Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
TyS

No Brake Lights on trailer after factory tow package install

Recommended Posts

I just finished installing a factory tow package on my 2009 Cayenne.  When I hook up to a trailer and test, everything works except for brake lights.  I checked for power at pins 3&9 on the 7-pin and only have power present there with blinker and not brakes.  I've check all fuses related to the tow package (1,3,5,19,&41) and all are good.  I tested the trailer on another vehicle and the brake lights work.  Since I don't have power to those pins, the issue has to be with the Cayenne.  Do I need to have the computer flashed if I am not using electric brakes?  The trailer I will be hooking up to has surge brakes, so I didn't think I needed to visit the dealer.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated!!!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but when I purchased this car, it had a Curt hitch with a flat blade connector in the back compartment.  I didn't trace out and remove this wiring, only the hitch.

Thanks

-Ty

Edited by TyS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

5 hours ago, TyS said:

I just finished installing a factory tow package on my 2009 Cayenne.  When I hook up to a trailer and test, everything works except for brake lights.  I checked for power at pins 3&9 on the 7-pin and only have power present there with blinker and not brakes.  I've check all fuses related to the tow package (1,3,5,19,&41) and all are good.  I tested the trailer on another vehicle and the brake lights work.  Since I don't have power to those pins, the issue has to be with the Cayenne.  Do I need to have the computer flashed if I am not using electric brakes?  The trailer I will be hooking up to has surge brakes, so I didn't think I needed to visit the dealer.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated!!!

Not sure if it makes a difference, but when I purchased this car, it had a Curt hitch with a flat blade connector in the back compartment.  I didn't trace out and remove this wiring, only the hitch.

Thanks

-Ty

The cayenne was renowned for having a faulty rear comfort control module which would not work properly with factory Tow package. Problem resolved by replacement and coding of new module which is by PIWIS unfortunately, note even the dealers sometimes could not get the pesky thing to work properly. Good luck. 

 

https://www.etrailer.com/question-165474.html

 

This thread was very interesting and also if you see they had issue with brake lights not working and bought a kit from Porsche to fix it! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might not be relevant in this case, but I found that if you use a coupling adapter (like a 7 to 4 pin) that has built in LEDs to “test” the lights are functioning it screws up something on the Cayenne side of things and generates weird behaviors and errors (on mine anyways). The test lights are basically useless anyway, because they don’t work properly unless the trailer is attached - so why not just look at the trailer lights...

 

So if your kit (or the left over Curt hitch) for some reason has indicator LEDs it might cause problems. But if it doesn’t probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lewisweller said:

The cayenne was renowned for having a faulty rear comfort control module which would not work properly with factory Tow package. Problem resolved by replacement and coding of new module which is by PIWIS unfortunately, note even the dealers sometimes could not get the pesky thing to work properly. Good luck. 

 

https://www.etrailer.com/question-165474.html

 

This thread was very interesting and also if you see they had issue with brake lights not working and bought a kit from Porsche to fix it! 

 

I'm hoping that the module isn't faulty.  I read your attached thread and it made mention of needing programming/activation if you have PASM, which it does.  Some owners reported that they didn't need any programming for the lights to work, but I wonder if they didn't have air ride.  This is my 1st Porsche (20yrs Audi) and I haven't been to a dealer in at least 17 years.  I was able to program keys, recode features, etc.  I've come to learn that Porsche doesn't offer the same tool to owners at least not without big $$$.  

Since my tow kit is 100% factory, I'm hoping the dealer will just be able to program it with PIWIS.  Thanks for the info...now off to the dealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zakowsky said:

Might not be relevant in this case, but I found that if you use a coupling adapter (like a 7 to 4 pin) that has built in LEDs to “test” the lights are functioning it screws up something on the Cayenne side of things and generates weird behaviors and errors (on mine anyways). The test lights are basically useless anyway, because they don’t work properly unless the trailer is attached - so why not just look at the trailer lights...

 

So if your kit (or the left over Curt hitch) for some reason has indicator LEDs it might cause problems. But if it doesn’t probably not.

Funny...I do have that adapter (Reese) with LED.  Since I had no brake lights, I removed the adapter and tested voltage at the tow hitch plug.  Since it didn't work there, it ruled out the trailer and plug adapter.  But based on what you say, after I get this working I will probably pick up a different adapter to avoid any further issues.  I agree on the test LED...Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to give an update on the trailer brake issue...  I brought the Cayenne to the local Porsche Dealership to have the brake module recoded and that fixed the issue.  The cost was $200 to have the module recoded, but I didn't have any other options.  A lot of owners were lucky and the module worked fine out of the box, but in my case everything worked except the trailer brake lights.  I just ordered a Durametric cable in hopes to avoid future trips to the dealership.  Thanks to all for the assist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Pxwguad
      Hello Everyone,
       
      I currently own a 2010 Porsche Cayenne Base model that has no trailer hitch and I was wondering is the Hitch for the 2007-2010 Audi Q7 or VW Touareg interchangeable with the Cayenne's? Its hard to find a used OEM Cayenne Hitch but I can find plenty of VW and Audi ones and at a better price. Any input would help. Thanks in advance.
       
      Sincerely,
       
      Paul
    • By Markotime
      CEL came on, no missing or other noticeable engine anomaly.
      El cheapo ELM OBDII reader produced these codes:  Was able to extinguish CEL.
      P3104 Intake manifold air control solenoid - short to positive
      P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Intermittent
      P0204 Injector 4 – circuit malfunction
      This suggests an intermittent wiring short.  Any ideas on where such might have occurred?
      Thanks in advance
       
    • By StevieG
      Hi Porsche Gurus
      I’m trying to troubleshoot a little issue I have that just my drivers door courtesy lights (and drivers sunvisor light but not sure if that’s different issue) don’t work, both the red and white ones and only the one door(rhd car) 
      now ive checked the common things like all the fuses and the wiring to see if they were damaged or corroded but they seem fine,
      The one thing I would like to check but can not find any info on is where or what is the switch or sensor that tells the lights that the door is open to turn the lights on? 
      If I can find that then that will at least eliminate all manual fixes that I can think of unless any of you have come across this before, if it’s something simple and I look like a fool for not thinking of it then I’m happy to be a fool as long as the lights work:)
      any help would be much appreciated 
      thanks 
      Stevie G 
    • By loganmarriott
      Hello
      Im working on a unique porsche project and as part of it im looking to use the current (>2016) generation 95B Macan LED HeadLights. 
      What im looking for is the Wiring Diagram from the service manual program, so i can trace what needs to be connected to where relative to my 997.1 wiring harness.
      Yes, im aware this will be difficult. Im not looking to just plug and play.
      I already have all the wiring for the 997.1 and 997.2 cars (and a few others)
      Can anyone help
       
      Regards
      Logan Marriott
    • By Al4S
      Hi guys, looking for some help with the wiring behind the dash on a 911 3.2 Carrera. My customer has fitted a new loom behind the dash and repaired the instrument wiring. I’ve managed to sort out the fuse box wiring connections and corrected the wiring to the clocks/Speedo etc. I am having a problem getting the wipers and indicators to work. The hazards work when activated but the indicators won’t do anything. I have wiring diagrams but can’t seem to indentify 4 wires. They are located up by the cigar lighter wiring behind the dash panel. The wires are red/black, black/blue, brown and grey/Green. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have a relay 911 618 102 01 which I can’t find a location for. Thanks in advance for any help 

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.