Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bad Engine/Car Smell

When i drive the car, doesnt seem to matter short or long trip.  I've been noticing a bad smell when i pull into the garage.  I cant quite put my finger on the smell. but it smells bad, not a bunt rubber smell.  Not sure where its coming from.  When I open the deck lid it doesnt appear any stronger in odor.  

I looked under the car no leaks that i can visibly see.  Air filter and cabin filer was just changed.  

2001/996 Carrera 

Ideas? 

When i drive the car, doesnt seem to matter short or long trip.  I've been noticing a bad smell when i pull into the garage.  I cant quite put my finger on the smell. but it smells bad, not a bunt rubber smell.  Not sure where its coming from.  When I open the deck lid it doesnt appear any stronger in odor.  

I looked under the car no leaks that i can visibly see.  Air filter and cabin filer was just changed.  

2001/996 Carrera 

Ideas? 

I just had a similar problem. Turned out it was my floormats which after being saturated with our endless Boston winter actually started stinking like an old shoe. It was brutal - and thank god solveable.  My fault for not bothering with the winter mats. This reminds me gotta by new ones. 

I just had a similar problem. Turned out it was my floormats which after being saturated with our endless Boston winter actually started stinking like an old shoe. It was brutal - and thank god solveable.  My fault for not bothering with the winter mats. This reminds me gotta by new ones. 

The weather here in Bergen, Norway is rainy all year round. Whenever I buy a new car, I always buy proper rubber floor mats. You would be surprised how much water you actually bring into the car with you from your shoes. The 996 do not offer original rubber floor mats, but you can use the set for the 997. I have that in my car, the inside of the car is dry, atmosphere is better and fogging is not an issue. Would strongly recommend it.

thanks 529, no the car was not stored, I drive it all year round. 

Me too! C4 with Vredesteins snow tires - drove through every Boston blizzard to work just for the fun of it. It was awesome - may even slap a plow on it next winter.  Mats just started stinking one day, Lloyd Ultimats on the way from Pelican

The weather here in Bergen, Norway is rainy all year round. Whenever I buy a new car, I always buy proper rubber floor mats. You would be surprised how much water you actually bring into the car with you from your shoes. The 996 do not offer original rubber floor mats, but you can use the set for the 997. I have that in my car, the inside of the car is dry, atmosphere is better and fogging is not an issue. Would strongly recommend it.

Very true. I have Weather Techs which are great - was just lazy and half wanted to kill the old mats to justify new ones for summer. wont do that again.

Had a customer once who had a sulfur type/ rotten egg smell coming from the exhaust pipe off his 997 and some times a light white smoke from the drivers side exhaust tip. Turned out a chipmunk (rodent) had been storing dry dog food in his drivers side muffler !!! Dumped out about 1/2 pound of burnt dry dog food from it , strange thing is he said he didn't even own a dog .. and far as he knew his neighbors didn't either!! lol 

• Upvote 1