Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cruise control

I think your problem is only with the coding.  The instrument cluster and DME can be coded without any wiring connections.  Make sure the order code is stored in the DME vehicle data first.  Then go back and do a complete control module search before coding the cluster and DME.  I'll PM you the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the replies guys, and the diagram Richard. I'm wired up as shown, so hopefully it is just the coding issue as you say. I'll make sure to get the order code in the DME first and do a full search of the modules. Crossing fingers I've learned enough this time around to get it right!

Nick-- mine is a LHD car, thanks for the tip though, that will surely help out an RHD owner reading this in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the coding again, and I'm afraid it was still a no-go. Same as before: when I click the button to code cruise in the cluster, nothing happens. The button animates, but there is no feedback or progress-- just nothing.

As you will see in the pictures (sorry they are so bad) the order code is correct (it was already in place) and cruise shows as activated in the DME. As reported above the clutch switch is brand new. I tried cycling the ignition on and off, disconnecting and reconnecting the durametric several times, and waiting several minutes after trying the cluster coding button to see if it just needed time. I also tried deactivating cruise in the DME and then reactivating it before attempting the cluster coding again.

I've run out of ideas folks!

IMG_1282.JPG.9498a877d78f4c7cb91d06696f73c8a7.JPGIMG_1277.JPG.1617138605ff167b08973d4e25f7dc09.JPGIMG_1281.JPG.2b6840232c8b82b0d4ac4463b6ae5a3a.JPGIMG_1339.PNG.b64b42dc16864acbf21c5221ba4402b5.PNGIMG_1280.JPG.4f3f8518de17f90d281041ffc61a7cbe.JPG

I would email Durametric, to see what they can suggest, but I think you would be best finding someone with a PST2 or PIWIS tester.  It should not matter if the wiring & stalk are in place or not, you should be able to code it.  I have done it both ways, and it has always accepted the coding.  However, I prefer to code it after everything has been wired up, so that I can check all the connections and switches with the Input Signals menu on PIWIS.

Thanks Richard. The kicker is that I had the car in to a Porsche Center, and they tried for an hour and a half to get this coded the first time around before giving up and telling me it must be my wiring. What exactly they tried I don't know as this was in Spain and the official P-dealer workshops there don't let you in to hang out while they work. Which is why I use a friend's indi shop and Durametric now.

I'll email Durametric and see if they have any tips. Maybe one of my club buddies in Norway has a PST2 or PIWIS I can borrow.

• 2 months later...
On 25/07/2017 at 9:45 PM, evan9eleven said:

Thanks Richard. The kicker is that I had the car in to a Porsche Center, and they tried for an hour and a half to get this coded the first time around before giving up and telling me it must be my wiring. What exactly they tried I don't know as this was in Spain and the official P-dealer workshops there don't let you in to hang out while they work. Which is why I use a friend's indi shop and Durametric now.

I'll email Durametric and see if they have any tips. Maybe one of my club buddies in Norway has a PST2 or PIWIS I can borrow.

Hi

I don't know if you ever sorted this issue or not - but i had an 03 986 which was displaying similar problems.

No response from the durametric. I have found it isn't too reliable at coding the 03/04 vehicles (my opinion!!)

And using PIWIS the cluster would not code either - it just told me to run the full module search despite having already done this.

In the end I solved it by using PIWIS by using the 996 menus, where strangely the cluster was then recognised. I was then able to code it and everything returned to normal.

I put it down to having been coded incorrectly from installation or having some rogue coding put into it at some point.

Thanks

• 9 months later...

Finally I can report that my cruise control is working! It only took 3 years... so it goes when the car and I are in 2 different countries and access to the Durametric Pro is an hour's drive away.

Owen at Durametric was quick to respond to an email asking for help. I explained that there was no response when trying to code the cluster, and he sent me detailed instructions for making a log file for them to troubleshoot with. The log allowed them to solve the issue: the version of the software I was running (6.5.5.5) wouldn't work, so he sent a link to download a new version, 6.5.5.8. Using this version, I clicked to activate the cruise control in the cluster and the coding started (message shown in lower left corner) after 10 seconds or so I got a message that the coding was successful. And now everything works!

One small thing: the green cruise lamp does not light. Not with the ignition-on lamp test and not when cruise is activated. This is a facelift car (2004 S) so the cluster is lit by LEDs, and I  have confirmed that there is an LED in that spot. So the light in this model does not seem to indicate cruise being coded or functioning or not. No big deal, I'm just happy the cruise works, I couldn't care less about the green light!

I hope this can help someone else, and thanks again for all the input everyone.

I have coded several clusters for Cruse Control, including 2003 & 2004 models with a PIWIS tester, and never had any problems with the green cruise light.  However, I do tend to use a PIWIS1 or PST2 when working on 986's.  Both systems were based on the Bosch software (for Bosch control units), whereas PIWIS2 was made when they started switching over to Siemens (for the 9x1).  I know there were several cases of the early versions of the PIWIS2 software bricking instruments clusters when activating OBC and Cruise, so perhaps there are still anomalies.

• 7 months later...
On 4/21/2012 at 10:49 AM, curand said:

OK. So the two horns could be broken, or there is no current to the horns even though I hear a relay clicking when pressing on the steering wheel. I find it unlikely that both horns would break at the same time. I'm having the reprogramming done on monday. Maybe that will make it work again.

Both my horns were in-op, due to their stupid positioning.
They are facing "UP" with is perfect for collecting and holding water.
They just drown, both at the same time.
I put in horns from a Lincoln Town Car this time.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone

big thanks for all contributors to this valuable thread.

I'm planning this dual retrofit for my 03 Boxster S, my question is: would my current cluster screen (large digits only) be suitable for the OBC ?

I've seen several photos for detailed OBC menus (small pixelated letters & numbers) so just wanna make sure that using a 4-stalk switch + coding will be enough to have full OBC functionality on my current cluster screen ..

your input is appreciated ,Thank you

45 minutes ago, 99-911 said:

Hello everyone

big thanks for all contributors to this valuable thread.

I'm planning this dual retrofit for my 03 Boxster S, my question is: would my current cluster screen (large digits only) be suitable for the OBC ?

I've seen several photos for detailed OBC menus (small pixelated letters & numbers) so just wanna make sure that using a 4-stalk switch + coding will be enough to have full OBC functionality on my current cluster screen ..

your input is appreciated ,Thank you

Yes, your current instrument cluster will give you OBC if re-coded.  You will still have the 7-segment OBC display, not the "dot matrix" display of models with factory OBC, but you will get the OBC functions.  They will appear below the existing two lines.

7-segment:

7-segment.jpg

Dot Matrix

dot matrix.jpg

Edited by Richard Hamilton

21 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Yes, your current instrument cluster will give you OBC if re-coded.  You will still have the 7-segment OBC display, not the "dot matrix" display of models with factory OBC, but you will get the OBC functions.  They will appear below the existing two lines.

7-segment:

7-segment.jpg

Dot Matrix 31.72 kB · 0 downloads

dot matrix.jpg

Thank you Richard, highly appreciate the very prompt response..

Any OBC functions gonna be compromised in the "segmented" display set-up ?

The menus are different, and you won't get some features of the dot matrix cluster shown in your 2003 owners manual.

You will get:

Range on remaining fuel
Outside air temperature (check the sensor is fitted)
Speed gong
Average speed
Average fuel consumption

Still worth having, for the minimal extra cost and effort.

• 2 weeks later...

On May 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

The menus are different, and you won't get some features of the dot matrix cluster shown in your 2003 owners manual.

You will get:

Range on remaining fuel
Outside air temperature (check the sensor is fitted)
Speed gong
Average speed
Average fuel consumption

Still worth having, for the minimal extra cost and effort.

Thanks again Richard for the valuable input..

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, peter-997 said:

Is there a overview or list of all order codes?

Here is a list I compiled:

986:

986310 – 986
986320 - 986 S
986330 - 986 Anniversary * (see note)
986311 - 986 RHD
986321 - 986S RHD
986331 - 986 Anniversary RHD * (see note)

996:

996110 - C2
996111 - C2 RHD
996120 – Anniversary (40 Year)
996121 – Anniversary (40 Year) RHD
996210 – Targa
996211 – Targa RHD
996310 – C2 Cabriolet
996311 – C2 Cabriolet RHD
996410 – C4
996411 - C4 RHD
996420 – Turbo
996421 – Turbo RHD
996430 – C4S
996431 – C4S RHD
996440 – Millennium
996441 – Millennium RHD
996610 – C4 Cabriolet
996611 – C4 Cabriolet RHD
996630 - C4S Cabriolet
996631 – C4S Cabriolet RHD
996810 - GT3
996811 – GT3 RHD
996840 – GT2
996841 – GT2 RHD
996850 – GT3RS
996851 – GT3RS RHD

Note * - I coded a 986 Anniversary RHD using 986331 but it failed to activate cruise.  I had to use 986321, after which it worked perfectly.

• Like 1

Piwis 1?  If so, go to DME>Vehicle Data.  Press F4 to Save.  Then press PrtScn to get to the Logs Page.  Open Working Log and you will see the vehicle data printout, which you can print by pressing F5.

If it is Piwis 2 or 3, just run a VAL.  An OBD VAL will give you coding of DME and Tiptronic.  A Service VAL will give coding of all control modules.

From the Overview screen, press F7 for Additional Menu.  At that point you will be asked if you want to create a VAL.  Choose 'No at this point.

On the Additional Menu screen, choose Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL.  There you can select OBD VAL or Service VAL.  Choose one, press F8, and follow the on-screen prompts.  At the end (after confirming the VIN), you get the choice to select a log type - Choose Miscellaneous.  Then press F12 to go to Report Management.  Select the log, and press F10 for Print.   Print it out to PDF or a connected printer.

48 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

From the Overview screen, press F7 for Additional Menu.  At that point you will be asked if you want to create a VAL.  Choose 'No at this point.

On the Additional Menu screen, choose Vehicle Analysis Log (VAL.  There you can select OBD VAL or Service VAL.  Choose one, press F8, and follow the on-screen prompts.  At the end (after confirming the VIN), you get the choice to select a log type - Choose Miscellaneous.  Then press F12 to go to Report Management.  Select the log, and press F10 for Print.   Print it out to PDF or a connected printer.

Thank You very much.

However, this is not a backup of my devices or is it possible to play this setup back into the ECUs later in case coding failed.