Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Noise when starting Boxster

MY 97 2.5L 986

grinding noise when starting the car. Sound similar to an elephant noise :eek: from experience with other cars it seems like the starter motor gets stuck or something, it grinds then the motor roars normally..never hear the sound again unless I park the car for a long period and the motor is very cold...I think...

similar to this sound just shorter once it hits the high pitch level :huh:

The sound of an Elephant.

Any ideas on what this is?

Edited by scherb

My car (2001 2.7) used to very occasionally make a horrible metal on metal grinding noise. Dealer could not reproduce. Finally, right before warranty ended (February 2005), they replaced the starter. Haven't heard it since. But now, every so often, I get a cross between a sucking/squeal and your elephant sound. It doesn't sound nearly as bad as before. So I guess it's the starter, and not the engine smashing itself apart.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Similar noise on my '98 2.5 manual, workshop says it's starter motor and not to worry - it's something to do with it not disengaging quickly enough, and will eventually need to be replaced, but so long as it's not every time you start the engine it's more annoying than serious.

Interestingly, I had the Idle Stabiliser Control replaced to cure a different problem, and the faster, cleaner start meant that I didn't get the sqeal for a couple of months. Just getting the engine serviced so that it starts more easily could make all the difference.

Best regards

Jon

• 4 months later...
  • Admin
Good day to all! What is the starter PN? 

is this a DIY?

996 604 103 00 Starter -- retail $566.10 (as of Oct 2005)

Doesn't look too hard...

Removal

1. Disconnect battery and cover terminal or bathtery. Open engine compartment lid.

2. Remove air guide from between throttle body and air filter. Take out vent line from between intake distributor and oil separator.

3. Loosen both hose clamps at intake distributor. Unscrew fastening screws (M6) for fuel pipe at intake distributor.

post-2-1129413273.gif

4. Loosen bracket for throttle body on the crankcase. Swing intake distributor and throttle body upwards by approximately 45 degrees and remove bracket on the throttle body.

5. Loosen cable at teminal 30 (M8) and terminal 50 (M6) at solenoid switch. Undo both hexagon head bolts M10 on the starter and remove ground cable. Withdraw starter upwards from its bracket.

post-2-1129413287.gif

Installation

Tightening torques:

Terminal 30 Nut M8 15 Nm (11 ftlb.)

33-96 Terminal 50 Nut M6 6.5 Nm ( 5 ftlb.)

Hexagonhead bolt MI0 45 Nm (33 ftlb.)

MY 97 2.5L 986

grinding noise when starting the car. Sound similar to an elephant noise  :eek: from experience with other cars it seems like the starter motor gets stuck or something, it grinds then the motor roars normally..never hear the sound again unless I park the car for a long period and the motor is very cold...I think...

Any ideas on what this is?

Well here is a thought it might not be the starter. It could be the main drive belt squealing. I had a noise like that but I replaced the main drive belt and it went away. The belt costs less the 20 dollars and can be replaced in less than 30 minutes. Just my thoughts.

• 1 year later...

Here is a twist to this drama, and excuse me if I have not fixed this and closed this case, but I think that having a 113k 2.5L that only has this issue (knock knock on wood)and the findings will be for the better of this community.

the twist: Can this relate at all to the clutch?

Reasoning, when I leave the car parked for more then 7 days I get the sound when I turn the motor on, but also the first times I let go of the clutch to move forward the sound is present at a lower volume level for the first mile or two that I have to shift to get into the freeway.

:drive:

Edited by scherb

schlerb,

You didn't say what mileage is on the car. !!

It it's high, it could be (read probably is) wear in both the starter pinion and the ring gear, bearing in mind that the motor will invariably stop in the same position almost every time, with the result that the starter is engaging on the same teeth of the ring gear time, and time again. This diagnosis will only apply to very high mileage.

On the other hand a squeeling belt.....is a squeeling belt, while a rasping starter pinion, and ring gear is , eh........ a rasping metally sound.

........or it could be an elephant........is there a zoo nearby? hehe

Edited by Donie

I had this problem back in the spring. Turned out that my oil had gone bad a little early and when I changed the oil, the problem went away. I had 7K on Mobil1 oil and it should last to at least 9K. I am now changing at 6K intervals now (please lets not start a thread about 3K oil changes as pushed by the oil industry drug barons!).

The oil had signs of water contamination and breakdown. The theory explained to me was that the oil needs to stick around the lifters after shutdown and get back there PDQ and smothly on startup. If it doesn't, then you get this sound. Thin, broken down oil can cause this - also light viscosity oil in warmer conditions.

If you have low oil miles, never mind, unlikely this is the cause.

The oil had signs of water contamination and breakdown. The theory explained to me was that the oil needs to stick around the lifters after shutdown and get back there PDQ and smothly on startup. If it doesn't, then you get this sound. Thin, broken down oil can cause this - also light viscosity oil in warmer conditions.

Makes sense....

I got this noise once or twice this summer. Happened on very hot days when I parked at work with the front and cabin in the shade and the engine sticking out in the sun.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hasn't happened since the colder weather started.

Now where is some wood to touch ??

My 2000 manual Boxster S, 85000 km. just had the same problem - ironically the problem started the last time I collected the car from Porsche centre when they had to replace a defective ignition switch. (I assume the problems were totally unrelated.) I was in a hurry and was convinced that it was the drive belt, so I drove home and initially it only happened occasionally. The last few times it did it every time, hot or cold. I had a similar noise long ago with a BMW and that was the drive belt - by switching the A/C on and off the noise could be made to go away, but this didn't make any difference with the Boxster. In any case, the workshop manager says it is the starter and they will replace, so we'll see. Luckily still under driveplan. I must say, I have had the car since 80000 km and I am getting all the typical Boxster problems.... :cursing: Not a model of german reliability sofar... noisy cats (one replaced already and they have to do the other one now as well), ECU faulty (engine started and ran, but zero throttle response, so they had to replace the ECU box), ignition switch, starter.

• 3 weeks later...

MY 97 2.5L 986

grinding noise when starting the car. Sound similar to an elephant noise :eek: from experience with other cars it seems like the starter motor gets stuck or something, it grinds then the motor roars normally..never hear the sound again unless I park the car for a long period and the motor is very cold...I think...

Any ideas on what this is?I had what sounds like the matching symtoms in my '99, and the dealer replaced the starter (warranty); problem solved. But the ignition switch may be suspect, I'm guessing this, because when I picked the car up, the piece of black plastic air duct that is below the ignition switch, was on the passenger side floor , the mechanic for got to re-install it. (after testing the ignition switch I would guess)

• 3 months later...

its definitely not the belt, as i replaced my belt 2k miles ago, and it still happens.

ill see what happens with the oil change that ill be doing soon

Edit: jus noticed how old this freaking thread is, or when the last person posted :D

Edited by djomlas

Ok after procrastinating for a long time I have decided to go hunting for the elephant. I ordered a re manufactured starter for 154 usd. I will be doing the repair myself and I will advise if Dumbo is out of my car. Stay tuned.

Edited by scherb

Ok after procrastinating for a long time I have decided to go hunting for the elephant. I ordered a re manufactured starter for 154 usd. I will be doing the repair myself and I will advise if Dumbo is out of my car. Stay tuned.

I hope you, oh great hunter, have a memory like your prey and indeed do not forget to post your progress!

Where did you buy your starter? Not a bad price.

• 1 month later...

Done hunting... Dumbo is out of my car. The instructions on this topic (see prior pages) need a bit more details.

1. Need to be careful with the oil dip stick hose, I broke mine. Remove the dip stick prior to removeing the hose.

2. When the instructions say to rotate the trottle body 45 degrees this should be done on the same axis as the rear axle. (in ordinary words push the trottle body towards the front part of the car)

3. You will have trouble releasing the lower level screw of the starter, you need a flex type bit to be able to rotate in such tight spot.

Overall, you will need 2 hours doing it calmly. I recommend you remove the bracket that holds the air duct.

One more thing. the part I ordered came a bit longer then the starter I had on my car. The fit was fine, the sound of the new starter is a bit sluggish, perhaps is the new sound that throws me off, but, no more dumbo.

I was planning on taking pictures of the process, no time. I am willing to help anyone in the bay area on this job as I now have it very well understood.

Take care and happy hunting!

• 6 months later...

Can somebody repost the sound byte? I am experiencing a strange metal grinding / flapping sound near the intake manifold and was wondering if this could be it. The sound seems to come from the driver side of the intake close to where the power steering fluid fill point is.

Guest carpediemgr

all these noises are normal when the car is cold or have some days to start. why you worry about put a new starter on your cars when the old one is off?

all starters be can repaired at least 1 time by a good electrician mechanic

all these noises are normal when the car is cold or have some days to start. why you worry about put a new starter on your cars when the old one is off?

all starters be can repaired at least 1 time by a good electrician mechanic

What do they do and does it cost that much less than a new or rebuilt unit?