Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Under performing seal

You should be aware that I have done a lot of research on the RMS problem. One thing is absolutely certain now, a faulty RMS cannot cause engine failure or have anything to do with it. A faulty IMS on the ither hand might indicate intermediate shaft problems which will probably leade to engine failure. However, even if the RMS in the 996 or Boxster actually fell out of the crank (extremely rare) it will not cause engine failure. All that will happen is that oil will leak into the bell housing (but not pour out, only slowly). However the leak will be worse than say a leaking RMS. It may be enough to cause clutch contamination. It is more likely that oil will drip onto your exhaust and cause smoking. This will cause alarm but it is not bad news.

It looks like this is the answer to my question! I posted the Q too soon! thank you!

I don't think you are going to know if it is the IMS or RMS (or both) without removing the transmission and flywheel.

I agree. Knowing that it could be the ISS also, then it's going to a shop for a checkup. At 12k miles, it's too early for a new clutch but I may just get a new one anyway. I think I'll tell my indy to try the GT3 motorsports seal.

:renntech:

• 1 month later...

Okay, sorry to bring up this old thread but is the seal the same between the 3.4 motors and the 3.6? I have a 1999 as well and since the clutch is getting done I was going to update the seals while I am in there. Loren, what is your opinion on the GT3 seal fix mentioned above? Thanks,

David

I don't think you are going to know if it is the IMS or RMS (or both) without removing the transmission and flywheel.

I agree. Knowing that it could be the ISS also, then it's going to a shop for a checkup. At 12k miles, it's too early for a new clutch but I may just get a new one anyway. I think I'll tell my indy to try the GT3 motorsports seal.

• 2 months later...

My 02 996 just came up with it's second RMS at 34K. Supposely the newer seal is much better, new clutch pak went in at the same time. Ended up paying $1500 for a brake flush,annual and clutch pak. An extended warranty took care of the seal relacement. I need one of those $4500 replacement engines. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did you try the GT3 motorsports seal and how did it work out for you? I have the 997 seal in my 2001 engine and it leaked within 3 hrs driving time. If the new seal worked what was the PN#. Hopefully find out soon what to use since it is going in the shop tomorrow.

Edited by Mother

Did you try the GT3 motorsports seal and how did it work out for you? I have the 997 seal in my 2001 engine and it leaked within 3 hrs driving time. If the new seal worked what was the PN#. Hopefully find out soon what to use since it is going in the shop tomorrow.

I guess I should have updated this thread a long time ago.

I had the GT3 Motorsport seal fnally fitted May last year. Since then I have done about 6500 miles. The seal does not appear to be leaking.

While I will hold my breath on it. It is certainly a record. Typically the last 7 seals have leaked within weeks of being fitted if not days. The underside of my bellhousing is dry as a bone. But.....I still will hold my breath.

I had the GT3 Motorsport seal fnally fitted May last year. Since then I have done about 6500 miles. The seal does not appear to be leaking.

While I will hold my breath on it. It is certainly a record. Typically the last 7 seals have leaked within weeks of being fitted if not days. The underside of my bellhousing is dry as a bone. But.....I still will hold my breath.

One other thing.... yes.....its fitted in reverse.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a RMS failure as well (two times). Finally the dealer GLUED the new seal into place, with the same stuff they use to glue sideskirts to the body. Been 12 months now and completely leak free. They say this does the job once and for all and do that on every RMS leak they encounter..

Might be helpfull! Worked fot me.. :renntech:

• 1 month later...
I had a RMS failure as well (two times). Finally the dealer GLUED the new seal into place, with the same stuff they use to glue sideskirts to the body. Been 12 months now and completely leak free. They say this does the job once and for all and do that on every RMS leak they encounter..

Might be helpfull! Worked fot me.. :renntech:

Just a crazy idea....

I was looking at the RMS on my 997 S engine and was wondering what happens if I fit SECOND SEAL. I didn´t have a a seal nearby tomeasure the thickness, but it might fit (as nowadays the seal is fitted inside more deeply).

I don´t know wheter the seal needs a contact with oil to work well, but in this way the second seal would have much less pressure, and might hold the small drops which are leaking through the first and original seal.

What you think guys?

Kare, Spain

• 3 months later...

One other thing.... yes.....its fitted in reverse.

What's the latest news?

I might be getting mine fixed soon, so I'd like to know what's the best fix (using Mike @ Sports & Classic, Knutsford)

• Moderators

On my January 1997 Boxster I had my clutch replaced 3 weeks ago by Marvin Weitz who owns an independent shop. Marvin worked at 2 local dealerships before going independent.

Before the transmission was remove and the car was on the lift I could see there was some seepage. After the transmission and flywheel were out I went back to the shop for another look and took the picture. There was a film of oil on the back of the engine case. It looks black in the picture because clutch dust sticks to the oil. Could not really tell where it was comming from or if it was comming from more than one place.

I consider this minor to normal for an engine with 67,000 miles. In 9 years of ownership I never saw an actual drop of oil.

I had to make the decision to try the latest reseal procedure, or just replace the clutch and put it back together. I believe in Murphy's Law - if it ain't dripping leave it alone.

I gave it some thought and also talked to Peter Smith. Then I decided to have it done. Flywheel was out anyway and I had 67,000 miles. Plus my Boxster is so old I had the original style intermediate shaft flange seal.

So Marvin replaced the rear case bolts with the "blue" sealing bolts. The intermediate shaft flange/seal. And I got the 4th generation Cayenne style seal.

Time with tell if I should have followed Murphy's Law or not.

post-4-1213975995_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Wow - the favourite RMS has many flavours/fitting techniques it seems :D

So I have a good used 03 996 3.6 motor to install into my 986 - with no leaks. I thought I'd install a new seal now anyway as the engine is out of the car at the moment.

So my first question is do I need the special Porsche tool detailed in the adobe article. I saw this write-up http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php and they seem to have done a good job but missed the use of the tool for the 5 mm recess.

And what RMS do I get:

- 997 seal

- GT3 Motorsport seal reversed

- 4th generation Cayenne style seal (is this the same as the 997)

Finally can anyone point me towards any guides on IMS replacement procedure?

• 3 months later...
  • Admin
I hope I'm not repeating a post from someone else. (You try doing a search for RMS!!)

I see that the 997 seal has been updated! The latest number is 997.101.212.01. Must have happened quite recently.

Richard,

The parts list current only shows the 01 seal for new Cayennes and 997-2. It is not listed for 9x6 series cars (at this time).

• 3 weeks later...
Richard,

You are right - if you dig down in the listing for 996 or 986 it now shows (use 997.101.212.01).

I guess you should not always believe the ATP.

Loren

You might want to check that yet again! It looks like the 997.101.212.01 seal has disappeared from the latest 9x6 PET parts listing. Very strange.

• 1 year later...