Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Nano in an Ashtray

I am looking for anyone that can fabricate. I would love to fit a iPod Nano into a 2003 996 center ash try. It seem very possible regarding the Nanos small size, and the black color matches perfectly. It may even be possible to have to tray door close as usual. I know the hookup to the PCM is impossible until the ice link comes out, but a FM mod would do for now. Help.

Todd

I am currently working on this.  I will post pictures and info when done.  I am also working on a Bluetooth cellphone interface that uses the factory dash switches.  Is there any interest for these?

It is of interest to me also...Monday I lost my cell phone so I plan to replace it with one of Bluetooth capability. Any ideas on where to buy unlocked cell phones or the Siemens or Palm Treo 650?

Thanks,

Edited by gcp

I am looking for anyone that can fabricate.   I would love to fit a iPod Nano into a 2003 996 center ash try.  It seem very possible regarding the Nanos small size, and the black color matches perfectly.  It may even be possible to have to tray door close as usual.  I know the hookup to the PCM is impossible until the ice link comes out, but a FM mod would do for now.  Help.

Todd

Todd, (and anyone who may know the answer to this)

Does this mean that when the Ice Link eventually becomes available, ipods could repalce the CD changer? If that is the case will the Dension DMP3 unit also be compliant in place of the changer? - I hope so!!!

I should have said I have PCM 1

Edited by ronbonner

A few notes to give you all a better understanding of what I am doing. The Bluetooth kit is a clean modification of an existing product on the market. The only visible portion is the ANSWER/HANGUP buttons that are actually real Porsche dash switches. The switches are modified electrically to function with the BLUETOOTH electronics. Also light up at night just like the rest of the dash switches. The BLUETOOTH electronics use the stock CDR or CR 220 which has an audio input already. The CDR/CR 220 also has the ability to adjust phone volume and panning left-right. Incoming calls mute the audio of the radio and the radio displays PHONE on the LCD.

I could really use some feedback from all of you to gauge demand for this particular item. What would you expect to pay for something like this as a complete kit ready to install? Is $400 - $500 out of line for something that the Porsche service tech thought was a factory option he never new about? Yes it would look and function that clean. I am also making an effort for it to install with standard factory connectors, minimizing or eliminating cuts and splices where ever possible.

Phone graphics on the switches are in two styles depending on switch orientation. Early 986s at an angle and later 986s and 996s straight horizontal. I see these two as the most common rather than try to use the 2 ashtray switches. Sorry, this didn't work for me as I have heated seats. Target location for switch is just to the left of the radio. This seems to be the most commonly filled space with a switch blank.

Testing will commence when the new PCBs arrive. I am most concerned about microphone placement. The factory location for a mic is on the left side of the tach/speedo pod. I don't know if that is the best location and how well that will perform with the top down. If anyone has previous experience with cellphone microphone placement inside the 996/986 your wisdome would be apprecited.

Thoughts and opinions are welcomed and please ask others to comment here. PPBB did not have a lot of responders. Too busy getting excited about the Cayman.

Edited by speedntktz

@ ronbonner: '... Does this mean that when the Ice Link eventually becomes available, ipods could replace the CD changer?...'

Definitly. Why should you install such an old, mechanical and expensive device as a CD changer?

I connected an iPOD with an IceLink in my Mini, in the 996 I use the AUX-In and for other cars I have an iTRIP FM Transmitter. All work without any problems...

IMO an iPOD (or other mp3 player) is just great and I am sure that in none of my cars a CD changer will be needed any more.

@ ronbonner: '... Does this mean that when the Ice Link eventually becomes available, ipods could replace the CD changer?...'

Definitly. Why should you install such an old, mechanical and expensive device as a CD changer?

I connected an iPOD with an IceLink in my Mini, in the 996 I use the AUX-In and for other cars I have an iTRIP FM Transmitter. All work without any problems...

IMO an iPOD (or other mp3 player) is just great and I am sure that in none of my cars a CD changer will be needed any more.

Woolfgang, I absolutely agree with you. If I can do away with the CD Changer I will but according to the Dension website PCM 1 is not listed as compatible

I want to know PCM will become compatible with the Icelink?

I did a CD220 / Bluetooth install described in the 996 DIY section of this forum.

The microphone location works well, as it is the right front speaker that the Becker kit activates. You just have to get used to not speaking at the speaker / radio.

I placed the Bluetooth switch panel between my seat heater switches. A "four-hole batwing" is available if one needs an alternative for Porsche switches.

Switch illumination is just a matter of tapping into the wire for another switch, or running a wire to the relay panel.

Power and mute are conveniently located near the airbag control unit. This is described elsewhere in detail.

My costs are described in my install post, so you'll get an idea of semi-plug-and-play parts involved.

One last thing, Bluetooth has taken my mind off my phone, and let me drive. Good luck.

Question - I went to the Denison site for the IceLink and it stated the a 2004 996 is not compatible yet. Is this true as you describe connecting to a 996?

Thanks!

@ ronbonner: as I wrote earlier I have an IceLink in my Mini (price: 150€) and use the Aux-In in the 996 (Traffic Pro, price 9€!).

Using the iPOD with the radio keys (IceLink) is not that much better than using the iPOD click wheel (Aux-In). You are limited to the 5 playlists (CD1-5) and you can access the others only through the 6th playlist (which is quite annoying in the Mini as some buttons of the radio (FF/FR) are double booked).

Of course you can switch from the radio-mode to the original iPOD-mode, but why use an expensive IceLink then?

The disadvantage when using the Aux-In is that there is no Power supply to the iPOD and you have to turn it off manually (otherwise the battery is flat when you return).

BUT: If you have PCM I (or DFC's 2004 996) I think you can use the FM version of the IceLink: http://www.dension.com/icelink_fm.htm

This seems to combine the best of both worlds:

- it fits to any radio as it's connected only through the antenna plug

- you get good quality (which is not always the case with the iTRIP transmitter)

- it's legal in Europe (which is not the case with transmitters)

- the iPOD gets power

- it turns on/off with the radio

- you can use the iPOD click wheel

- it has a reasonable price

The only disadvantage I see is that you need to install the iPOD in a position where you can read the display.

@ ronbonner: as I wrote earlier I have an IceLink in my Mini (price: 150€) and use the Aux-In in the 996 (Traffic Pro, price 9€!).

Using the iPOD with the radio keys (IceLink) is not that much better than using the iPOD click wheel (Aux-In). You are limited to the 5 playlists (CD1-5) and you can access the others only through the 6th playlist (which is quite annoying in the Mini as some buttons of the radio (FF/FR) are double booked).

Of course you can switch from the radio-mode to the original iPOD-mode, but why use an expensive IceLink then?

The disadvantage when using the Aux-In is that there is no Power supply to the iPOD and you have to turn it off manually (otherwise the battery is flat when you return).

BUT: If you have PCM I (or DFC's 2004 996) I think you can use the FM version of the IceLink: http://www.dension.com/icelink_fm.htm

- you get good quality (which is not always the case with the iTRIP transmitter)

- the iPOD gets power

The only disadvantage I see is that you need to install the iPOD in a position where you can read the display.

Thanks Woolfgang

I checked out the link and it impressive and usefull for a PCM 1 user but there lies the problem - having to have the iPod on show.

- the iPOD gets power

Thanks Woolfgang

I checked out the link and it impressive and usefull for a PCM 1 user but there lies the problem - having to have the iPod on show.

Right, That is why it would be very nice to be a ble to fabricate a iPod Nano into the center Ash Trey. It look like it could be done with a good installer/fabricator.

I had an old Sony Network Walkman doing nothing, so installed (hardwired) it in my ash tray. I needed to remove the metal piece and use the Dremel a bit, but it works great and is hidden when the lid is closed.

The Sony has its readout on the side, so fit in like toast in a toaster, with spare memory sticks alongside. The ash tray light stills works. Changing batteries is a pain, however.

Hooking the Nano up to switched 12VDC and audio input in a removable fashion would be a better situation all around.

The dock looks interesting, however it's only apparent audio connection is via an FM transmitter. Transmitters seem to be inherently noisy.speedntktz

speedntktz

the nano dock has a dedicated line out

you can hard wire this in and leave it in place, just remove the nano when you leave the car

mark

Yes I see that the dock could be used both as a line level output or go to an RF transmitter. The reason I like the Dension ICE product better is that, although somewhat limited, it does have two way communication between the stock radio and the IPOD. I don't want to have to look down at the IPOD to setup and play music. It's just too dangerous. Grabbing the radio knobs seems much easier and safer.

I don't know why the song data is not supported on the CDR/CR radios though. Aren't these made by BECKER and the same or similar to the stock radios in the BMWs. Dension engineers must all drive BMWs as they have a ton of support for the BMW radios but hardly anything for the Porsche radios. And to top it off, you can get a TrafficPro NAV radio for the porsche (same as the BMW) but little to no support. This radio should be able to display all song/artist info.

Just ranting out of frustration. Now back to getting those JAE connectors for the IPOD dock...

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know why the song data is not supported on the CDR/CR radios though.  Aren't these made by BECKER and the same or similar to the stock radios in the BMWs.  Dension engineers must all drive BMWs as they have a ton of support for the BMW radios but hardly anything for the Porsche radios.  And to top it off, you can get a TrafficPro NAV radio for the porsche (same as the BMW) but little to no support.  This radio should be able to display all song/artist info.

Only radios that support CD-Text will also support the display of ID3-tag info in the radio display. So if the BMW radios are the same hardware (I don't know if that is true) they must have a better firmware supporting CD-Text. I have replaced my Porsche CDR with a TrafficPro Highspeed because of the similar looks and didn't pay attention to that litttle detail which still p***** me off. Otherwise I would have installed a hidden IPod by now.

Thorsten

• 2 weeks later...