Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where can I get a spare key?

Hello everybody,

I just bought a 2003 Boxster with 9600 miles. The problem is that the car came only with ONE KEY! How can I obtain a spare key without spending all the cash the dealer wants? Any Ideas?

:(

Thanks

From what I understand you CANNOT use an "extra" key somebody is selling on eBay and then have it reprogrammed for your car.

Have you tried calling the dealer? Or are you just thinking it is going to be WAY overpriced? Besides the dealer MUST program it for you.

Did you buy the car private party or dealer? If it was private party have you asked them what happened to the other keys (this would scare me knwoing that the 2nd master and the valet key are out there)? If it is a dealer why wasn't this included with your purchase?

From what I understand you CANNOT use an "extra" key somebody is selling on eBay and then have it reprogrammed for your car.

Have you tried calling the dealer? Or are you just thinking it is going to be WAY overpriced?  Besides the dealer MUST program it for you. 

Did you buy the car private party or dealer?  If it was private party have you asked them what happened to the other keys (this would scare me knwoing that the 2nd master and the valet key are out there)?  If it is a dealer why wasn't this included with your purchase?

Thanks for the reply. I bought the car from an internet used car dealer in Chicago. He did not have the spare keys. Apparently they were lost at some point.

I really was not concerned because I got a great deal on a car that is in MINT condition.

But to answer your question, yes, I think the dealer is going to want an arm an a leg for the key. I will call today to get his bottom line price.

Thanks

Once a key is programmed to a vehicle, it will only work with that vehicle. This is because in the new generation of immobilizers, there is a two-way communication between the key transponder and the immobilizer. When the key's electronic serial number is programmed into the car, the car's serial number is burned into the key. This is a one time only process, the key will not be able to have another serial number programmed to it.

It is also a good idea to obtain another key and have it programmed, you say the other keys were 'lost'? The process of programming keys will 'lock out' any others that aren't programmed at the same time, rendering them useless.

Once a key is programmed to a vehicle, it will only work with that vehicle. This is because in the new generation of immobilizers, there is a two-way communication between the key transponder and the immobilizer. When the key's electronic serial number is programmed into the car, the car's serial number is burned into the key. This is a one time only process, the key will not be able to have another serial number programmed to it.

What is your source for this statement?

It is also a good idea to obtain another key and have it programmed, you say the other keys were 'lost'? The process of programming keys will 'lock out' any others that aren't programmed at the same time, rendering them useless.

This is news that might help me sleep better! My C4 was bought as a CPO car at a dealer, but the original owner didn't turn the keys in. The dealer offered to get a new key and program it as part of the deal.

I was concerned that there are other keys "out there" but this statement would seem to indicate why the dealer needed both the car and the master key to program the spare. I sure hope it's true that this action disables any existing keys not present at programming time.

I am reasonably certain that the car's ecu can have at most 3 or 4 keys to which it will respond (it is at least 3 as that is how many keys the car comes with. It has been bandied about before that 4 is the max). If you had your car synced to your existing keys then any earlier keys that could start your car will no longer work.

I am not aware of the process where the car's serial number is burned into the key. If this were the case then if your ecu were to fry you would have to get new keys. There have been people who have done engine upgrades (boxster 2.5/2.7 to 3.4) and no one has mentioned the need for new keys (though maybe they forgot to tell us). As far as I know they just had their old keys synced to the new ecu.

• Admin

Page 96 D-3 from the Carrera Service Manual (supplement 84 - 2003):

The transponder coil reads the transponder code out of the transponder.

The signal converter obtains the transponder code from the signals sent by the transponder, and then sends this code on to the alarm system control module. With the help of the 9588 Porsche System Tester II, the transponder of the key inserted in the ignition can be adapted to one of the four memory locations for transponders. The first time the transponder is adapted, its Secret Key is programmed. The Secret Key of the transponder can no longer be overwritten, i.e. a programmed and adapted transponder is permanently assigned to one vehicle.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your responses. I contacted Sunset regarding this matter and I was told that the remote can only be programmed for one vehicle. in other words the remote needs to be purchased new. So the most economical solution that Sunset and I agreed on was to purchase the new remote ($89.71), and a blank key ($13.00). Once I receive them I will take them to my local dealer and have the key cut and the remote programmed. The dealer can do all this for approximately $120.00. Still cheaper than the $350.00 to $430.00 price quotes I was getting. The guys at Sunset were very helpful.

I hope this helps as much as it helped me.

Page 96 D-3 from the Carrera Service Manual (supplement 84 - 2003):

The transponder coil reads the transponder code out of the transponder.

The signal converter obtains the transponder code from the signals sent by the transponder, and then sends this code on to the alarm system control module. With the help of the 9588 Porsche System Tester II, the transponder of the key inserted in the ignition can be adapted to one of the four memory locations for transponders. The first time the transponder is adapted, its Secret Key is programmed. The Secret Key of the transponder can no longer be overwritten, i.e. a programmed and adapted transponder is permanently assigned to one vehicle.

Thanks for the info. I guess when the ecu's are re-flashed, the drive blocker code is not modified.

• 1 month later...

This helped a lot. I was getting quoted $350 from Porsche Newport Beach, and I got the key from Sunset (incl. overnight shipping) for $135. I'll spend $120 to program/cut, and I've still saved $100. Thanks for the tip- I was looking forever for the transponsder/key blank combo.

• 1 month later...
This helped a lot. I was getting quoted $350 from Porsche Newport Beach, and I got the key from Sunset (incl. overnight shipping) for $135. I'll spend $120 to program/cut, and I've still saved $100. Thanks for the tip- I was looking forever for the transponsder/key blank combo.

Hi Brian, did the whole process of getting a key/remote from Sunset and then getting it cut/programmed from your dealer work out? Was your total cost $255?

• 4 months later...

I realize it's and "old thread", but has anyone tried to move the transponder from an older key to a new one?

Yes, that is what most folks do when they switch to the Design Key.

It's nice to know, thanks. I bought a used Boxster and the dealer only had the spare key and no remote. I'm thinking I can buy a fob in eBay and change the transponder.