Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I installed the SmartTop last weekend. I love the features and it works great and does the job. However, I've noticed that the dial gauge light is not turning off when I close the door? It does come off when I enable the alarm. At times though I'm not able to enable the alarm but have to open and close the door a few times.

This started to happen after installing the SmartTop. Has anyone run into a similar issue? Is it a know problem? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for help!

I'll tell you the same thing that I tell my stats students. Correlation does not equal causation. Meaning? Just b/c you installed the smarttop, does not mean that one thing caused another.

I know that in my 996 the interior light stays on when I shut the door and then goes off when I arm the system.

Also, have you tried any other troubleshoots? Removing the smart top unit and seeing if the occurance still is present? It is easy to point one direction b/c of a recent change but make sure you have exhausted all avenues a priori.

But, if after all that you are certain the problem ONLY exists with the smart top unit in the car I would definitely email Sven over at Wilhelmy. He was EXTREMELY helpful during the group buy I organized and I am sure would remedy any problem very quickly.

Yup, the next obvious step is to revert back and remove the SmartTop. I actually find it hard to beleive it would be the SmartTop causing this but wanted to check if anyone else has had a similar experiance. Happend twice for me so far. Appears not so I guess I have to take out the little box that is otherwise working like a charm :( I'll contact Sven if it narrows down the problem. Thanks for advice.

My first cab a looong time ago was an MGB. The electonics in that car had its own life... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the guy in question on the UK forum. I didn't send the unit back but I found the cure (I think). The Smarttop won't trigger unless you're travelling less than 20mph (or 25, don't remember). Anyway, the Parking Brake light comes on as part of the process (basically fooling the car into thinking the Parking Brake is on), the roof triggers and when the process finishes, the Parking Brake light goes off.

However, if you accelerate above 20 (25) mph before the process has completely finished, the light stays on. Probably part of the logic in the electronics being confused. My cure, don't accelerate until the Parking Brake light goes out (which it does every time now). :oops:

:offtopic: By the way, you just have to register to see the PCGB website, although parts of it are restricted to members only. Cost is £60 sterling (about $100) which pays for itself as you get discounts all over the place, including main dealers.

Edited by John Ware

• 4 weeks later...

Of the subject but on the same note, does anyone knows if the SmartTop can be reprogram so that the windows will not roll up automatically after the top is opened? This is the only thing I didn't like about the SmartTop and the fact that the one touch window will not work unless vehicle is in motion.