Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Accident in my boxster.-

Difficult to explain, My boxster has left a curve when cruise speed was about 130-140km/h, began to skid in three/four rounds.

Pirelli Pzero Rosso N4 225/40 ZR18 front, 265/35 ZR18 rear (13.000 kms) Tyre pressure tested the day before. 2.0kg front and 2.5 rear. TC on.

I dont know reason and its very important, I have lost trust in my car... :(

here you have result.

I post the tyre status for you to see if this could be the reason.

How cost the repair? :help:

post-3924-1117929828_thumb.jpg

post-3924-1117929888_thumb.jpg

post-3924-1117929964_thumb.jpg

post-3924-1117930123_thumb.jpg

Edited by valcax

It looks like you will need a new front bumper ($300), a headlight trim piece ($30), and a new paint job to the rear ($500?). Shouldn't be a lot.

You could take this opportunity to get a 996 front bumper or a 3rd party item.

BTW, your front bumper doesn't look like an S item.

I thought you said you car was a 986 base model? To each his own but if that is NOT a "S" model which it doesn't look like you really will be looked down upon in the Porsche community for slapping on a model designation that the car is not. My first mod would be to either take that "S" off or take the entire model designation off. Very poser-style.

As for your accident. It appears that it is just cosmetic. New bumper, paint, etc. should be under $1K especially if you buy the parts used.

One more thing, it's not the car you should have lost trust in. That car can handle more than you can give it. 99.9% of the time it comes down to driver error. Do some DE events and learn how to drive it. That is why I register for every one I can so I can learn to drive the car better. Go for a lap with an instructor driving your car and you will quickly learn how capable that car is.

• Moderators

Your rear tires are pretty shot. To be honest, the P-Zero Rosso is a pretty mediocre tire to start with and by the time they get down that close to the wear bars, even on dry roads they are way past their best.

Having said all that, the reason you went off the road is because of driver error. Did you go into the corner too fast and lift off the throttle? That will induce a spin in a heartbeat. Did you go into the corner too fast, feel you were going off the outside of the corner and turn-in more or worse jerk the wheel? Notice the common theme. You entered the corner too fast. You should not lose faith in the car, but your ability to drive the car - sorry to state such a blunt truth! Traction control will do nothing to stop a spin. It's not like PSM (Porsche Stability Management) that monitors steering input, individual wheel speed and vehicle yaw and will detect a spin and attempt to correct it. Traction Control simply monitors the difference in speed between the front an rear wheels and attempts to reduce rear wheel speed if it detects too large a difference.

As Dale mentioned, once you get your car fixed, find an organisation that runs high performance driving events at a local racetrack and get signed up. Not only will you have a great time, but you will learn the limits of your car in a safe controlled environment.

Graeme

Your rear tires are pretty shot.  To be honest, the P-Zero Rosso is a pretty mediocre tire to start with and by the time they get down that close to the wear bars, even on dry roads they are way past their best.

Having said all that, the reason you went off the road is because of driver error.  Did you go into the corner too fast and lift off the throttle?  That will induce a spin in a heartbeat.  Did you go into the corner too fast, feel you were going off the outside of the corner and turn-in more or worse jerk the wheel?  Notice the common theme.  You entered the corner too fast.  You should not lose faith in the car, but your ability to drive the car - sorry to state such a blunt truth!  Traction control will do nothing to stop a spin.    It's not like PSM (Porsche Stability Management) that monitors steering input, individual wheel speed and vehicle yaw and will detect a spin and attempt to correct it.  Traction Control simply monitors the difference in speed between the front an rear wheels and attempts to reduce rear wheel speed if it detects too large a difference.

As Dale mentioned, once you get your car fixed, find an organisation that runs high performance driving events at a local racetrack and get signed up.  Not only will you have a great time, but you will learn the limits of your car in a safe controlled environment.

Graeme

I think you have got reason in some things, but dont tell me pzero rosso is a mediocre tire because other best car makers install pzero in their cars. (as ferrari) Anyway, which tire would you install?

Other thing, could you think there is something on the road to spin (oil spots, fuel, concrete, etc....) not only is driver condition.

Regards.

Valcax, Don't get too down hearted. Your pride and bumpers are hurt only, so be thankful for that.

As others have mentioned, the car will outperform all but the best of drivers, I'll stick my hand up and say I'm still learning. The tyre contact patch is about the size of the palm of your hand, its asking a lot to tame 1 tonne of metal thats capable of more than 150mph. The key to good driving is smoothness, whether on the track or going to the shops. Progressive throttle, feeding brakes and smooth steering are rewarded. Snatch any of the controls (including lifting off throttle too quickly) will have the four handfuls of rubber grasping for grip. Even with PSM, if you are stupid the car will bite you. All Porsches have been considered a 'slow in - fast out' car for the corners.

Looking at your car set up, you have 18" wheels with a N4 compound on a 2.5 Boxster. This is hard to comment as Porsche have not approved an 18" setup for that car. Perhaps the wheel offset may be incorrect for your car and adversely affected the handling? Also, most factory 18" setups require a N1 tyre. (You asked what tyre choice people recommend? I swear by Michelin Pilot Sport N1)

Looking at your car set up, you have 18" wheels with a N4 compound on a 2.5 Boxster. This is hard to comment as Porsche have not approved an 18" setup for that car. Perhaps the wheel offset may be incorrect for your car and adversely affected the handling? Also, most factory 18" setups require a N1 tyre. (You asked what tyre choice people recommend? I swear by Michelin Pilot Sport N1)

I dont understand what you mean, car is equipped with 18" tires by factory and its showed in option codes card. Porsche approves only N* tyres but number is not important, it only indicates different homologation years.

Regards.

N is not for years. N just indicates the iteration in that series of tire.

Valcax, what seems to be the problem here is that you don't want to believe that your car could have done this by any means other than fault of THE CAR. You need to understand that driver error exists in ALL of us. The most experienced drivers have accidents.

Quit trying to look for an excuse. Accept the blame. Get some DE's under your belt and then we will talk. At this point you just don't seem to want to accept that you messed up. Sad, because that is how accidents happen AGAIN.

N is not for years.  N just indicates the iteration in that series of tire.

Valcax, what seems to be the problem here is that you don't want to believe that your car could have done this by any means other than fault of THE CAR.  You need to understand that driver error exists in ALL of us.  The most experienced drivers have accidents.

Quit trying to look for an excuse.  Accept the blame.  Get some DE's under your belt and then we will talk.  At this point you just don't seem to want to accept that you messed up.  Sad, because that is how accidents happen AGAIN.

Ok, let´s see... Only I would like to know the reason, no more! I am thinking about six days but I will never know. I am a normal driver, not a race driver and I can make mistakes as many others. I would like to be guilty because it means my car has not any problem and that I made a mistake. In this way I could correct my driver experience. But Seriously I think there was any on the road.

Regards.

Check your rear alignment. This is kind of more difficult since it swapped ends a few times which is not something that is gentle on your suspension. I also don't mean if it's within spec or not since the specs are wide. I mean aligned to your driving needs by a shop that knows how to do performance/race Boxster alignments. If your rear alignment has gone out (particularly too little toe in), your car will be particularly unstable. Most people will not find this out until they push it too far. There are other possible contributing factors such as the driver, exact road surface conditions, etc. I don't think it's your tires. I had some joke N-rated Continentals and I trusted the car. It just had much lower limits of adhesion, but this will have little effect on overall balance/skittishness. If you are concerned about trusting your car, run even more toe in--like 996 rear toe in. You will wear out tires faster, but this may help you regain confidence in your car so that you can learn to drive it again. Good luck, and I agree, though, lose the S.

Interesting question, based on the limited information you provided it appears the problem lies between the front seat and the steering wheel. You mentioned your Boxster left the curve at about 130 to 140kph. That is about 80 to 90 miles per hour. How sharp was the curve? Unless you are in a formula one car and you are J Montoya, it does not matter what kind of tires you have, you will loose control. Be thankfull the damages appear to be cosmetic, they can be easily repaired. Find a cheap reputable shop get it fixed at a discount and take the money you saved and take driving lessons. We all can use professional instruction, I remember several years ago when I took a driving class and I had my 97 BMW 328i that was mildly modified(M package) on the track. I was playing cat and mouse with my instructor in his 1980's P.O.S. all stock RX7 with the stock 14inch all season radials and he was able to easily pass me. That was all driver skill...With that in mind take some classes it will help you get trust back in your car (or yourself)

Looks like quality work.

With regards though to your rear decklid......You really need to remove the "S" from that car. Nothing worse than applying a badge (emblem) to a car that it is not and looking like a poser.

Looks like quality work. 

With regards though to your rear decklid......You really need to remove the "S" from that car.  Nothing worse than applying a badge (emblem) to a car that it is not and looking like a poser.

.. you mean like the countless "M" badges and "AMG" badges I see on the way to/from work? Sheesh. "Wow, must be that limited edition 318i M"

Not to divert the conversation on this event..but in regards to POSERs... what is the feeling about caliper painting? I like to do mine but just thta factor of poser id preventing me from doing so... Would be interested in thoughts around this... MY97 986 Silver (maybe RED possibly YELLOW).

RE: Caliper painting.

IMHO...I think caliper painting is fine as long as you are painting them red and done professionally so they it looks like the factory brakes. Brembo brakes (what is on these cars) are red not black and the brakes on these cars are larger than just about every other car on the road today. I understand that Porsche wanted to paint the brakes black to denote entry level model, red to denote the higher level model, and yellow for the PCCB top of the line model. But......they screwed that up when they painted the S brakes on teh 986 red that are the EXACT same brakes as the standard black ones on the 996 narrowbody cars.

So, black or red is fine on any model of Porsche. But, yellow should be left to those guys with PCCB.

I am just one of those guys that belives Brembo calipers should be red no matter what size they are. Have you seen some of the older brakes systems on the 911???

Anyway, just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

Did you have a flat tire on the passenger rear

after the accident? Your pictures don't show that

tire.

I check my tires regularly and went out the

other day for a drive. I got a flat on my passenger

rear tire and couldn't feel it. I was on surface

streets (30mph or less) and was told by a car

next to me at a stop light, that I had a flat. I

was glad I wasn't on the freeway. Oh, I also

have 18 inch tires.