The RennTech.org community is Member supported!  Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating.
Click here to Donate

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 C4S

You fix one thing and another shows up unannounced and usually unwanted.... We successfully removed the gas tank, made repairs and were successful

fixing a leak and stopped escaping fumes.  See my earlier post... "Removing the gas tank on a 996 C4S"

When I asked my helper if the steering shaft went back in from where it had been, Josh said yes...  Josh didn't mark the parts, he just relied on nothing had moved.  Over 3 months and moving parts around we ended up with the steering wheel about 20 degrees out of sync with the wheels.  Plus, we had a dead spot in the neutral wheel position.  We decided that the dead spot was from lack of bleeding.

I left a post to confirm I could re-clock the steering wheel...  JFP in PA replies (the guy must never sleep) yes...  I disconnected the battery, waited the suggested 30 minutes or more to disconnect the steering wheel airbag.  I moved the wheel to sycn the steering wheel to the front wheels, all of a sudden after tightening down the steering shaft nut I find the dead spot in the steering...

3 spoke factory steering wheel, at least I assume so since it has a 996 P/N. Immediately I see that the splines in the pot metal wheel hub are nearly non-existent. The steering shaft is not tapered.  The shaft nut (24mm or a 15/16 6pt)keeps the wheel from leaving the car, but the steering wheel rotates on the steering shaft before engaging the steering rack.  There's so little engagement of the splines that it worries me that the wheel could rotate further creating more than a small dead spot.  And why wasn't it doing the same thing before now...

All suggestions, comments, are always appreciated...

Mitch

IMG_2190.jpeg

Oh no.  Unbelievable.  How could you possibly steer the car?

No real clue except figure out part numbers and have fun.

With some decent splines remaining, I wonder about a thin wrap of foil or sheet metal, And then just pounding the wheel down on it?  I may have seen that in a cartoon.  It might actually work in a cartoon or McEiver episode.

how could this have happened?

best thoughts, Mitch.  good luck, jl

• Upvote 1

Jon, 

After writing this white paper, I hate to admit this, the steering wheel isn't loose on the steering shaft.  There still could be air in the system because my car has a remote reservoir some distance away from the rack and pinion.

What got me to this major concern and observation is a math problem.  When you turn the wheel The nut and shaft rotate maybe an 1/8", but the steering wheel rim turns/rotates maybe 1.5" do to the larger diameter.  All the bolting and shaft engagement are good so nothing is going to come apart.  We have a good alignment shop in the next town west, if nothing changes after putting some miles on the car I'll make an appointment with the alignment shop.

Oh, to answer your question, "how did this happen"...  We had to take down the gas tank to solve a gas leak and a bad solenoid in the charcoal recovery system. everything under the gas tank had to be removed including the rack and pinion / plus suspension parts.  Actually I had the same idea of using aluminum foil, or as you suggested brass shim stock.

Well Jon I'm glad to see you're still on the job...