Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mystery of the 987 Side Vent Removal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

FWIW, and I realize the last post in here was over a year ago, I just took the baffle out of my 05. The top came out pretty easily, the middle was a bit of a pain, but it suddenly came free, making the bottom one much looser. I broke one tab removing the baffle plate, which is now hanging on the wall of the garage in case it ever goes back in. All told it took maybe 15 minutes, including running back upstairs to the PC to ensure I had the right tabs slated for removal. I used parietta's idea of gutterguard and tiewraps and took it for a quick burn down the street - can hear a slight difference from inside, but a friend did this on his last year and it does sound substantially more throaty from the outside (on his - I need someone to do a drive-by for me - maybe at the Porsche AutoX on Thursday...)

Thanks to all for the detailed directions, hints and pictures!

:renntech:

I can't get the silver vent off at all! Top bit came loose but the middle won't budge! I tried attacking the plastic black tabs visible under the vent but no luck :(
  • Like 1

• Admin
A guy name Bisi did back to back on his Dynapack, result was dyno proven 5hp and 3ft/lbs or torque gain on his desnorkled 986.

I can make back to back to back dyno runs on my car with nothing changed and get more HP every time.

See my blog entry here for my of my thoughts on product claims and dynos...

Mine is an 05 987 base - not after the HP, just after more of that lovely noise. Exhaust is next - or is it front sway bar... decisions, decisions (or suggestions - it's all good :)

A guy name Bisi did back to back on his Dynapack, result was dyno proven 5hp and 3ft/lbs or torque gain on his desnorkled 986.

I'm just wondering any 987 owners has performed this?

• 2 months later...
Mine is an 05 987 base - not after the HP, just after more of that lovely noise. Exhaust is next - or is it front sway bar... decisions, decisions (or suggestions - it's all good :)

I'm just wondering any 987 owners has performed this?

Hi Guys,

i have done this mod at my 987S recently and posted my work on a german forum.

There was a guy who has done some official research on that topic at Porsche and quoted that this plate is essential for shedding of water and dust.

The engine could be seriously damaged from water dropping through the air filter....or whatswhoever..

Does any of you guys have seen any problems with water or dust getting into the air filters?

Did you have to change the filters more frequent after De-Snorkeling?

Thanks and Greetings from Germany

Supercrosser