Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How Do I Fix: Check Headlamp Beam Adjustment?

49 minutes ago, mbagge01 said:

Lewisweller, what cord are you using to connect vcds to your cayenne. I have tried my durametric and vagcom cord and cannot access the control module. I am using the most recent vcds software on an 04 cayenne turbo.

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/shop/vagcom-15-original-vcds

I bought this cable and downloaded the 15.7.1 version of vcds and it seems to work very well. No label files so you have to know what your looking at. 

So, I seem to have found a fix to the headlight adjustment error I was getting but not entirely sure how to explain it and maybe someone on here might have some insight. I initially replaced both d1s bulbs and headlight control modules (ballasts) and was getting the error, but with both lights working fine. The new ballasts I placed had the same hardware and software part numbers, but different from the older ballasts that were in the car. I then went and changed the right sided ballast back to the old one and the error went away. When I placed the new one back in, the error returned. Given both ballasts are the same part number and turn on the light appropriately why would one of them cause the headlight adjustment error. Could it be an short somewhere on the internal wiring of the ballast causing the error or do some ballast require programming.

16 hours ago, mbagge01 said:

So, I seem to have found a fix to the headlight adjustment error I was getting but not entirely sure how to explain it and maybe someone on here might have some insight. I initially replaced both d1s bulbs and headlight control modules (ballasts) and was getting the error, but with both lights working fine. The new ballasts I placed had the same hardware and software part numbers, but different from the older ballasts that were in the car. I then went and changed the right sided ballast back to the old one and the error went away. When I placed the new one back in, the error returned. Given both ballasts are the same part number and turn on the light appropriately why would one of them cause the headlight adjustment error. Could it be an short somewhere on the internal wiring of the ballast causing the error or do some ballast require programming.

Where are the new ballast from?  Both new or just one and both same suppier? 

I'm betting fake "oem" ballast is the problem a lot of issues with "oem" fakes on amazon eBay etc

Don't think reprogramming is required. 

I bought both ballasts from a reputable company (not ebay) and they are genuine valeo (not stamped OEM porsche though). The strange thing is that the one ballast that throws the error still turns on the light and functions appropriately except for the dash error. 

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Has anyone come up with a solution? I just started getting this message myself- except it goes away immediately and doesn’t show up on the information menu . I have 0 warnings, yet each day it is now doing this. Dealer said I probably need a new headlight assembly for $1300 (part only) because the motor for the headlight alignment is in the headlight assembly. He was shooting from the hip- too busy to check it with the tester. Only problem is that my Xenon headlight assembly isn’t $1300.

Edited by BobbySpeed

• 3 months later...

Hi Guy,
I have also the same issue as yours since I have changed the two ballasts by new OEM ballasts (Valeo).
The ballast command the light "azimut", and need to be set if it is a new one, using the Piwi or VCDS.

Envoyé de mon SM-T580 en utilisant Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going through this as well - bought some non-Osram D1S bulbs (wanted 8000K...) and they seem to have toasted one of my ballasts. Live and learn...

The pictures you posted are of the calibration procedure your new Valeo units need, however although VCDS will perform a lot of functions on the Cayenne, I can not get it to communicate with modules 55, 29 or 39. Plus I don't think Durametric communicates with them either, so this has to be done at the dealer.

The only way around this are supposedly to buy used LAD5G ballasts/control units. I would imaging this works (if it does in fact work) by virtue of a "calibrated" bit being set in the control unit. Although I am surprised the main ECU doesn't also check for a known, calibrate serial number on the ballast. If you run a ballast from another car without calibrating it, I suppose the vehicle it came from should be the same in terms of having air suspension or not etc., so the lights come out at the correct level.

If you are still working on this I can post how it goes with an older replacement unit.

• 1 year later...

Am new here and i know it's an old topic. But for the sake of the people who still have the issue. 

This error comes on when the lens exposure valve goes bad or some wiring issues to it. Literally a electric valve (coil and middle metal pin) connected to an arm to open and close the lense exposure plate. 

It's located right beside the dim beam bulb. Remove the lense assembly and you can see 3 screws holding it. Check it and check the wiring if the isolation is gone since it can cause a short circuit. 

Edited by Faris Bsoul

The issue with me it wasn't this error, it wast the exposure plat for the lift side was fully open and blinding the people infornt of me with no errors. So when i inspected it i saw the valve stock open. 

I decided to remove the metal pin and tighten the arm to keep it close. I did both side. guess what, i got the error. So i installed the pin back but i didn't fix the coil back to it place, instead i tightened it with zip tie to the low beam reflector making sure not to hit anything since it's auto level headlights and thank god the error disappeared. 

While am doing this i isolated all the wires with electrical tape since wires isolation are falling off. You'll have a room to work with when you remove the lens assembly, it's just held by 4 torx screws. 

Hope this will help you to fix it, and report back with your findings. 

Good luck 

Edited by Faris Bsoul

• 5 months later...

Hi

I have a 2004  Cayenne and I had the warning in display. Check Head Beam Adjustment. I got Link error when trying to god dag in with Durametric.... The system works, I did disconnect level sensor and moved them by hand and Lights adjust as expected. But still the error message in display every time I turn the lights on or starts the engine..... So after a lot of troubleshooting  i decided to just to cut of the cable from headlamp to Signal LWR on Onboard computer, connector 12 in light contact..... And the error message in display was Gone 🙂 The auto adjustment still works fine. So then it will be like this on my car 🙂 Happy christmas 

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 12:55 PM, paalgrambo said:

Hi

I have a 2004  Cayenne and I had the warning in display. Check Head Beam Adjustment. I got Link error when trying to god dag in with Durametric.... The system works, I did disconnect level sensor and moved them by hand and Lights adjust as expected. But still the error message in display every time I turn the lights on or starts the engine..... So after a lot of troubleshooting  i decided to just to cut of the cable from headlamp to Signal LWR on Onboard computer, connector 12 in light contact..... And the error message in display was Gone 🙂 The auto adjustment still works fine. So then it will be like this on my car 🙂 Happy christmas 

Hello, do you recall which wire this is?  Or do you have a wiring diagram handy?

Thanks!