Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant tank threads

I put in a new coolant tank about 2-3 years ago, due to the original one leaking.  I replaced the cap with a band new one and all has been fine.  Lately the cap has been coming loose as the engine heats up and coolant bubbles out of it and smokes like crazy.  I bought a brand new cap, tightened it up before I left for work today, and as I got back in my car to leave, the cap was completely loose.  I drove it for about 15 minutes and the cap was loose again.  Faulty threads on the tank?  2000 C2 Cab

Edited by chomper129

genuine tank from Pelican Parts.  I don't think its ever been cross threaded.  Ive only taken it off and on a couple times.  The price of a new tank is so high for what it is, and its a pain to get in and out.  I guess i'm outta luck?

If the brand new cap was genuine parts too, I can't think of why it will come loose other than thread damage on the tank. Have you taken a closer look at the threads on the coolant tank and see if they are stripped?

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, chomper129 said:

genuine tank from Pelican Parts.  I don't think its ever been cross threaded.  Ive only taken it off and on a couple times.  The price of a new tank is so high for what it is, and its a pain to get in and out.  I guess i'm outta luck?

Be very circumspect about what they call "genuine" or "original equipment", we have seen more than one example of cheap aftermarket stuff being substituted and called "OEM".

Get the real thing from a dealer; not cheap, but replacing ain't fun either...………..

^Good point, John.

The genuine tank for a 2000 is ~$488 (from sunsetporscheparts.com). If your tank was "only" $200~250, it's likely an aftermarket unit, perhaps with a very confusing name such as "OEM" or "Originally equipped".

Edited by Ahsai

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ahsai said:

^Good point, John.

The genuine tank for a 2000 is ~$488 (from sunsetporscheparts.com). If your tank was "only" $200~250, it's likely an aftermarket unit, perhaps with a very confusing name such as " OEM" or "Originally equipped".

Pelican has a long reputation for doing this, which is why some don't do business with them.

I recently had a similar experience. My 19 yearly coolant tank sprung a leak on the back side. I replaced it with an "OEM" not genuine tank to save $, and despite having a new genuine Porsche coolant cap, the cap just would not snug, spewed a lot of coolant after a drive, and ruined the coils on that side. I ended up having to redo the whole repair with a genuine Porsche tank and replace coils. I had the same experience with MAF replacement. Buy genuine "Porsche".