Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post but I have done tons of forum searching and found similar posts but nothing with my same codes. I have noticed a rough idle but once I drive the car drives great and boosts great. Along with the 2 EVAP codes I have P0300, P0301, P0304 and P0308. I have changed the spark plugs and I did a full inspection of the coil packs. The coil packs looked perfect, no cracks or damage and it needed new plugs so I did Beru plugs. In that process I changed the torque arm also because the rubber was shot. That didn't solve the misfire and I didnt notice any wiring issues or connector issues.

Onto the EVAP stuff. I have the two codes P2401 & P0448. Just put a new gas cap on and cleared the codes, they come right back. I also checked the oil fill cap and its seal looks great (no cracks in the oring).

Does anyone have any idea or run into these same symptoms? I have an appointment at my local Indy shop in a few days but would like to go in prepared. They're going to start with a smoke test looking for a vacuum leak.

Thanks in advance,

Evan

22 minutes ago, 06TTS said:

Hello everyone,

This is my first post but I have done tons of forum searching and found similar posts but nothing with my same codes. I have noticed a rough idle but once I drive the car drives great and boosts great. Along with the 2 EVAP codes I have P0300, P0301, P0304 and P0308. I have changed the spark plugs and I did a full inspection of the coil packs. The coil packs looked perfect, no cracks or damage and it needed new plugs so I did Beru plugs. In that process I changed the torque arm also because the rubber was shot. That didn't solve the misfire and I didnt notice any wiring issues or connector issues.

Onto the EVAP stuff. I have the two codes P2401 & P0448. Just put a new gas cap on and cleared the codes, they come right back. I also checked the oil fill cap and its seal looks great (no cracks in the oring).

Does anyone have any idea or run into these same symptoms? I have an appointment at my local Indy shop in a few days but would like to go in prepared. They're going to start with a smoke test looking for a vacuum leak.

Thanks in advance,

Evan

p2401 is the evap detection pump circuit low

P0448 is evap vent valve short circuit 

I would be checking the vent valve first and the wiring, it is probably shorted and knackered and likely causing the p2401 code as a result. 

Fix this first the clear all faults, take for drive and see how it also affects the p0300 codes as well. 

Don't rule out the coils yet if they are old, even though they look OK. How many miles you done?

That makes sense and from my research I found lots of problems with the vent valve. The part you're referring to is right next to the throttle body under the plastic cover that says 4.5 turbo on the right side looking at the motor from the front?

I will check that out in the morning. The car has 98k miles and I'm not sure when the coils were done because I bought it used roughly 3 weeks ago with these codes. I meant to look at the part number on the coils because I wanted to see if they're the new or old version.

Thank you for the relay and information.

-Evan

13 hours ago, 06TTS said:

That makes sense and from my research I found lots of problems with the vent valve. The part you're referring to is right next to the throttle body under the plastic cover that says 4.5 turbo on the right side looking at the motor from the front?

I will check that out in the morning. The car has 98k miles and I'm not sure when the coils were done because I bought it used roughly 3 weeks ago with these codes. I meant to look at the part number on the coils because I wanted to see if they're the new or old version.

Thank you for the relay and information.

-Evan

Yep that's it, its called the Evap Purge Solenoid Valve. About 100 dollars. 

Also have a good look at the wiring to the plug, Thomas had it break inside and was causing him some trouble until he found it and replaced the plug. 

When you unplug it just use a multi meter to test the two pins to measure the purge solenoids resistance it should be quite low maybe 5-15ohms. If high resistance, open circuit or nearly 0 then it faulty for sure. 

The plug will likely be negatively switched so with ignition on you can test the 12v supply is present if you use test between one of the pins and a ground/engine block. (This will generate a p0441 code so expect that and clear it once plug is reconnected and cycle ignition key on off on first)

The plug ground will be via the dme so testing that to engine block/ground won't give you anything tangible I don't think. 

If you don't find anything unusual buzz the solenoid out using two pieces of wire connected to the + battery jump point on the engine bay right side under the beauty cover. Note the positive and negative pin on the purge solenoid by knowing the + wire on the plug and which pin it goes on to. 

• Upvote 1