Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control

I think you used the wrong connector if I read your message correctly and you used the white connector. Pin 17 in the white connector is used for a tiptronic transmission, if you have a tip. If you do not have a tip then there is no wire. Pin 17 in the white connector has nothing to do with cruise control.

For a 2000 3.2 it is pin 17 in the black connector.

Yes, I'm using Pin 17 on the white connector.

Let me drop by the audio shop (where my wiring is done) to get this fixed.

I really appreciate this from you :)

You could try connecting Instrument cluster plug one (blue) pin 16 to Motronic connector 4 pin 18. ...

Got that but apparently, that is for the 2.7 according to ToolPants. Strange that the actual instrument cluster varies on both cars though. Appreciate the response nonetheless :)

For a 2000 3.2 it is pin 17 in the black connector.

Do you or anyone else know what connector to use to slide the wire into pin 17 of the instrument panel black connector. The 999.652.901.22 specified by Navman doesn't seem to fit for the instrument cluster. I dismantled the instrument cluster only to encounter this today... ****!

Would be ideal if it's another Porsche connector part that I can order from my dealership.

I don't understand why there is such a fuss over the OE wires and connectors. Why not use a generic male/female connector in place of the originals and make your own pigtail from any 20 ga. stranded wire? Better yet, I'm surprised nobody has offered preassembled patch-cords for the different years.

Pete

• Moderators

Because you cannot shove just any electrical pins into the connectors.

For example. This is a picture of the pins on a VW #10 wire and on a VW #09 wire. You may not be able to see the difference, but I can. And these are not generic pins. The pin on the end of the VW #10 wire is a perfect fit into the instrument cluster connector for a 2000. That pin slides right into the cluster connector, locks in place, and makes electrical contact with the male pins on the back of the instrument cluster.

I have not been able to find the part number for just the pins used on a #10 wire, so you have to buy the wire to get the pins. I have found the part number for the pins used on the #9 wire, but they fit the new style cluster, and clubhead has the old style.

post-4-1140562896.jpg

I see, said the blind man...but that's not what I meant. Depin the IP side and add your own connector. From reading the posts, I understood that you needed the pins and wires as separate items to be crimped. Thanks for the clarifying pic.

Now, about the clutch and brake interlocks...do they need additional mods to function like factory, or is that performed through the DME? Can you help me with that? Thanks.

I have not been able to find the part number for just the pins used on a #10 wire, so you have to buy the wire to get the pins. I have found the part number for the pins used on the #9 wire, but they fit the new style cluster, and clubhead has the old style.

Does this means that the VW part number given by Richard (000.979.010) will not work for me? :( I just dropped by VW to order them. Was told it comes in set of 5 but I couldn't care less about the extra 4 as I just wanted to get everything working. I was going to post the results when I get everything fixed up.

You mentioned getting the #10 wire that comes with the pins. Do you know how I could get my hands on that?

• Moderators

The VW part number Richard gave is the wire that has the pins that fit in your instrument cluster connector. I was calling it a #10 wire so I would not have to type the entire part number.

It is a 24 inch long wire with the same pin crimped on each end of the wire. They come 5 wires to a bag as you said, but here you can buy just 1. I think you need a wire with just 1 pin, so you cut the extra pin off. We use this wire for the OBC retrofit since you have to add wires to the cluster connector.

The only reason we buy the wire is because we cannot figure out the part number for just the pin.

BMW also has a wire but with just 1 pin. When I gave up trying to find the Porsche part number for just the pin I went down the street to BMW, but ran into the same problem. To get the pin I had to buy the wire. BMW also could not figure out the part number for just the pin.

post-4-1140687613_thumb.jpg

The VW group have stopped supplying individual pins. The wires they supply with pins already crimped are repair wires, thats why they are Yellow. All repairs to any part of the wiring harness are supposed to be run in yellow wire and bound with yellow tape, presumably so its easier to spot harness repairs.

I'm disappointed if Porsche are discontinuing the individual pins, as I think it makes a far neater job if they are crimped correctly in the factory colours.

Now, about the clutch and brake interlocks...do they need additional mods to function like factory, or is that performed through the DME? Can you help me with that? Thanks.

On all the cars I have seen the clutch switch is already in place and wired up. The brake disengage function comes from the brake light circuit.

Thank you Richard. I see the switch wiring on the ME 7.2 diagram, but I haven't been under the dash to see if the switch was there, although I have an '03 with ME 7.8. The problem I have is that I don't see anything for cruise on the pinout for the DME ME 7.8. I do see the DME connections for ME 7.2 though.

In an earlier post, I believe you said the 03 appears to be wired directly to the IP. I don't have the 03 IP pinout, but I do have the 01 drawing. Do you know if '01 and '03 instrument panels are identical?

What I'd really like is the full schematic for the '03. Guess I'll have to butter-up my Porsche mechanic with a case of beer. Thanks again.

Pete

• Moderators

0586slb is correct. Or, so, I was told about 5 or more years ago when I started to buy the yellow VW wires from my local dealer. Back then it was a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer.

I asked what the yellow wires were used for. Some recall/service action for 1994 VW Golf, or something like that. Repair wires.

Jeff

2002 Boxster S (UK RHD)

The wiring diagram for 2002 does not show a wire between the DME and the Instrument Cluster. Do you know if the light will work without it? The three other connections are shown between the stalk and DME (for set, resume, and off). The connection D18 on the DME (which would normally go to the Cluster indicator light) is assigned to "Relay Elec. Fuel Pump Term. 85".

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I finally got everything up and running. Thanks again to Ed B, Navman, Toolpants, Loren and Richard Hamilton :)

For those out there who's gonna do this, please ensure you get the following parts below that I've summurised :

1) 1 x 999.652.972.40 Cruise Control Connector - For the cruise stalk unit

2) 9 x 999.652.901.22 Pin Connector - For the cruise stalk unit to the DME/Fuse

3) 1 x 000.979.010 (Volkswagen part #) - For the instrument cluster

Just thought that I would provide some feedback on the parts required to retrofit cruise control to a 2000 Boxster. I ordered mine from Sunset Porsche. Although the first set of parts I received were not exactly what I had expected, the support from Jeff Clarke at Sunset was excellent.

996-613-219-10-EWC 4 column stalk (plus the switch cover for the cruise control stalk)

999-652-972-40 cruise control connector

999-652-973-40 cruise control connector cap (goes over connector)

999-652-901-22 electrical connector pins - short female (min 9 required)

Some good news for you 2001-2002 Boxster owners!

To do the cruise retrofit follow EdB's instructions with the exception of the wire between the DME and Instrument Cluster (for the cruise light). This wire is not required. The coding on the DME AND the Instrument Cluster needs to be changed to 'with Cruise Control'.

Some good news for you 2001-2002 Boxster owners!

To do the cruise retrofit follow EdB's instructions with the exception of the wire between the DME and Instrument Cluster (for the cruise light). This wire is not required. The coding on the DME AND the Instrument Cluster needs to be changed to 'with Cruise Control'.

Hello! Could someone inform me which of the previously mentioned parts are needed & how hard is it to retrofit the Cruise Control to my MY02 996 Carrera 4? Do you know if there are some detailed information on how to do it?

Nikos.

Hi Nicos

It LOOKS really easy to connect cruise to a 2002 C4, but I don't know anyone who has done it (yet). There are only 4 wires to connect:

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 17 - Stalk Connector Pin 1

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 4 - Stalk Connector Pin 3

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 1 - Stalk Connector Pin 4

Fuse B7 - Stalk Connector Pin 2

You would also need to get the Instrument Cluster and the DME coded with a PST2

Parts-wise, you would need:

1 x 996 613 219 10 EWC - 4 column control stalk

1 x 999 652 972 40 connector

4 x VW Part No. 000.979.009 Connector wires

1 x Connector for fuse B7

Like I said, I don't know if anyone has done it, but I would put money on it that it works. If you want the wiring diagram, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at adding cruise to my 2003 S Tiptronic, I was wondering if any of you could answer a fwe questions:

1) Is the stalk more than a set of three momentary switches or is there more to it?

2) Does anyone have a spare stalk with cruise (I would expect it'd be a three stalk of course!)

3) Has anyone done this on a Tiptronic and/or a 2003 S?

Thanks!

Chris.

On '03 cars the cruise control stalk connects directly to the instrument cluster and not to the DME and it looks a much simpler job. There is a coding option in the cluster for enabling cruise, and there is also an option in the DME to enable, although I don't know if both would need to be activated. I don't know anyone who has done it on an '03 but on paper it looks like a piece of cake (famous last words!)

Just a point of interest - Ed B's instructions above also apply for 996's fitted with DME7.2.

Hi Richard,

Can you please help me out. Iam trying to do the retrofit of the 4 stalk in my 03 Boxster S. Where do the wires run to for the obc and the cruise functions? I'm confused with allthe different info out here. I assume I still need the VW wires and BMW connector?

Thx Andy

2003-4 Boxster Cruise:

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 17 - Stalk Connector Pin 1

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 4 - Stalk Connector Pin 3

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 1 - Stalk Connector Pin 4

Fuse B7 - Stalk Connector Pin 2

(This is as yet untested, but I know 3 people trying it out, so you should get an answer here soon)

2003-4 Boxster OBC:

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 23 - Stalk Connector Pin 2

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 22 - Stalk Connector Pin 3

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 21 - Stalk Connector Pin 4

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 24 - Stalk Connector Pin 5

Plug C (Grey) on the Instrument Cluster Pin 25 - Stalk Connector Pin 6

Earth (ground) - Stalk Connector Pin 1

Thanks Richard. I'm also going to throw my name into this thread, I have an '04 986S without cruise but with OBC. Crazy. But anyway, the first thing I need to do is aquire a 4-stalk assembly.

Great thread, I'll be following it/adding to it very actively.

Thanks Richard. I'm also going to throw my name into this thread, I have an '04 986S without cruise but with OBC. Crazy. But anyway, the first thing I need to do is aquire a 4-stalk assembly.

Great thread, I'll be following it/adding to it very actively.

Ditto --- I have a Boxster 03S Tiptronic and am also eagerly awaiting news on how these other installs go in anticipation of tackling this soon, also on the lookout for a stalk!

Yeah, its me from PPBB, we swapped a couple messages there. I keep forgetting to call a dealer for a price; if it is not crazy I'd rather go with a new stalk assembly. I thought I read somewhere that it was only $150 or something? I had a bad experience a long time ago with a used Honda stalk and it was such a pain to put all the labor in and realize that there was a reason somebody was getting rid of the old part!

I better get going here because I'm going on a 2,000+ mile trip in June and I need that cruise!