Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How the heck do you clean a Boxster engine?

I opened the engine cover of my 98 Boxster for the first time yesterday (TA-DA!) and my motor is pretty darn dusty. How in the heck do you clean the motor? I see a lot of stuff around that I wouldn't want wet (like, hum, the inside of my car) and tapeing things off doesn't look like a good or the best answer.

• Moderators
I opened the engine cover of my 98 Boxster for the first time yesterday (TA-DA!) and my motor is pretty darn dusty. How in the heck do you clean the motor? I see a lot of stuff around that I wouldn't want wet (like, hum, the inside of my car) and tapeing things off doesn't look like a good or the best answer.

Just use a power washer, watch where you are aiming the nozzle, and put lots of towels around the edge of the front and top openings to catch the splatters. You will get the carpet a little wet, but it will dry off in the sun. The key is to aim carefully.

Kinda figured that the answer would be something like that. Maybe I'll try the wet brush and dish soap then rinse with a bucket of water and hope she starts afterward :( Never heard of "Simple Green"; I take it that that's the brand name? What exactly is it?

Kinda figured that the answer would be something like that. Maybe I'll try the wet brush and dish soap then rinse with a bucket of water and hope she starts afterward :( Never heard of "Simple Green"; I take it that that's the brand name? What exactly is it?

it's a biodegradable cleaner, it's green and smells nice, but read the directions as it's sold in concentrate and needs to be diluted, it'll cut through most any grease with ease, it'll take wax off quickly too :)

great stuff to have around

simple green it comes in gallon jugs too

• 2 weeks later...

Simple Green is a US-brand though - don't think you'll get it in Madrid...

I'd be a bit wary about aiming a power washer over the engine - even steam cleaning can cause electrical issues. There are a lot of electronics which don't like to be wet, so be careful. Just use a cloth, water, a degreasant, and some hard work, and it should get things a little clean... Just be careful around electrical connections.

Thanks

S.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Gunk Brand has a Cleaner/detailer that is great. Warm the engine a bit spray it down and let it sit. Rinse down with fresh water. I haven't had any problems with the electical components getting wet. I am sure they see thier fair share of water from the rain and the way the airflow to aid in cooling.