Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Because I was going away for a couple of months I decided to change the oil in my 2011 C2S and while I was at it replace the drain plug with a magnetic one from ECS Tuning. I turned the plug in slowly with an allen key (no excess force) and before it was all the way in there was a snap or crack like sound so I backed it out immediately, installed the original one and filled with oil. It started fine and idled with no apparent affects? Upon inspection the magnet on the drain plug has a tiny gouge that occured while screwing it in. If I slide a small screwdriver across the edge of the magnet I get the same sound. Does anyone have any idea what is above the drain hole that the plug could have contacted, perhaps the baffle or is something else there. ECS was of little help! Thanks and photos attached.post-31348-0-66144000-1430237154_thumb.jpost-31348-0-03078900-1430237178_thumb.j

• Moderators

Because I was going away for a couple of months I decided to change the oil in my 2011 C2S and while I was at it replace the drain plug with a magnetic one from ECS Tuning. I turned the plug in slowly with an allen key (no excess force) and before it was all the way in there was a snap or crack like sound so I backed it out immediately, installed the original one and filled with oil. It started fine and idled with no apparent affects? Upon inspection the magnet on the drain plug has a tiny gouge that occured while screwing it in. If I slide a small screwdriver across the edge of the magnet I get the same sound. Does anyone have any idea what is above the drain hole that the plug could have contacted, perhaps the baffle or is something else there. ECS was of little help! Thanks and photos attached.attachicon.gifDrain Plug-2.JPGattachicon.gifDrain Plug-3.JPG

There should not be anything directly above the drain plug that the plug can reach.  The oil pickup is above and to one side, but should be well far enough away to clear, as would the stock baffle (sump cover on the left):

DSC_2018flj.jpg

We have installed quite a few of the LN style magnetic plugs and I cannot say that we have ever had one hit anything:

106-07-150x150.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks for your reply/input but the photo you are showing looks like the 997.1 engine pan. the one I am concerned with is the 997.2 or 9A1 DFI engine.

Sorry, my mistake.  The 9A1 sump cover has the drain off to one side a bit, with the internal baffle above the drain plug opening, but it should also be a bit higher up and not come into contact.  In LN parts, both engines(M96/97 and 9A1) use the same drain plug:

106-00.5-pic1-brs.JPG

Thanks again, as best as I can tell it must have come in contact with the back extension of the baffle which I think is metal on these. The dealer thinks that there be some of the scavenge pump tubing there but they are plastic and off to the side. The plastic couldn't scratch the magnet anyway unless it hit a mounting screw or bolt. If it hit the baffle, is it a cast piece?

• Moderators

Thanks again, as best as I can tell it must have come in contact with the back extension of the baffle which I think is metal on these. The dealer thinks that there be some of the scavenge pump tubing there but they are plastic and off to the side. The plastic couldn't scratch the magnet anyway unless it hit a mounting screw or bolt. If it hit the baffle, is it a cast piece?

The black baffle piece is plastic.

• Moderators

I knew it was on the previous engine but I read somewhere that it was metal on the new one. If its plastic then that's not what it hit.

Next time you change your oil, shine a small flashlight up in the opening and see what is there.  There really should not be any interference.

• Moderators

Thanks, and I may get a hold of a borescope to have a look as well. I appreciate any ideas.

When you have the oil out, take a small section of metal rod, like from a coat hanger, and measure how far up you have to push it before it hits, marking the rod.  Then compare that distance to the length from the mating face of the magnetic plug to the tip of the magnet.  Should give you a reference point of how close the plug comes to hitting. 

I certainly didn't over torque it. I finally found a series of pictures of the inside from one for sale on Ebay. Its pretty clear that the baffle is right above the drain. Also, doesn't look like much clearance!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWER-OIL-PAN-FOR-2009-AND-NEWER-9A1-Porsche-engine-part-9A1-107-320-2R-/171721029616?hash=item27fb5ef7f0&vxp=mtr

• Moderators

I certainly didn't over torque it. I finally found a series of pictures of the inside from one for sale on Ebay. Its pretty clear that the baffle is right above the drain. Also, doesn't look like much clearance!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOWER-OIL-PAN-FOR-2009-AND-NEWER-9A1-Porsche-engine-part-9A1-107-320-2R-/171721029616?hash=item27fb5ef7f0&vxp=mtr

If you look at where the drain plug is, the baffle is on stands cast into the pan, so the baffle is well off the sump floor, and there is even a cut out for the drain plug in the baffle.  So unless the plug you used is unusually long, it should clear:

$_57.jpg

Thanks, but two things of note. When you look at the Porsche parts diagram, the baffle itself is slightly lower than the mounts that attach to the casted stands they mount on. Also. the drain hole itself is recessed on the underside of the pan and  raised slightly on the inside bottom of the pan. You are right that the baffle over the drain hole is cut away a bit but the above two items probably mean there isn't much clearance and the ECS magnetic drain plug measures about 3/8" longer than the original, fortunately I never did put it in all the way. I think at the end of the day all will be fine but a look with a flashlight or borescope might be the best course of action. Perhaps as suggested a small probe to measure with to the baffle.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone determined the depth for the drain plug. I'm about to change my oil (2009 C4S) and would like to get a magnetic drain plug. I see that LN Engineering has one, but its ridiculously expensive and longer than the standard. If somebody has experience either with the LN plug or a 3rd party that fits that would be great.

Has anyone determined the depth for the drain plug. I'm about to change my oil (2009 C4S) and would like to get a magnetic drain plug. I see that LN Engineering has one, but its ridiculously expensive and longer than the standard. If somebody has experience either with the LN plug or a 3rd party that fits that would be great.

I am using the L&N plug in my 9A1 motor (same motor as you) 2014 991S. Fits right. "Ridiculously expensive"? Really?? It's $25.75.

I am using the L&N plug in my 9A1 motor (same motor as you) 2014 991S. Fits right. "Ridiculously expensive"? Really?? It's $25.75.

You might think it's a bit expensive, but think of the benefit if it picks something up as an early warning.  Then its cost will appear almost insignificant.

Edited by Hilux2400

• 2 weeks later...

For whatever it's worth, I too have the LNE plug on my 996 (different engine, I know!) and it fit fine and works fine.  Just another vote for going with a known commodity that works on various engines.  Here is my post on it: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/48463-ln-engineering-magnetic-drain-plug-at-work/?hl=%2Bmagnetic+%2Boil#entry267644