Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trivia - 986

• Moderators

Yep, no switch for the heated mirrors, which is also to defrost the rear glass window on a Boxster with a hard top. The switch is standard on a US Boxster.

The owner who took the picture is in England, but he has a LHD Boxster. He just bought a hardtop and wants to know how to defrost the window. No switch to push.

In Germany the headlight washers were offered for the boxster since 1996.

I think the defrost button is missing because the owner has not ordered electrical adjustable mirrors for his car. When you missed that in the first years of the boxster production in germany, you got only manually adjustable mirrors without heating, and without the button.

• Moderators

Yep, Paul in England has an imported LHD German spec 1997.

He has a manual adjustment for the outside mirrors and, for that reason, no defrost switch on the dash.

Turro, if you ordered a hardtop when the car was made then by default would you also get the electric mirrors and defrost switch? If you know. This is standard in the US.

Paul says the plug for the rear window is there but I bet there are no wires to it - plus there is no switch and I bet no relay or fuse.

More trivial now that we know the history of the car. What is wrong with the radio in the picture?

• Moderators

It is a US CR-220 radio. In the UK it is a 22.

Since it is a 1997 the radio that was used is the older 210/21. He bought the radio off of US ebay.

I was looking at the parts list for the hardtop and there was a listing for the switch, relay, and wiring harness. So Paul may be in luck.

Edited by Tool Pants

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

There have been 3 versions due to the "ears" on each side. Porsche also added more sealing material in the lever lock area on the newer tops.

The first version had the ears and backing plates under the ears.

Then just the ears.

Then the ears were eliminated around model year 1998. My January 1997 has the ears and the plates.

The ears were used for the first version of the roof rack. The plastic cover/ear was removed and the rack bolted to the plate under the ear. The design of the roof rack changed in January 1998 so that it was no longer bolted to the hardtop. Thus the ears were eliminated.

On the parts list Porsche use to show the 1997 top as having a different part number than 1998 and newer. This caused people to claim that you could not put a 1997 top on a newer car. To prove the ears are the only difference I put my top on several newer cars. The 1997 top has now been eliminate on the parts list and Porsche shows one top for all years.

This is an ear.

post-4-1112125261_thumb.jpg

There have been 3 versions due to the "ears" on each side.  Porsche also added more sealing material in the lever lock area on the newer tops.

The first version had the ears and backing plates under the ears.

Then just the ears.

Then the ears were eliminated around model year 1998.  My January 1997 has the ears and the plates.

The ears were used for the first version of the roof rack.  The plastic cover/ear was removed and the rack bolted to the plate under the ear.  The design of the roof rack changed in January 1998 so that it was no longer bolted to the hardtop.  Thus the ears were eliminated.

On the parts list Porsche use to show the 1997 top as having a different part number than 1998 and newer.  This caused people to claim that you could not put a 1997 top on a newer car.  To prove the ears are the only difference I put my top on several newer cars.  The 1997 top has now been eliminate on the parts list and Porsche shows one top for all years.

This is an ear.

Ah - well make that 4 versions then - do you know the other difference ????