Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Unapproved oil & filter change

• Moderators

For technical questions and answers this is the place. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi That message board also has a great search function.

The subject is my 1997 Box with just under 60K miles. I am in San Francisco Bay Area. I think the last time we had sustained freezing weather in San Jose was during the last ice age.

I took this Mobil 1 pic two years ago at a local parts place. I used the red cap 15W-50 for 7 years. The packaging and stuff inside has changed since then. And the red cap stuff is gone. My local dealer used it. I used it. But it is no longer on the current Porsche approved list.

oilkragens.jpg

I considered Castrol 5W-50. A fine oil. Also used by my dealer until it too also went off the approved list. But I have no need for that wide of a viscosity range. Plust I would like to try Mobil's relatively new extended performance product.

oilKragens3.JPG

So I narrowed it do to this.

oilKragens6.JPG

But, I see no need for a OW oil for where I live, except on my salad.

So I bought a five quart container of 15W-50 EP and four 1 quart containers of the same. 9 quarts total for my 60K oil and filter change. My old empty red cap 15W-50 is on the right.

oil15-50C.JPG

I am not going to Porsche heaven....

• Moderators

Time to pick an oil filter for my unapproved oil change.

The oil filter sold by Porsche is made by Mahle. http://www.mahle.com/ I have some old stock Mahle/Porsche filters used for the pictures, so the part numbers may have changed a bit.

Wix has come out with an oil filter for our cars. http://www.wixfilters.com/ I wanted to try this filter. So I bought it.

From left to right. Wix, Mahle, and the Porsche branded Mahle.

filterwix12.JPG

This is from the top, except there is no real top or bottom for any of these filters.

filterwix5.JPG

From the side. They all have a nylon cage inside.

filterwix9.JPG

The Wix has an o-ring to seal the top and bottom of the filter. The Mahle/Porsche has a paper-like material on the end-caps. The holes on the Wix filter look a bit too large - I will know for sure when I put it in.

filterwix7.JPG

The Wix filter is made in South Korea. The Mahle/Porsche in Austria - until it gets outsourced.

filterwix1.JPG

I am really not going to go to Porsche heaven....

seeing the new approval list had me thinking about moving off of it or trying the pricey Motul stuff, but I just today read a Mobil announcement that the 5w40 was supposed to arrive state side this month, with the 0w40 ending up on my garage floor and considering how loud the damned lifters are I wanted to use 15w50 like you're doing but I'm unsure how that would effect my warrantee and I felt foolish asking :)

Isn't 0-40 Mobil 1 the recommended oil for the 986 motor? Thats what our local dealer uses on all the Porsche cars. I use that myself with a Porsche oil filter. My buddy works for Porsche so I get my parts cheap so I buy them from the dealer just because.

• Moderators

Porsche does not make anything - except profits. :lol:

Our air filter is made by Mann. http://www.mann-hummel.com/

I have seen the Mann air filter boxes at my local dealer and at independents. Same stuff until you put a Porsche part number on it and put it inside a Porsche box. It is not sold to customers at the parts counter in a non-Porsche box.

Never understood why Porsche used a 996 part number for a filter that only works on a 986. Note the LX 566/1 part number.

airfiltermann.JPG

My original 1997 air filter that I saved all these years is on top. The bottom filter on the box is the Wix filter. I bought the "aftermarket" Wix filter to compare it to the OEM, thinking it too might be made in some Asian country. But, it is made by Mann in Austria and put in a Wix box.

airfilterwix3.JPG

So, I take my Wix aka Mann filter and go to the Porsche dealer to take pics of the "official" filter. Note the LX 566/1 Mann number in the official filter I took a pic of a few days ago at my dealer, with the 996 part number.

airwix1.JPG

They are the same as far as I can tell....

airwix2.JPG

airwix3.JPG

Um, as far as I know, the MB 229.5 specification is a Mercedes-Benz standard and has nothing to do with Porsche.

The following PDF details all oils that are Porsche-approved (by brand AND type!), as of the end of 2005...

I don't think this has been superceded yet?

According to this, Porsche only approve 0W-40 and 5W-40 (for below and above -12F, respectively), and not 15W-50 at all!

Thanks!

Shash

(Edit - URL removed as that TSB was taken from RennTech.org's TSB section without permission - Loren)

Edited by Loren

• Moderators

The removed link is the July 28, 2005 list. I checked 2 weeks ago with Peter Smith and that is still the most current list. Porsche comes out with a revised list about once a year, so there should be another list out in a few months. The original 15W-50 (red cap) is not on the current list. It had been on the lists for years, and then removed a few years ago. The EP version has never been on a list, since it is a relatively new edition to the Mobil 1 line.

As for the Mercedes approved oils, it is hard enough for me to keep up with the ever-changing Porsche list. If I had a Mercedes this is what I would use. Extra Virgin, of course.

post-4-1149031461_thumb.jpg

Um, Loren - I didn't take that PDF from Renntech's TSB section. I got that from my own sources (in fact, I've never even been to the RennTech TSB section as I am not even allowed to access it!)...

Apologies for any confusion, but I definitely did not take that without permission. I note now that I may have given info that only "paid" members are meant to see, and I apologise. However, marking me for taking something "without permission" upsets me a little, as I did no such thing!

Thanks

Shash

Edited by Rom

• Admin
Um, Loren - I didn't take that PDF from Renntech's TSB section. I got that from my own sources (in fact, I've never even been to the RennTech TSB section as I am not even allowed to access it!)...

Apologies for any confusion, but I definitely did not take that without permission. I note now that I may have given info that only "paid" members are meant to see, and I apologise. However, marking me for taking something "without permission" upsets me a little, as I did no such thing!

Thanks

Shash

I didn't say you took it - I said "that site" had a TSB that came from here. Unless that is your site you did nothing wrong.

Um, as far as I know, the MB 229.5 specification is a Mercedes-Benz standard and has nothing to do with Porsche.
The last Porsche acceptable oils list I've examined exclusively listed oils that satisfied the MB 229.5 approval. Coincidence, I think not.

Does Porsche now approve oils that don’t meet MB 229.5?

I didn't say you took it - I said "that site" had a TSB that came from here. Unless that is your site you did nothing wrong.

Actually, that is my domain - but I got that TSB ages ago, but not from RennTech... I just put it up today so that I could link to it in this post, for informational reasons - it hasn't ever been linked from anywhere else. I apologise again if that TSB, somehow, actually is from here - although as far as I can tell the author was Hans Reisel who is the Technical Publications Director for Porsche Cars North America.

Thanks!

Shash

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Back to my unapproved oil change. I finally found the time to do it.

I like the Wix filter. I stuck it in the bottom of the cannister for a picture and it seated right into the valve. I do not do it that way with the Mahle filter. The Wix plastic end cap and o-ring seated so well that I just screwed the cannister back in by hand and the cannister bottomed out like it should. The Mahle has a paper-like seal and I would stick that filter up in the engine before screwing on the cannister.

For you overfill freaks, I measured about 1 1/2 cups of oil in the cannister with the filter in in the cannister. That is the reason for the white measuring cup in an otherwise empty drain pan.

So, close your eyes. 9 quarts of 15W-50 are in my car. And I did not replace the o-ring for the cannister or sealing ring for the drain bolt, or use a torque wrench, and this is the third oil change on MY CAR.

post-4-1156469075_thumb.jpg

post-4-1156469157_thumb.jpg

post-4-1156469384_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

16k miles. Still tasted good. Ok, I'm not going to Porsche heaven. But Porsche now says 20k miles on the 987.

The Wix filter was $19.95. You can find a Mahle/Porsche filter for less money. I wanted to try the Wix not to save money, but to try something different. Too bad I do not have a way to determine if they perform any differently.

post-4-1156515285_thumb.jpg

• Admin
What on the Porsche approved list is who Porsche is currently in bed with. When somebody pisses them off, they go off the approved list lol..
Hardly... Porsches approved oils list is over 5 pages long. It is merely a list of oils and specific weights of oils and they have tested and approved. Porsche updated their list about once a year via TSB.

What on the Porsche approved list is who Porsche is currently in bed with. When somebody pisses them off, they go off the approved list lol..

Hardly... Porsches approved oils list is over 5 pages long. It is merely a list of oils and specific weights of oils and they have tested and approved. Porsche updated their list about once a year via TSB.

Sorry, some times I forget that sarcasim is lost over the internet...

• 6 months later...

Tool Pants,

I see you went all out, and used the “extended performance” oil with the cool Gold cap, that costs more. Are you going to try to make it to 20k before the next oil change?

I can’t find specs on Mobil1.com to see the difference, they only list one type, I think it’s the extended, The price at the store for that Gold cap is a few bucks more. Wal Mart carry’s both types by the way, and two of these containers are just about right for the P oil change, and cheaper buy bulk container. Where is Costco when I need them? Let me know how that WIX filter works out, I have been using them in all my other cars for years now.

scotto :clapping:

post-16679-1173641620_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

In your picture the container on the right with the silver top in 15W-50 is not something that I have seen on store shelves. Guess that is why it says New! On the Mobil 1 site it says back by popular demand. http://mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oil..._1_15W-50_.aspx

The silver top was for a different weight oil. The original original 15W-50 had a red top. But then Mobil likes to change containers from time time. I am now an EP man. Cost more than the standard Mobil 1, but I spare no expense on the Boxstir. And my 1997 needs all the SuperSyn I can get.

When Mobil 1 introducted their product in the 1970s for automotive purposes it was advertised for use up to 25,000 miles. Here is a print ad. Wonder if I will still own my 1997 Boxster 25,000 miles from now....

post-4-1173670201_thumb.jpg

post-4-1173909544_thumb.jpg

Tool Pants,

No, you will have a 3.4L Boxster I’m sure tweeked to 400+ Hp.

Do you know what the difference is other than cost? $11+ more for the “good stuff” with the cool Gold cap.

Exxon Mobil isn’t telling on their web site. Is there any one out there from Exxon Mobil that wants to tell us?

Cost for oil:

Porsche Recommended salad dressing, 0W 40 Mobil1 $5.97 x 9Qt = $53.73, I can’t find it in 5Qt containers. Unapproved extra virgin olive oil 15W 50 Mobil1 $23.62 x2 5Qt = $47.24, with a Quart left over to lube the garage floor. Unapproved extra-extra virgin olive oil 15W 50 “Extended Performance” $29.24 x2 5Qt = $58.48. They say is good for 15k miles on the label, I guess they disagree with Porsche on the 20k Oil Change. I usually also add a cup of Beck’s beer just to make it feel at home, but it does require a more frequent oil change for the higher performance.

post-16679-1174018184_thumb.jpg

post-16679-1174018207_thumb.jpg