Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Zimmerman/Minitex Squeak

I recently DIY'ed 4 new Zimmerman drilled rotors and used Minitex pads. Bled the system with new Blue fluid. Works well but a get a dang blasted sqealing when applying light brake pressure. I can't target a specific wheel when I'm driving. After a week or two, I removed all 8 pads and greased the back we with copious amounts of high temp brake grease. Cleaned them well with Brake Cleaner. Still squealing.

What next? I'm inclided to sand all the pads a mil and perhaps champher the leading and training edges( I don't know why, just a feeling). Any better ideas?

It may be normal but I want to get rid of it.

By the way I highly ecourage DIY brakes. Its easier and cheaper to replace all 4 with upgraded or OE part then it is to have a shop just replace pads. Porsche made it super easy.

I recently DIY'ed 4 new Zimmerman drilled rotors and used Minitex pads. Bled the system with new Blue fluid. Works well but a get a dang blasted sqealing when applying light brake pressure. I can't target a specific wheel when I'm driving. After a week or two, I removed all 8 pads and greased the back we with copious amounts of high temp brake grease. Cleaned them well with Brake Cleaner. Still squealing.

What next? I'm inclided to sand all the pads a mil and perhaps champher the leading and training edges( I don't know why, just a feeling). Any better ideas?

By the way I highly ecourage DIY brakes. Its easier and cheaper to replace all 4 with upgraded or OE part then it is to have a shop just replace pads. Porsche made it super easy.

Just buy a set of these anti-squeal brake liners, and stick them on the back of the pad backing plate and then reinsert the pads. This will quiet your squeal problem. I had the same issue when I installed new Pagid replacement pads, and this did the trick.

http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...i-Squeal+Liners

I agree with REM. The 996 Damper plates should stop the squeak.

Phillipj

• 4 weeks later...
I recently DIY'ed 4 new Zimmerman drilled rotors and used Minitex pads... ...

I used Performance Friction racing pads on stock rotors, no squeak...

Switched to Zimmerman drilled rotors with Porterfield R4S pads, major squeaking when the pads get warm. I figured it's the **** rotors :( I've just purchased a set of Mintex Red pads hoping to replace them to get rid of the squeak but after reading your posts :( ****!

I'm hoping not to revert to stock pads because of the dust level. I'm considering switching to stock rotors now.

I recently DIY'ed 4 new Zimmerman drilled rotors and used Minitex pads... ...

I used Performance Friction racing pads on stock rotors, no squeak...

Switched to Zimmerman drilled rotors with Porterfield R4S pads, major squeaking when the pads get warm. I figured it's the **** rotors :( I've just purchased a set of Mintex Red pads hoping to replace them to get rid of the squeak but after reading your posts :( ****!

I'm hoping not to revert to stock pads because of the dust level. I'm considering switching to stock rotors now.

Clubhead,

I was considering the Zimmerman rotors as well until I was told (by people on this site) that parts of it can rust (unlike the OEM rotors.) I hate rust! Thanks to this site's feedback I went with OEM rotors and pads. I don't track my car so the OEM pads are fine.

I hope you get rid of your :censored: squeaking!!!

Phillipj

• 2 weeks later...
I was considering the Zimmerman rotors as well until I was told (by people on this site) that parts of it can rust (unlike the OEM rotors.) I hate rust! ...Phillipj

Yes, the Zimmerman rotors do rust but I figured it's not big deal. The rotor 'hat' area is not painted like the OEM ones so they form a pretty layer of rust in a couple of days. I'm gonna switch to stock rotors and hope the noise will go away... Probably do that in Oct though. Will report back the results.

If you want to avoid the rust, just give them a good coat of primer before the install. Dont worry about getting it on the disk, 2 trips around the block and your pads will clean them up nicely. I did mine about a year ago and they still look good, no rust. There is a great DIY thread in here somewhere reguarding this

-k

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I got rid of the squeak! :) Mine's a Zimmerman discs and Porterfield pads combo. The pads will squeal quite badly after they've warmed up. My mechanic removed the pads and filed down the edges and the noise has since dissapeared. You should try doing the same.

I have Zimmermans with stock pads and no squeak, i made sure to use anti-squeak on all the contact points on the pad which come into contact with the caliper, Even the metal rod that holds them down and the metal pegs that hold them up from falling against the hat of the rotor.

Yes, I got rid of the squeak! :) Mine's a Zimmerman discs and Porterfield pads combo. The pads will squeal quite badly after they've warmed up. My mechanic removed the pads and filed down the edges and the noise has since dissapeared. You should try doing the same.

I have a 99 2.5 Boxster and I recently made the upgrade to Zimmerman drilled rotors and Mintex pads and sure enough, whenever the pads warm up, the brakes squeal. I also installed the 996 dampeners and still, the brakes squeal. Of course if I press hard on my brakes the squeal goes away. But man, there are times where I dont feel like braking THAT hard. Since clubhead has had success, I'll try doing the same method, by filing down the edges of the Mintex pads. Hopefully, this will stop the squeal. If this doesnt work, Im going back to oem rotors and pads. I'll repost my results. If anyone out there has done the same thing using the ever so popular Zimmerman/Mintex combo, please let us know. This might be something a lot of people would like to solve. Its comforting knowing that theres a possible fix to the embarassment of stopping every time.

Edited by bburkea

I have a 99 2.5 Boxster and I recently made the upgrade to Zimmerman drilled rotors and Mintex pads and sure enough, whenever the pads warm up, the brakes squeal. I also installed the 996 dampeners and still, the brakes squeal. Of course if I press hard on my brakes the squeal goes away. But man, there are times where I dont feel like braking THAT hard. Since clubhead has had success, I'll try doing the same method, by filing down the edges of the Mintex pads. Hopefully, this will stop the squeal. If this doesnt work, Im going back to oem rotors and pads. I'll repost my results. If anyone out there has done the same thing using the ever so popular Zimmerman/Mintex combo, please let us know. This might be something a lot of people would like to solve. Its comforting knowing that theres a possible fix to the embarassment of stopping every time.

Alright, I picked up my car from the shop and drove home. So far no squeak! I'd normally drive maybe a couple miles where the brakes would start to squeak, but after an hour driving home from the shop...no brake squeak whatsoever. Filing the Mintex pads worked. It turns out that the newer pads come pre-filed or pre-fitted from the factory. Thats why they never had any sound problems with their drilled rotors.

Ahh silence is golden :D

Ahh silence is golden :D

Hate to tell you this : It's been about 2 weeks since I've had the pads filed down. They didn't squeal the 1st couple of days. BUT, they do now but the pads needs to be much warmer for that to happen. The good news is overall, the pads squeal less.

I use anti-squeal compound (in spray form). I bought one bottle of the stuff 10 years ago and I still have plenty left even after installing several sets of pads. It is easy to apply and my brakes never squeal or squeak.

Same here...The annoying high-pitched screech that's sometimes heard when braking. A common ailment on many disc brake-equipped cars, it is caused by vibration between the brake pad and rotor. Squealing noise is really a high frequency vibration. Brake squeal can be eliminated by installing shims on the backs of brake pads, by applying anti-squeal compound . By doing this we can create a thin cushion barrier between the pad & caliper(to absorb). I use this product called "Noise Free Disc Brake Silencer" with my Mintex . Silicone based compound is designed to absorb the vibrational energy that causes brakes to squeal. My baby never squeal or squeak.

post-23680-1192328452_thumb.jpg

I use anti-squeal compound (in spray form). I bought one bottle of the stuff 10 years ago and I still have plenty left even after installing several sets of pads. It is easy to apply and my brakes never squeal or squeak.
Edited by juniinc

For whatever it's worth, I use OEM rotors and Mintex Red Box. I've NEVER had a single peep from this combo (not true of other pads). I also took out any vibration pads and don't use any other goop, etc. Mine is a 986S.

• 2 months later...
Same here...The annoying high-pitched screech that's sometimes heard when braking. A common ailment on many disc brake-equipped cars, it is caused by vibration between the brake pad and rotor. Squealing noise is really a high frequency vibration. Brake squeal can be eliminated by installing shims on the backs of brake pads, by applying anti-squeal compound . By doing this we can create a thin cushion barrier between the pad & caliper(to absorb). I use this product called "Noise Free Disc Brake Silencer" with my Mintex . Silicone based compound is designed to absorb the vibrational energy that causes brakes to squeal. My baby never squeal or squeak.

I agree. The squeaking is NOT from the friction surfaces so chamfering or filing down the pads will do nothing for you. The outside surfaces of the pads are not perfectly parallel with the piston surfaces so when you brake and they engage, they squeak. Having a thin cushion between them (as juniinc stated) is the only way to prevent squeaks. My question is doesn't this layer make your brakes less responsive by being squishy? Isn't the reason we bleed the brakes is to remove air and make the brakes less squishy?

Hung

Good point! Nope I don't think so

brake performance is same if not any better,,,thanks Hung

I agree. The squeaking is NOT from the friction surfaces so chamfering or filing down the pads will do nothing for you. The outside surfaces of the pads are not perfectly parallel with the piston surfaces so when you brake and they engage, they squeak. Having a thin cushion between them (as juniinc stated) is the only way to prevent squeaks. My question is doesn't this layer make your brakes less responsive by being squishy? Isn't the reason we bleed the brakes is to remove air and make the brakes less squishy?

Hung

Guest carpediemgr

i agree with others but when install ne pads in official dealler shop just put the new ones, if you go to an old very experianced mechanic for brakes he can smooth the edges from the pads to avoid some noise otherwise you have to wait for the pad to "touch" the disk after some km and have a little use