Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Valentine V1 installation

Apologies, I know this topic has been covered numerous times, but I am reallly really dense.

I'm trying to run the wire to power the V1 mounted behind the rear view mirror. The part I can't figure out is where to jack into a convenient switched power source at the other end. I've read about jacking in at the fuse box on the driver side or tapping unused cell phone wires in the center console, but without photos or a detailed description, I am stumped.

Can someone help me? Thanks.

Did you see the DIY here?

Yes, I read that DIY, but I'm not too handy with a soldering iron and this install was done on a 2006 997 Carrera S w/ self dim mirrors. I have a 2002 996 Cabrio w/ non-dim mirrors, so I didn't know if all the wiring was the same.

Running the wires down the A pillar is not a problem, so I figure that tapping power from the fuse box or center console would be easier.

Can someone help me? Thanks.
The DIY Loren has referenced is one of the most complete and thorough I have seen.However, if you don't wish to get quite so technically involved, the phone connection you mention is an excellent and quick way to go. Remove the passenger side, carpeted cover directly forward of the radio stack, you will see the empty, 4 pin plug just sitting there. The switched hot that you need is readily identifiable with a test light. It should be the Green / Black stripe wire.PIN OUT for Phone Accessory Plug:1 red/green 12v +2 green/black 12v + switched3 yellow/black Tel. Mute4 brown groundTo access this power source, I placed my V-1 just to the right of the rear view mirror, and right up against the windshield frame. I plugged one modular end into the V-1, and cut the modular plug off the other end (first, note the color order). Using a credit card to do the stuffing, I simply stuffed the wire behind the molding of the windshield frame, ran it across the top to the A-pillar, and down the front of the A-pillar, stuffing all the way.At that point, I manipulated it through the seam in the dash, right at that location. A tight fit, but not difficult. (this is why you cut off the modular plug).Run the wire under the dash in any convenient route, to the area behind the radio where the unused, 4 pin phone plug is sitting. Use a Radio Shack (or equivalent) modular phone tool to reapply a modular end. (be sure to keep the color order of wires the same as when you cut it off to begin with).Use the V-1 Aux adaptor (see photo), and wire its red wire in a splice into the switched hot on the Porsche phone connector. The Aux adaptor's ground wire is already equipped with a lug which can go under a convenient nut in the dash structure.Plug the modular lead from your V-1 into the proper jack on the Aux Adaptor, and you're in business.Note that only a 3-4 inch lead of the V-1 phone wire is exposed.post-3787-1146588693.jpg This is the V-1 Aux Adaptor:post-3787-1146588792.jpg A wide shot of the location of the Porsche phone connector. Yours will not have the black tape on it:post-3787-1146588851.jpg A closer shot of the phone connector: Wires: Brown, Yellow/Black, Green/Black, Green/Red.post-3787-1146588901.jpg Edited by Kim

Kim,

Followed your lead above and it was a piece of cake. I did somethings different.

1. I removed the A pillar trim, following similar method as "Extending Remote Range"in DIY. It was a 2 minute job.

2. By doing this, the power cord has plenty of room to pass through dash. I used a wire hanger, pushed from the under dash along A pillar, and pulled the cord.

3. Used the same wire hanger to pull the phone cable for the remote display.

Otherwise, and easy installation was the same. Now it is so much easier to hear the chirps with the top down, and see the lights by the steering column. Thanks

Izzy

Kim,

Followed your lead above and it was a piece of cake. I did somethings different.

1. I removed the A pillar trim, following similar method as "Extending Remote Range"in DIY. It was a 2 minute job.

2. By doing this, the power cord has plenty of room to pass through dash. I used a wire hanger, pushed from the under dash along A pillar, and pulled the cord.

3. Used the same wire hanger to pull the phone cable for the remote display.

Otherwise, and easy installation was the same. Now it is so much easier to hear the chirps with the top down, and see the lights by the steering column. Thanks

Izzy

Izzy,

glad it worked out. I did the V-1 install a good while before I found the TSB on remote range and learned how to remove the A pillar trim .... otherwise, I would have done the same. I should have thought to alter my suggestion based upon that.

Where did you mount your remote display? I initially thought directly on top of the steering column, in front of the instrument panel would be ideal .... but am not comfortable with obscuring the warning lights. I've also considered putting it in the storage tray under my radio, but that is not much more in the line of sight than the main unit on the windshield.

Edited by Kim

Well, the good news is that nothing is permanent on these cars. So far, I mounted it on top of the steering column, and it obscures the dash warning lights. But I am using a tiny velcro strip, so can move it when starting the car or anytime.

But my logic was, if one of those lights goes, very likely will be after turn 10 in Road Atlanta with my hair (what's left) on fire. And when I get on track, all the equipment like V1 will be off anyway, so will see the lights.

I will try for a week, see how it feels. This morning's drive, took me a while to get used to looking down at the steering column, as my eyes naturally want to follow the sound when the unit chirped. But the location just seems so convinient.

I don't like the rattling from the detector clip on bumpy roads though, need to find something to dampen it, prevent the metal to metal. I will hit Home Depot later for some cheap foam tape.

• 2 months later...