Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 Instrument Panel blue backlite

P.Viby has a good point. This is the place for tech stuff for sure.

I am sure there are dash pod removal instructions elswhere on this site but here goes anyway (assumes a RHD car):

The leds in the dash pod are standard fit. You can even get them in Halfords (in the UK this is sadly our nationwide car bits shop). I bought mine (6 of them) for £5.50 on ebay. I bought ones to fit a Vauxhall Corsa!

To get the dash pod off is a 3 minutes max job (I say that cos I done it at least 10 times ). It should take you no longer than 10 mins.

1. get a large towel and a heavy duty (not flimsy) butter knife.

2. Adjust/pull your driving wheel fully out.

3. Place large towel over the driving wheel and over any exposed dash up to the dash pod as much as possible. This prevents scratches. Preventing scratches is the hardest part. Keep your eye on the left hand (right hand on LHD cars) underside of the dash pod at all times as you remove it.

4. Use the butter knife to prise off the microphone cover on the right of the pod.

5. Use the butter knife to prise off the out cover of the hazard switch. Leave the switch cover it will fall out with the outer cover. It takes some prizing. Again be carefull of scratches and denting the leather. Don't try to prise it off from the tops or bottom. Prise it off from the sides. You can safely stick your knif right in there.

6. Behind the hazard switch and microphone you will see 2 T20 Torque screws. Undo them and a big heave-ho and the dash pod lifts up off the dash.

7. There are three connectors behind the dash pod. Blue, Brown and White. They don;t pull out simply. You have to push the lever down from the connector tops. The lever is actually part of the connector at the lead side. Once the lever is down, the connector simply pulls off.

8. turn the dash pod over on it's back and place on the towel. May have to move the towel up a bit more.

9. You need to use a flat blade screw driver and place it between the center pin of the back of the white hazard switch and black connector. Be careful not to short the pins. Twist the blade of the screwdriver and the switch will pop off its connector. Slide the connector out and lift the dash pod out of the car.

10. The 3 leds you replace will be obvious to you.

All LEDs are Light Emiting "DIODEs" so will conduct in one direction only thus they are polarity based. So you will have to put them in and connect the dash pod and try them. If they don't light up with ignition on then they need a 180 degree twist to correct the polarity. You can't do any harm by getting them in te wrong way since the LED's have sink resistors built-in. They just wont work if in the wrong way. Test again.

If all is well then just reverese the removal procedure to put back.

The pod sort of clicks back into place pushing it down from the top downwards with a small ammount of force. DO NOT HIT IT.

Bingo. Blue lights......or whatever colour you choose of course.

Before anyone asks, it's not possible to changethe aircon llights. They are built onto the circuit board and the facia has an amber filter.

I guess Loren should move this to the DIY section.

BTW: P.Viby, where does everyone get these art style signature avatars from. I want one :thumbup:

Edited by Scouser

Hey Scouser.

I was just about to ask about the Aircon light. It must be possible somehow.

Are the LED standard 3 or 5 mm LED which you can just buy in a electronic shop ?

The avarta is made by a guy on Rennlist which was bored and offered to make them if we just posted a picture. Think it looks cool. Just start up Photoshop and go ahead :D

D A M N just thought about it.

Change the dashboard and aircon light to blue and set the PCM system to daylight only. plus change the small light that point on the center panel to blue also.

All would then be in white, blue and red......more or less.

Edited by P.Viby

Scouser,

Any pics? Like before and after? (during if you have them too)

Loren,

My wife took the digital Camera with her to London so couldn't take any pics.

Next time I take the dash pod off I will take pics.....and it comes off quite often ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Before anyone asks, it's not possible to changethe aircon llights. They are built onto the circuit board and the facia has an amber filter.

Oh yes it is possible to change the aircon lights but it is not an easy job.

The climate control unit has to be taken apart carefully and then the LEDs can be desoldered and replaced with white/blue ones.

It is about a 4 hour job to do and you need to swap over each 3mm square LED one at a time to check the connection as several

are conneted together. The LEDs are tiny and melt if the soldering iron is used for longer than 2 seconds!!! There is a filter which

is yellow on early models and needs to be replaced with a white one.

TB

post-30010-1264526929_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...