Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ctt 06 115,000km

Got some vibration and rumbling that developed over the past 2,000km, usually up around 100-150km, if you hammer it acceleration wise it feels worse. 

Maybe not associated is the passenger side will knock loudly if I hit a speed bump fast as the suspension is compressed. 

I've strip that side replaced the upper control arm which was worn on the ball joint, also rebuilt the driveshaft with new boots and grease. All looks OK and tight. Alignment was done also Ok. Tyres are fairly new about 5,000 km max, so will balance and rotate first and alignment check again before going any further for the vibration and rumble. 

The suspension knock I'm thinking lower control arm inner bushes or top mount bush is smashed to pieces inside the strut?

(Fyi cardan shaft new at 80,000km and not felt in the rear and centre, all front end feeling coming)

What do you reckon guys? 

I can almost bet its the upper shock mount bushings.

Had very similar issue until I did the replacement.  After that, no sound.

I wrote a DIY on here for this.  Look it up.  Not hard to do, just takes time.  If your car is a high mileage vehicle, I would think of replacing the upper control arms too.  they come out with the shock mount replacement, so you can do both at same time.

Edited by ciaka

Thanks Ciaka.

Yep were talking about them thomas. 

Now I wish I had bought some off ebay when Ive been buying other stuff. :blush:

So do we thing the strut mount has an effect on rumbles and steering wheel vibrations as well as the knock? My thinking is not so much but I'm often wrong. 

I think I'm looking at another long day then, will strip out the passenger side to investigate this boost leak noise and at the same time drop out the strut and replace the top mount bush (upper control arm is new just a few weeks ago), same time I will check the inner lower control arm bushes for cracks as well. 

I've got a new upper control arm for the drivers side as well (came as a two pack off ebay) I might as well swap that now as well and replace the strut mount bush and check the inner lower control arm bushes for crack too this side. 

There is no play in the track rod ends and steering feels tight, bottom ball joints look good also so after this little mission the front end should be good to go. 

Not ruling out yet uneven tyre wear and/or wheel balance either! 

Update I had the wheel balanced and the vibration is less. I haven't had time to replace the strut top mounts yet and also the drivers side top control arm. 

Having looked at the lower control arm bushes and ball joints and track rod ends I think the rest of the vibration is the old engine mounts as the 3 transmission mounts are new. 

Lastly the amount of backlash in the front diff hub really signals why I hear the diff whine at higher speeds. 

Anyone done a front diff rebuild on the economical side? I'm quite prepared to strip and replace the bearing and seals as long as the gears are good to go. Changed the diff oil twice no metal at all. 

• 4 weeks later...
Update I had the wheel balanced and the vibration is less. I haven't had time to replace the strut top mounts yet and also the drivers side top control arm. 
Having looked at the lower control arm bushes and ball joints and track rod ends I think the rest of the vibration is the old engine mounts as the 3 transmission mounts are new. 
Lastly the amount of backlash in the front diff hub really signals why I hear the diff whine at higher speeds. 
Anyone done a front diff rebuild on the economical side? I'm quite prepared to strip and replace the bearing and seals as long as the gears are good to go. Changed the diff oil twice no metal at all. 

Please update if/when you get around to this. Thanks. -Matt

2009 Cayenne S

1 hour ago, ma77hewsu11ivan said:

Please update if/when you get around to this. Thanks. -Matt

2009 Cayenne S

I will do yes. I've only got one set of top mount and boot clips and o-rings for one strut, I want to buy another set so I do both sides at the same time. May have to wait until January. 

• Upvote 1