Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine tick....Data pulled from Durametric

Loren, Jeff, and Others:

Over the last two years, you have assisted me with addressing the "tick, tick, tick" my 04 986s, 3.2 engine exhibits. No success achieved.. Did thermal spring upgrade, no success. 

After reading more on the blog, I now have data I pulled from my Durametric software for interpretation.

A review: I have a tick that gradually develops from a oil temp of 75C to 82C and after. The engine during warm-up has no issues, quiet, then when nearing 80C it begins its ticking. I also have two codes that are now present. P1325 (inlet camshaft Bank 2) and P1126 (Ox sensing lower load range, Bank 1). So, I addressed the 1325 first by reading about cam, pads, tensioners, and solenoids. The only info I could find was for the 996. Not sure if that would apply. Two items to mention is when raising the RPM slightly (100 rpm) when at operating temp, the ticking disappears and idle is slightly ill regular at cold start, then disappears.

Here is the data from the Cam fields:

Oil Temp: 81C (both data sets)

Idle: 750 (ticking)

Cam Shaft 1: 1.45

Cam shaft 2: 1.38

*Act Cam 1:  1.0 to -.5

*Act Cam 2:  .01 to -.6

Spct Cam 0.00

Spct Cam 0.00

Held at 2K RPM (not ticking)

Cam Shaft 1: 1.45

Cam shaft 2: 1.38

*Act Cam 1:  1.06 to -.7

*Act Cam 2:  1.00 to -.6

Spct Cam 1.00

Spct Cam 1.00

* These are averages as the values fluctuate during data collection.

Any guess on what why I have the codes or the ticking? Suggested next steps to solve codes and ticking.

Ed 

The best is to upload a sound clip here. It's possible you have bore scoring.

Regarding P1325, have you trued activate the variocam on each bank using Durametric? Does the actual angle change if you rev the engine to 3.5-4k? It should.

1 minute ago, a99C4tip said:

Isn’t there a vacuum line with valve on it Boxster driver’s (US) that ticks now and then and sounds exactly like a lifter?

I have picture of it somewhere. Drove me nuts. 

The evap regen valve ticking will sound quite different (much faster ticking than lifters) hence my suggestion of a sound clip.

Here is a link with the ticking sound. The engine is at 81 degrees C. Please note after the rev-up, the ticking quiets down for a few seconds, then after the idle re-establishes itself, the ticking returns. Will try requested test on variocam hopefully later today. More apparent from drivers side of car, than right.   Ed

Sorry to say but that sounds like bore scoring to me. You can use an endoscope to inspect the cylinders from the spark plug holes.

Check these excellent videos from Jake Raby and learn all you need to know about bore scoring. There are 7 parts.

Thanks for referral....after viewing videos, I noticed there are some statements and conditions that do not match my symptoms. I will do the spark plug torque, inspect oil filter element, view drained oil from latest oil change, and send oil for analysis. Have ordered Engine Ear to determine if "ticking"   is case related or cam cover.  Will report when I have more info...Thanks to GSpence2, and Ahasi, for input!