Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I was washing my car today and saw that the engine was getting a bit dirty and greasy. Any tips on what I should cover before I spray the engine with a mild cleaner?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Make sure the engine is cool/cold before you clean. Apply an aluminum friendly degreaser to the underside of the engine - wait the required time, and hose clean. Maybe you'll have to repeat, or use a soft & long bristle brush to get all the nooks and crannies etc.

As for the top of the engine - under the tail lid - you may not want to hose in there, as the alternator is exposed, as well as a lot of engine electrical connectors.

If you do want to get the top of the engine as well, carfeully use plastic bags/glad wrap on all the connectors - cover the alternator, and make sure that the direct water spray jet does not get aimed at those sensitive areas.

After you are done - start the engine and steam off all the trapped water

Be mindful that the engine was coated with a corrosion protectant ex the factory, and any degreaser you use will remove some/most/all of that protectant. The protectant is there to prevent salt from winter road application from corroding the aluminum engine cases/components.

You may want to reapply the protectant - "cosmoline" is a brand name that you may be able to get at your local auto store......

If you do not drive the car in winter, and salt will not be an issue, then you should be OK with naked engine cases. Maybe you should have a chat with your local Porsche dealer service manager to get his opinion as well.

I was washing my car today and saw that the engine was getting a bit dirty and greasy.  Any tips on what I should cover before I spray the engine with a mild cleaner?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Adam, two words of advice: Saran Wrap. To be on the safe side, put Saran Wrap around the intake and the electrical connections before you do anything. Also, make sure the oil dipstick is pushed in all the way. Hose down the engine compartment with a gentle stream of water (don't spray water too hard) to remove excess dirt, spray on the Simple Green, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then hose it down again to rinse off the Simple Green. I usually follow it up with a complete car wash to make sure the Simple Green is completely gone since it may have run off to the bumpers, etc.

Just remember that the engine does get wet when it rains so as long as you Saran Wrap the intake and electrical connections, hosing it down with a gentle stream of water shouldn't be a problem. Keeping the engine compartment clean is very easy -- I just wipe it down with a wet terry towel every other time I wash the car. The engine compartment doesn't really get a lot of dirt.

Engine-Compartment.jpg

• Moderators
I was washing my car today and saw that the engine was getting a bit dirty and greasy.  Any tips on what I should cover before I spray the engine with a mild cleaner?

Thanks for the help.

Adam

If you just want to clean the top half, then the easiest way is to spray it down real good with a cleaner like "Simple Green", let it sit for a few minutes and then hose it off. Make sure the engine is cold, or you will get a lot of steam in your face. While wrapping connectors, etc. in saran wrap certainly is a conservative approach, no harm will come to your engine if you hit it with water from a hose.

The underside is another matter. Unless you plan to show your car in a Concours, then it is probably just as well to leave it alone. The factory spray of cosmoline is pretty tough, and takes a pressure washer, a good nylon scrubbing brush and a solvent (like mineral spirits) to get it off completely. Given that in your neck of the woods, the environment is pretty harsh, especially in the winter, it is best to leave it alone.

However if you do decide to take the plunge, here is what you can end up with:

engine.jpg

sportexhaust.jpg

airbox1.jpg

Granted, this car has 42K miles on it, so it is not as nice as it could be.

:thumbup:

Simple Green is a great product . Be aware of the fact that the standard Simple Green MAY NOT be used on aircraft ( aluminum) because UNLESS it has been washed off TOTALLY it MAY induce corrosion. As such they now have a new product called " Extreme Simple Green ", " aircraft and precision Cleaner. Meets Boeing spec D6-17487P. Non corrosive .

Check the Website www.simplegreen.com There was a special offer. One full 32 fl.oz. bottle FOR FREE a month or so ago. Call them on 1-800-228-0709

HarryR

C2 1999

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
post-6002-1125625162_thumb.jpg

I am more interested in how Orient lifts his 996--did he hold back on his DIY on this subject, or is the car so clean it levitates?

--Brian

I use a government surplus GPL-693-a Mk2 levitator that I picked up at an auction in Nevada. It was designed for 400Hz power for moving aircraft around, but I re-wired it up to run on the cigarette lighter plug.

Gadget.jpg

It is great for holding up the car when I do work on it.

• 5 years later...

A side note, see the attached picture, why's that bolt not pointing straight down?

It's actually at an angle,the same as at my car, which freaked me out a bit. I thought the previous owner had mounted a kerb and bent it!!

post-61448-0-23021600-1293002475_thumb.j

Edited by 318touring

A side note, see the attached picture, why's that bolt not pointing straight down?

It's actually at an angle,the same as at my car, which freaked me out a bit. I thought the previous owner had mounted a kerb and bent it!!

oil pressure relief valve. I had that same question about a year ago.

and, for anyone that's wondering, Orient X is telekinetic and can make his car float. literally. didn't everyone know that?

post-6002-1125625162_thumb.jpg

I am more interested in how Orient lifts his 996--did he hold back on his DIY on this subject, or is the car so clean it levitates?

--Brian

I use a government surplus GPL-693-a Mk2 levitator that I picked up at an auction in Nevada. It was designed for 400Hz power for moving aircraft around, but I re-wired it up to run on the cigarette lighter plug.

Gadget.jpg

It is great for holding up the car when I do work on it.

right. I had one of these too. Needed a step ladder to get out and back into the car. the cigarette lighter cord wasn't long enough.

(ps: that color is still pretty cool, pal. Happy Christmas !)

Edited by judgejon

• 1 month later...