Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello all:

I'm spec'ing out a 2006 Carrera S - my first Porsche, and the culmination of a dream that I've had for nearly 40 years. I can't believe that I'm finally going to own one. I've saved for twenty years for this car, and I intend to keep it for a long while.

My question concerns the XRP option - the 5mm wheel spacers. Has anyone added these spacers to their car, and do they make a noticable difference in tracking / handling? Is there any downside to the spacers?

Other options I'm considering include:

Slate Grey Metallic Paint - 59

Stone Grey Sport Seats - DD

Adaptive Sports Seats - P01

19" Carrera S Wheels - 403

Wheel Caps with Colored Crests - 446

Sport Chrono Plus - 640

Sport Shifter - XCZ

BOSE System - 680

A simple options list; I know that I could spend thousands (or tens of thousands more!) on leather, carbon fiber, aluminum and wood - but those things won't make it a better driver! My wife is already breathing down my neck at the current price point... <g>

Any comments welcomed,

-Don Strimbu

Bartlett, IL USA

1990 BMW 735i (perfect - 83k original miles - "My Limosine")

2003 Saab 9-5

and soon... 2006 Porsche Carrerra S - finally!

• Admin

Some options are easy to retrofit - so you can always add them later (like spacers). Other options require a different wiring harness or other major "production" changes. For example: you don't want to retrofit a leather dash or heated seats - one requires complete dash removal and the other requires major wiring harness controller changes. My advice would be to concentrate on the options that are not easily retrofit and make sure you get difficult (or very expensive retrofit) options on your factory build.

I retrofit the spacers to my Boxster. Slightly better look. No noticeable change to feel/handling IMHO.

Think hard about the heated seats Loren mentioned. I love mine even here in NC. Extends top down season and just feels good on chilly day. Probably more worthwhile where you live.

Also be sure to try the sport seats before buying. I thought I wanted them, but they were to confining in the shoulders, and I'm only 6' 180 lbs. Maybe they changed for 997/987.

Litronics - they came on my car and they are great, but not required for the amount of nite driving I do.

Bose - with my hearing not sure it mattered, BUT maybe it is the reason I can hear the radio at all.

Leather dash - source of future cracking. And I personally agree with you on the cosmetic items. Jack the price up with not much value added. Unless you got money to burn.

And Loren's advice about retofittable (?) items is solid. IF you later want these items just add money and time.

And enjoy this phase. The driving phase will be all the better.

My advice would be to concentrate on the options that are not easily retrofit and make sure you get difficult (or very expensive retrofit) options on your factory build.

Well said, Loren. Thanks. The $ spent on the spacers (which can be retrofitted) might make more sense to be spent on self-dimming mirrors (thanks gota911)... that's probably an EXPENSIVE swapout later.

Perusing several Porsche boards on the web (roadfly, et al) - I was afraid that I would not be able to match the (quality of the people and the) technical information on the roadfly BMW E32 board in regards to Porsche cars. I was wrong. RennTech is excellent.

I will contribute asap. Thanks again! Looking fwd to sharing with all of you as I move fwd in this endeavour.

-don

I retrofit the spacers to my Boxster. Slightly better look. No noticeable change to feel/handling IMHO.

Think hard about the heated seats Loren mentioned. I love mine even here in NC. Extends top down season and just feels good on chilly day. Probably more worthwhile where you live.

Also be sure to try the sport seats before buying. I thought I wanted them, but they were to confining in the shoulders, and I'm only 6' 180 lbs. Maybe they changed for 997/987.

Litronics - they came on my car and they are great, but not required for the amount of nite driving I do.

Bose - with my hearing not sure it mattered, BUT maybe it is the reason I can hear the radio at all.

Leather dash - source of future cracking. And I personally agree with you on the cosmetic items. Jack the price up with not much value added. Unless you got money to burn.

And Loren's advice about retofittable (?) items is solid. IF you later want these items just add money and time.

And enjoy this phase. The driving phase will be all the better.

Thanks for your input, Mike. My dealer just found a Slate Grey car; it's pretty loaded (more than what I want / need) but I'm going to try to work with him - if I can get 5K off, I'll do it... it has regular seats, but powered, heated and full leather. Also, the XLF sport exhaust. I can't stop grinning.

Yes, the driving phase is what I'm looking forward to, my friend. <g> I think I'll rig up a set of condenser mics and record a 30 minute high-rate MP3 of me just driving around town, saying nothing... letting the boxer-6 carry the "conversation"... "That's OK Honey, I don't need sex anymore... I have my 911 now."

"Fairly intelligent men reduced to blithering children..." - thanks Dr. Porsche!

-don

I just ordered my '06 997 C2S with the same spacers. I looked a models with and without them. Suffice it to say it is noticeable but only to you and other nuts like us. My vote is put them on now, besides it will only cost you more as a later add on due to labor costs.

My two cents about your options. Be very certain you want the short shifter. I've only driven one in the 996, but found it very very difficult to shift. It felt like riding my bike with the seat too low.

E.

Hello all:

I'm spec'ing out a 2006 Carrera S - my first Porsche, and the culmination of a dream that I've had for nearly 40 years. I can't believe that I'm finally going to own one. I've saved for twenty years for this car, and I intend to keep it for a long while.

My question concerns the XRP option - the 5mm wheel spacers. Has anyone added these spacers to their car, and do they make a noticable difference in tracking / handling? Is there any downside to the spacers?

Sport Chrono Plus - 640

Sport Shifter - XCZ

BOSE System - 680

A simple options list; I know that I could spend thousands (or tens of thousands more!) on leather, carbon fiber, aluminum and wood - but those things won't make it a better driver! My wife is already breathing down my neck at the current price point... <g>

Any comments welcomed,

-Don Strimbu

Bartlett, IL USA

2003 Saab 9-5

I just ordered my '06 997 C2S with the same spacers. I looked a models with and without them. Suffice it to say it is noticeable but only to you and other nuts like us. My vote is put them on now, besides it will only cost you more as a later add on due to labor costs.

My two cents about your options. Be very certain you want the short shifter. I've only driven one in the 996, but found it very very difficult to shift. It felt like riding my bike with the seat too low.

E.

Thanks Eric,

I figured that it would make a noticeable difference to a Porsche Nut <g> - 5mm isn't much, but my thoughts centered around the fact that it would help "fill out" the wheelwells (as though a C2S needs any "filling out")...

Now, I'd give $$$ to trade PASM for the -20mm Euro Sport suspension. I'm assuming that it isn't offered in the states due to bumper height regulations. It's retrofittable (as I read here) - but out of my price league, I think. It would be really nice if Porsche would offer a steel suspension option for the S models, even for the same price. PASM is a great concept, but the base Carrera's standard suspension is simple, direct, and time-tested.

I've read more and more about the short shifter being nasty when the trans is cold, and issues engaging 1st and 2nd gears. You have to give up mechanical advantage to shorten the throws - and it may be just a bit too much for a car I intend to drive daily; well, at least in spring, summer and fall. I've considered a 4S with a set of dedicated snow tires, but galvanized or not - I just can't subject a 997 to our salty roads!

Thanks for your input! Looking forward to swapping more info when I take the plunge.

-don

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree with the short shifter being hard to shift.

I just installed one and love it.

I would say there is almost no noticable difference in the smoothness from the standard shifter .

But then, I installed it myself, and made sure the cable length was just right. (One thing I found out was that the installation tool which came with it was only good for the reverse gear cable. I had to remove it to get the forward gear cable to fit)

Hello all:

Sport Chrono Plus - 640

Sport Shifter - XCZ

BOSE System - 680

Any comments welcomed,

-Don Strimbu

Bartlett, IL USA

2003 Saab 9-5

Don

I have a 2004 C2S which i bought second hand. I dont have the spacers so cant comment. I didn't even know they were available but now I do I am curious...

I have the Sports seats. I have tried the standard seats and the adaptive and I orefer the sports. The standard and adaptive seats have a lot more padding. If you want more cushion then go for either of these. The sports seats have less cushion and as a result are harder but I think this gives much better feel. Thats why Ii prefer them.

I have the standard shifter and I find this troublesome getting into 2nd. This is more of a problem with the sport shifter. It can be retro fitted so dont worry too much about it. Some people say the standard plastic mount is not very sound and can break - leaving you holding your gear lever. Retro fit billet mount is much more solid either ith or without a shorter throw.

I have heated seats too - nice when its freezing!

I have the smooth multi function wheel. The buttons are useful but I could live wihtout them. I do prefer the smooth feel of the wheel so I would recommend thinking about a different wheel.

I have the dimming mirrors and recommend these. Rain sensor I could live without.

Colured crests - gotta have these but can be retro fitted.

Sport Chrono I have - this seems like a must have but the jury is out on the benefits.

Bose I dont have but wish I did.

Then there is PCCB on my wish list - its all about the carbon!

Thanks to everyone for their replies!

So, the plan has changed - I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow to begin negotiations on an '06 C4S coupe - this car is one of the launch cars (PAG code 762). It's black over sand beige (unfortunately not the black/sand beige two tone interior which looks SPECTACULAR IMHO...).

Here's the options list:

A1 - Black exterior

TG - Sand Beige Full Leather

XLF - Sport Exhaust System (!)

482 - TPMS

342 - Heated Front Seats

267 - Self Dimming Mirrors

P15 - Power Seat Package

670 - Navigation for PCM

680 - Bose System

640 - Sport Chrono Plus

XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest

M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering

692 - Remote CD Changer

The dealer rep (whom I have an existing relationship with...) has informed me that his sales manager is ready to deal aggressively on this car. That made more sense to me than waiting until summer for the delivery of a special order vehicle, and I'm sure that I'll get a better deal on an "on-ground" car vs. a special order... and while it's not everything I wanted, it's a totally beautiful vehicle that I can be very happy with...

That being said: I spent a couple of hours on www.porschedealer.com last Sunday night. I checked every US dealer's inventory (except for the two who don't have websites <g>) - and I'm shocked at what I've found...

As of Sunday 01-09-06, there were 64 PAG Code 762 C4S Coupes on the ground in the US. Sixty four cars! Excellence Mag stated that one of these cars (and one silver/black C4 coupe) were built for each US reseller... dunno if they had the option to take one or leave it, but several resellers have more than one (Porsche Exchange in IL has 3, Park Place in Dallas has 2, "The Collection" in Coral Gables FL has 4!).

So, gang - what the H#ll is up with the C4S? I've heard several things:

1.) Since the 997 C4 / C4S is not a full "turbo-look" car, buyers aren't that excited about it

2.) The C2 / C2S is _so_ good that most people are reluctant to spend the extra $$$ on a "4".

It seems that this can only be good for me, right? :thumbup:

Question #1 of 2: any guesses on what I can expect in terms of a discount? If the dealer's sales manager was willing to drop $4,500-5,000 on a $94k list C2S, am I a fool to expect 9-10% on this "special" car?

BTW - I'm willing to walk if they don't meet my needs. I have promised this dealership first shot at selling me the car, and they will be doing all of my service regardless of where I buy it. I'm not looking for a "fair" deal - I'm looking for the absolute lowest price.

January in the Midwest is not a popular 911 sales period.

Question #2 of 2: any idea on holdbacks (if any) on these cars? PCNA is pretty tight with that data, as you might imagine...

Any input from the board members would be much appreciated!

-don

Hello

I'm in the UK and I see 997 sales troublesome for the 2 and the 4. A friend who is in the trade [sort of] called me Wednesday to ofer me a 997 C2S 2005 with 6000 miles on the clock for £57,500. The car had some specification and therefore would have been £70,000 - £75,000 new. It was by no means a lemon.

There may be a problem with the 4 over the 2 as the 'turbo look' has gone. I still like the 996 C4S and thats probably because of this. Where as the new 997 C4S looks almost identical to the 2 so for the average shopper why pay the extra 4 of 5 thousand pound? Especially when the 2 is so good!

If someone is buying for image then the 4 badge is not very noticeable.

1.) Since the 997 C4 / C4S is not a full "turbo-look" car, buyers aren't that excited about it

2.) The C2 / C2S is _so_ good that most people are reluctant to spend the extra $$$ on a "4".

-don

Autoweek asked itself same question and gave both answers. Personally, I think it would be a wonderful decision to have to make! :thumbup:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../VEHICLEREVIEWS

Question #1 of 2: any guesses on what I can expect in terms of a discount? If the dealer's sales manager was willing to drop $4,500-5,000 on a $94k list C2S, am I a fool to expect 9-10% on this "special" car?

BTW - I'm willing to walk if they don't meet my needs. I have promised this dealership first shot at selling me the car, and they will be doing all of my service regardless of where I buy it. I'm not looking for a "fair" deal - I'm looking for the absolute lowest price.

Question #2 of 2: any idea on holdbacks (if any) on these cars? PCNA is pretty tight with that data, as you might imagine...

-don

I have heard that the C2S is so good with the PASM that the 4-wheel version is truly overkill. Ordering a C2S in cab form, I just couldn't give up the meager trunk space at all plus I like a little driving challenge, having driven 911s through the 70s, 80s, 90s...

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

-don

IMHO Asking for $5K is quite high. Some dealers are willing to go $3K if that on a spec car. Shop around B4 you play hardball on price. Not sure on any holdback/spiff etc.

Was this a coupe of cab? Up here, there is a shortage on coupes.

Have you concidered the PCCB's? Nice to have :D I have them ordered on my C2S and did not go with the X51 power kit as close to $17K for a bit more HP was overkill on price. Besides, I hear they are behind on the X51 as it stands.

Get the sport steering wheel as well. Feels much better than std steering wheel.

Forgot if you listed the Sport Exhaust (PSE) really nice sound!

I'm in the same boat... Waited a very long time for a P car of my dreams and finally returned my Lexus SC430!

Build month: March. Delivery: Late April or May.

Regards,

Deanski

I would strongly suggest the heated seats: they heat evenly and nicely. Also, the upgraded stereo--well worth it. Steering wheel, go for the sport, it's worth it. Sports seats, I have them and they are crowding a bit on my back-- I'm 6'2'' 210 with a 33 in waist. Sports Chrono, love the ability to alter performance and make subtle changes to the ancillary functions of the car. Enjoy your new ride...

I would strongly suggest the heated seats: they heat evenly and nicely. Also, the upgraded stereo--well worth it. Steering wheel, go for the sport, it's worth it. Sports seats, I have them and they are crowding a bit on my back-- I'm 6'2'' 210 with a 33 in waist. Sports Chrono, love the ability to alter performance and make subtle changes to the ancillary functions of the car. Enjoy your new ride...

Hi Guys:

Thanks so much for your feedback - I made the decision to buy a car that is already on the ground at Sunflower Porsche in Topeka, KS.

It's a Carrera 4S, Arctic Silver with Black full leather, options:

640 - Sport Chrono +

670 - Navigation

680 - Bose

XLF - Sport Exhaust (!!! - had to have this - !!!)

407 - 19" Sport Design Wheels (not the lightest stock wheels but they look great!)

446 - Colored Crests in Wheel Caps

P15 - Standard Power Seats

M6A - Black mats

Yeah, it would have been nice to have heated seats and autodimming mirrors, but as I stated this car was on the ground and available. Eric Jepson and team at Sunflower have been awesome. I definitely did better than expected on the price - which was very important to my CFO (read: wife)...

I'm giddy like a schoolgirl <g>... headed to Kansas City Monday night, one way drop off on the rental in Topeka. Hope to be on the way home by 10am Tuesday. Weather looks clear - but I'm prepared to hole up along the route if things get nasty.

AWD or not, I know that the summer Pilot Sports will not take lightly to snow or ice. ;-(

I will send photos! So glad to be finally joining the P-Club, it's been a dream for soooo long...

Thanks again, Gents!

-don