from Tuners Motor Sport. I remember when the LN bearing was "unproven." To me a constant feed of oil to the bearing makes sense.

Dharn: Is the difference readily apparent by the form of the flange or is it a subtle difference? Any pictures of your flange available by any chance?

I seem to recall you have a 2000 as well. Any chance of posting the last 4 #s of your ViN?

I know JFP but I had to ask since the 2000 are not much different than the 1999 acc. to the renntech guru.

• Moderators

Dharn: Is the difference readily apparent by the form of the flange or is it a subtle difference? Any pictures of your flange available by any chance?

I seem to recall you have a 2000 as well. Any chance of posting the last 4 #s of your ViN?

I know JFP but I had to ask since the 2000 are not much different than the 1999 acc. to the renntech guru.

LN used to show a picture of both flanges on their website, the differnece is quite noticable.

The engine is back in and supported by the body once again. It was late last night and I didn't get a chance to connect the fuel lines, coolant hoses and underbody cross-member supports. I'll put the fluids back in tonight as well, but every looks good and I should be able to turn the key this evening.

I did replace all the vacuum lines given that one of them was melted and collapsed together on itself and the one connecting to the fuel pressure regulator was broke. This may explain some of my high idle issues.

The car has been out of commission for nearly two weeks and anxious to get it back on the road.

• 2 months later...

AWDGuy,

I was able to correct the problem which was worn belt tensioner pads on the camshaft drive chains.  however, when I put it all back together, my timing was off.  I was 20 degrees off TDC.  As a result, when I went to start it, I cracked cylinder #1 and exhaust valves on cyl #1.  I ended up purchasing and upgrading my engine to a 2002 3.6.

AWDGuy,

I was able to correct the problem which was worn belt tensioner pads on the camshaft drive chains.  however, when I put it all back together, my timing was off.  I was 20 degrees off TDC.  As a result, when I went to start it, I cracked cylinder #1 and exhaust valves on cyl #1.  I ended up purchasing and upgrading my engine to a 2002 3.6.

Bummer, sorry to hear about that. May I ask why did you end 20 degrees off and what you did wrong or forgot to do before starting your engine? Also, did you by any chance turn your crank multiple times over by hand before starting your engine?

In any case, enjoy your new 3.6L  :thumbup:

Bummer, sorry to hear about that. May I ask why did you end 20 degrees off and what you did wrong or forgot to do before starting your engine? Also, did you by any chance turn your crank multiple times over by hand before starting your engine?

In any case, enjoy your new 3.6L  :thumbup:

I realized that I was off TDC before I started it and put it back into the car.  What I ended up doing was loosen the camshaft sprokects and rotated the crank to TDC and used the alignment tool to lock in place.  Then I rotated the camshafts on each bank so they aligned up with the casing where the valve cover meets the block.  Everything indicated that it was TDC and the timing was set, but where I failed to check was if cylinder#1 was on compression or exhaust stroke.  I was 180 degrees off.  Minor oversight caused a big problem as you can imagine.

The 3.6 is nice, but it didn't come without headache.  I considered rebuilding my 3.4, but cost and time was equivalent to that of a used engine with less miles.  I decided to go with the upgrade.  It's been educational to say the least.