Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What happens when unlock the car with remote?

Hi,

when I unlock the car with the remote I can hear the power lock and immediately afterwards a jarring sound! Therefore the above question, what all is "moved"

when I press the unlock button! The power lock of the driver and passenger door and something else, which I need to locate to grease or so!

I have deleted the seat memory for the key, but the jarring sound still comes up!

Where can I look?

Thanks, Marco

Year and model would help.  When you press the unlock on the remote, both doors unlock and the frunk lid and engine lid buttons (or cable pulls depending on year) unlock.  Maybe it is one of those.  Try unlocking the car while listening to where the sound is coming from, i.e., inside the door, at the bottom of the door and so on.  Does it do the same thing when you use the dash lock/unlock button?  Maybe while sitting in the car you can lock/unlock and determine where the noise is coming from. 

my key only unlocks doors.  there is a separate button for front compartment.   2003 C4$

are you sure the sound is not just the door lock mechanism?

It's possible there is a loose part of the window regulator assembly that's getting bumped.

This might involve the parts for the windows to drop down just a little bit when door is opened, and then go back up when door is closed.

I'm not sure if windows also drop a little on opening door on a cabriolet.  Possible.

Good luck.

15 hours ago, wizard said:

Hello.

The door latch?

Do you also get the jarring noise if you manually unlock the door with your key?

No!

14 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

Year and model would help.  When you press the unlock on the remote, both doors unlock and the frunk lid and engine lid buttons (or cable pulls depending on year) unlock.  Maybe it is one of those.  Try unlocking the car while listening to where the sound is coming from, i.e., inside the door, at the bottom of the door and so on.  Does it do the same thing when you use the dash lock/unlock button?  Maybe while sitting in the car you can lock/unlock and determine where the noise is coming from. 

Oh, sorry! I thought in the 996 range the lock is the same! I have a 2004 996 C4 4S coupe (sunroof)! The problem is, that I hear the jarring sound only, if I have not unlocked the door for an hour or so! Therefore my question to limit the parts to check! As far as I could determine so far, the sound does not come from the doors, but not 100% sure!

9 hours ago, judgejon said:

my key only unlocks doors.  there is a separate button for front compartment.   2003 C4$

It's possible there is a loose part of the window regulator assembly that's getting bumped.

This might involve the parts for the windows to drop down just a little bit when door is opened, and then go back up when door is closed.

I'm not sure if windows also drop a little on opening door on a cabriolet.  Possible.

Good luck.

I think the sound is not coming from one door!

Thanks for the replies so far!

15 hours ago, wizard said:

Hello.

The door latch?

Do you also get the jarring noise if you manually unlock the door with your key?

No, then only the door opens!

10 hours ago, judgejon said:

Good luck.

Oh, sorry! I thought in the 996 range the lock is the same! I have a 2004 996 C4 4S coupe (sunroof)! The problem is, that I hear the jarring sound only, if I have not unlocked the door for an hour or so! Therefore my question to limit the parts to check! As far as I could determine so far, the sound does not come from the doors, but not 100% sure!

10 hours ago, judgejon said:

Good luck.

I don´t think the sound is coming from one door! The windows drop down when the door is open, but not when unlocked!

Thanks for the replies so far!

Edited by thormann

another thought...

I had to have window regulator replaced in drivers door as window was not lowering when door opened and was hitting the molding when closing.  A bit of a pain..

Regulator assembly replaced and now window drops a little bit as it should, but makes kind of a thud sound when going up as door is closed.  Might need an adjustment, but I'm for sure not taking door apart to do that.

Maybe your sound is something like that?  Kind of a thud from top of window area when door is closed and window goes back into fully closed position?

Hope you figure it out.  This kind of stuff drives me crazy too.   Cheers,

And another thought - there is one more thing that unlocks when you unlock the car, the fuel filler lid.  Maybe that is sticking or is not aligned properly.  You could put your ear down next to the fuel filler lid and unlock the car...see if the noise is from that.

Thanks again for the replies!!

12 hours ago, judgejon said:

another thought...

I had to have window regulator replaced in drivers door as window was not lowering when door opened and was hitting the molding when closing.  A bit of a pain..

Regulator assembly replaced and now window drops a little bit as it should, but makes kind of a thud sound when going up as door is closed.  Might need an adjustment, but I'm for sure not taking door apart to do that.

Maybe your sound is something like that?  Kind of a thud from top of window area when door is closed and window goes back into fully closed position?

Hope you figure it out.  This kind of stuff drives me crazy too.   Cheers,

It makes me crazy, too! The windows goes only down a bit, when I open the door! But the sound is already there when unlocking the car

4 hours ago, DBJoe996 said:

And another thought - there is one more thing that unlocks when you unlock the car, the fuel filler lid.  Maybe that is sticking or is not aligned properly.  You could put your ear down next to the fuel filler lid and unlock the car...see if the noise is from that.

Very good idea, that was the solution for me, I thought! I tried immediately with the fuel lid open, but the sound is not coming from there. The pin of the lid and the rest of the power lock seem to move almost to the same time. And immediately afterwards, I hear this stupid jarring sound!

By the way, it only happens, when unlocking the complete car with the remote! It does not happen, when unlocking the hood with the remote (although the doors will be opened as well)!

Meanwhile I assume, this is something of the seat memory! However, I have deleted it for this key! Very annoying...

It'll be interesting to see what happens after pulling the seat fuse. But, if that isn't it, some questions come to mind.

You say the sound does not come from one door. So does it come from the other door?

Do you have a second remote? If so, does using both remotes end up with the same problem?