Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stock Exhaust System Replacement How To

rockitman

Are you happy with the results?  How does it sound?  I can't seem to get to this link.  Do you have photos?

:drive:

There seems to be a problem with the rennlist gallery server. It should only be temporary. Yes, I luv the sound and the exhaust is everything I had hoped. Here is a picture of it installed prior to putting the rear bumper on.

post-3-1073344686_thumb.jpg

You have done a superb job of documenting the upgrade. Your attention to detail is great and you have certainly made the job easier for others. My GT3 now has 1,500 miles on the clock and is loosening each day.

Would you please comment on:

a. Can you detect any performance improvement?

b. Do you think the switch will affect your warranty?

c. Is the car still epa legal?

d. How much did the new system cost in total?

e. Can you describe the sound?

Enjoy your toy.

Mel

You have done a superb job of documenting the upgrade. Your attention to detail is great and you have certainly made the job easier for others. My GT3 now has 1,500 miles on the clock and is loosening each day.

Would you please comment on:

a. Can you detect any performance improvement?

b. Do you think the switch will affect your warranty?

c. Is the car still epa legal?

d. How much did the new system cost in total?

e. Can you describe the sound?

Enjoy your toy.

Mel

Thank you. I try to provide DYI's for all modifications I do so as to benefit others...Now to the questions...

a) Increased throttle response and more power immediacy. I only have 25 minutes road time with the new exhaust. We had snow and freezing rain the day after install. The roads have subsequently covered with salt and sand and currently the temperature outside is -10 Degrees F...Brrrrrrrr. So it may be a couple of weeks until I give it another drive. The pipe was dynoed before and after at by Europipe...They claim 12hp and 8 lbs/ft of torque as compared to stock with the stock air filter. I will redyno the car with the setup in the spring at the same place I did it when I did a stock test. I developed 348 rear wheel HP stock. The next dyno will be with the EP and a BMC F1 high flow air filter. Here is a link of my car being dynoed on a mustang dynometer...

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/gallery/dyno_videos/index.cfm

B) No I don't believe there will be a warranty issue. In the US, after market replacements do not void a warranty as long as the reason for the car failure or malfunction is not a direct result of the after market replacement. I really don't see the exhaust causing motor failure or the like. The exhaust system still consists of a complient catalytic converter and a muffler.

c) Yes, it is EPA legal. Europipe had the stock catalytic element chemically analyzed and has used the same chemical formulation, but applied in a superior way to the stock cats, even though these cats are 100 cell vs. the 300 cell stock ones. It is OBD2 compliant and has the install points for the lambda pre-cat sensor and the oxygen post cat sensor. There is no check engine light since the cat operates within the parameters the stock sensors detect for.

d) The system cost delivered was $4,300.

e) While it is not much louder than stock, it was a deeper, warmer sound with a real scream at wide open throttle. I felt the stock sound, while nice, is a little sterile/cold sounding. I really like it. You can hear for yourself on the europipe site. Click on video and select GT3. I believe it is a quicktime (Apple) movie format.

http://www.europipe.be/1024.html

Edited by rockitman

Rockit,

I think about the only thing that wouldn't be covered under warranty is if the 100 cell cat starts burning out the O2 sensors. I had a set of FVD 100 cell cats on my 996 and they ran enough hotter that they burned out the O2 sensors after a couple of track days. The O2 sensors are about $120 each to replace, so it's not a big risk and the EP cats may be better than the FVD ones, so you may not have any problems. But if you start throwing CELs this Spring, that's the first place to look.

Karl

Thanks for the heads up Karl...EP told me that he does not expect any O2 sensor problems because of the way they were designed...we shall see. EP does provide a 2 year warranty on the system. The warranty states the following...

"Our products are covered with a 2 year warranty providing replacement for any defective part of your exhaust system"

Whether any defective part includes the O2 sensors, we shall see. It can be argued that they are part of the exhaust system. Just curious...If they throw a CEL and I replace the sensor(s)...Can the CEL be reset by disconnecting the battery and installing the new sensors, hence resetting the CEL...or does the dealer have to do that???

You can reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery. As long as the fault that led to the CEL has been corrected, the light won't come back on. The fault code is stored in memory and can be pulled up later with a PST-2, so you don't clear the fault code, just the light.

Karl

• 1 month later...
Rockit,

Any thing to add on the mods. I am waiting for your assessment before getting to grips with a similar project. I hope you have a few more miles on the clock and can give me a heads up on a do or don't.

I have probably only compiled 250 miles since EP install. It's winter up hear with lots of salt and crap on the roads, so I have elected not to drive it much. Overall, I am very pleased with the results so far. I have a high flow BMC air filter which I plan to install soon and this will only enhance the performance effect. I will be re-dynoing the car with the EP in March or April on the same dyno I used for the stock run. At that point I will be able to better quantify the performance gain. So far the car seems more immediate when reacting to throttle changes and I love the deeper sound the car has. $4,000 is alot granted, but it has really enhanced the driving experience thus far and I have no regrets on the money spent.

Take care,

Christian

• 2 years later...
Rockit,

Any thing to add on the mods. I am waiting for your assessment before getting to grips with a similar project. I hope you have a few more miles on the clock and can give me a heads up on a do or don't.

I have probably only compiled 250 miles since EP install. It's winter up hear with lots of salt and crap on the roads, so I have elected not to drive it much. Overall, I am very pleased with the results so far. I have a high flow BMC air filter which I plan to install soon and this will only enhance the performance effect. I will be re-dynoing the car with the EP in March or April on the same dyno I used for the stock run. At that point I will be able to better quantify the performance gain. So far the car seems more immediate when reacting to throttle changes and I love the deeper sound the car has. $4,000 is alot granted, but it has really enhanced the driving experience thus far and I have no regrets on the money spent.

Take care,

Christian

Is it true that Europipe has no done in the 2,000 to 3,000 rpm zone?

I have one coming soon and would really like to know before I do the work.,..

• 1 month later...