Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Moving HVAC Controls upward

I am planning to move the hvac controls from the lower console in my 02 S and place them in the upper spot above the radio.  Can someone help me find what parts I will need to buy to make this switch?  If there is a DIY that would be helpful too.  Thanks!

I'm sorry, I'm new to this forum.  Can you recommend search terms or a specific sub-forum?  I could not find a diy or similar searching HVAC- I found a lot of HVAC related things that werent what I was looking for.

Thanks!

mini-Dash 006.jpg

Edited by cky3k

I did the opposite with my '04. My hvac controls were at the top, and I had them moved to the bottom when a double din radio was installed. Starting from the top just below vents the order on my car was:

1. hvac

2. radio

3. cd slots

4. open bin

If yours is currently in the upper bay of the lower console then I don't think you need any "parts" except if the very bottom bay of the lower console is involved. To move the hvac to the bottom a part had to be ordered from Porsche to surround the hvac control.

The photo you posted confuses me, is this your car or what you want yours to be?

This is how mine is now:

986centercons.jpg

Thanks! The photo is where I want the HVAC to be.  My HVAC is currently exactly where yours is.  I am ultimately going to remove the entire lower console to make room for my leg.

I realize I will need to buy:

2 HVAC T-shaped plastic brackets  (http://www.ebay.com/itm/282058603005?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

1 HVAC trim piece (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-996-Boxster-Heater-A-C-Climate-Control-Trim-Bezel-99655267700-/291864178957?hash=item43f475f10d:g:Ai0AAOSwi0RXyzSp&vxp=mtr)

Are there additional brackets besides the 2 plastic T-shaped slider brackets (And trim frame) that I will need to buy?

Also, what about moving the electrical cables from down below to up top?  Are there any complications here (such as moving the wires around the flat metal plate)?  I have yet to take anything apart.

Finally, does anyone know of a DIY outlining the steps to removing the lower console and/or any other parts to make this switch?  (I may not immediately remove the console)  I assume this process has been outlined somewhere.  I just cannot locate it on here.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, cky3k said:

Thanks! The photo is where I want the HVAC to be.  My HVAC is currently exactly where yours is.  I am ultimately going to remove the entire lower console to make room for my leg.

I realize I will need to buy:

2 HVAC T-shaped plastic brackets  (http://www.ebay.com/itm/282058603005?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

1 HVAC trim piece (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-996-Boxster-Heater-A-C-Climate-Control-Trim-Bezel-99655267700-/291864178957?hash=item43f475f10d:g:Ai0AAOSwi0RXyzSp&vxp=mtr)

Are there additional brackets besides the 2 plastic T-shaped slider brackets (And trim frame) that I will need to buy?

Also, what about moving the electrical cables from down below to up top?  Are there any complications here (such as moving the wires around the flat metal plate)?  I have yet to take anything apart.

Finally, does anyone know of a DIY outlining the steps to removing the lower console and/or any other parts to make this switch?  (I may not immediately remove the console)  I assume this process has been outlined somewhere.  I just cannot locate it on here.

Thanks again!

Thanks Mike Focke-  I am either going to make one or buy that one once I decide I like the new layout.

If anyone can get back to me about the questions above, I will forever be grateful.  Well, at least until the end of the week..

4 hours ago, cky3k said:

Check post # 13 on this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51283-does-anyone-know-vss-wire-02-bose.html

It shows a tip for removing one of the ventilation system ducts that makes moving the control easier.  It also shows some photos that I took when I had my center console disassembled.  I moved my controls down to make room for a double DIN navigation unit. Since the wire harness was long enough to move the control from the top to the bottom, I'm assuming that there is enough harness to move it the other way.  Moving the cable up on the passenger side should be easier than on the drivers side.  You will need to disconnect the connectors from the back of the unit, but when you look at it  the technique should be obvious.

There is also some good information in this tutorial: 

I think I may have the mounting hardware in my garage from the top position.  Let me know if you are interested and I check my garage.

• Upvote 1