Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster logo placement

• Admin

We did this for all Carrera variations so it's time we added for the Boxster's too.

post-2-1133281062_thumb.jpg

Measure the position of the logo with a measuring tape according to the model variant and affix it to the rear lid.

Logo Boxster -- 3 A dimension X = 285 mm and Y = 45 mm

Logo Boxster S -- 3 A in connection with the letter S dimension X = 245 mm and Y = 45 mm

Logo S -- 3 B dimension Z = 20 mm and V = 40 mm

• Like 1

• Admin
Thanks that is a very good info.

How is the adeseive from the old logo best removed?

Will a solvent damage the paint?

Most folks use 3M adhesive remover, a little dental floss and in rare cases a little heat from a hair dryer. Keep the heat away from the 3M adhesive remover!

Most folks use 3M adhesive remover, a little dental floss and in rare cases a little heat from a hair dryer. Keep the heat away from the 3M adhesive remover!

Where to buy 3M ADHESIVE REMOVER? I cant find it here.

However I found a professional liquid adhesive remover, but I am not sure is suitable because it could damage paint.

• Admin

However I found a professional liquid adhesive remover, but I am not sure is suitable because it could damage paint.

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10164

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10164

I have bought HG ADHESIVE REMOVER, I just hope it works !! It seems to be similar to 3M ADHESIVE REMOVER. What do you think?

P148_ES_stickeroplosser.jpg

A very, very good general purpose adhesive remover is vm&p (varnish makers and painters) naphtha. It slowly penetrates the offending material without, in my experience, damaging any non-porous painted or finished surface (an exception is flat latex paint, which can be a little porous and very difficult to clean without leaving a sign you did). It also works on plastic and glossy paper products (i.e. taking a price tag off of a 'Holiday' <_< gift). Other than sticky adhesives, it works on dried petroleum products (i.e. tar, asphalt). Always test an area and proceed cautiously with any cleaning product like this until you have experience and are satisfied with the potential results. That said, I would personally use it without hesitation for the task at hand here.

The reason I bring it up is that it is readily available (any Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, etc.--particularly if the store sells paint products) and inexpensive, like $4 per US quart.

Attached are some links to MSDS from 3M for a multitude of their adhesive remover/cleaner products, including 3M's product no. 08984, the one sold in the link previously noted above. You'll notice that 3M has a number of products that seem to do the same thing, but look at the ingredients. 08984 is mostly xylene. 3607 is mostly naphtha (surprise!), but is also xylene and ethylbenzene, with potential traces of toluene and benzene. Now, I, for one, would not use xylene on a painted surface without being REAL careful. Xylene can, and does, remove dried paint, particularly latex; it is pretty strong stuff, and overkill, IMHO for removing sticker residue. BTW, you can buy xylene off the shelf at Home Depot, too; also about $4-$5 per quart.

YMMV. Good, practical advice: Read and follow the directions on these products!

--Brian

3M MSDS Adhesive and Wax Remover 3607

3M MSDS Adhesive Remover 38080, 38081, & 38082

3M MSDS General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984 & 08986

Edited by Q-Ship986

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

What i did when placing my 986 emblem was that i used a tape measurer and meansured 33 inches across from the current location of the boxster emblem...basically left to right at the horizonal position of the emblem across the trunk., I placed the 8 from the 986 emblem at the 16.5 inches mark and the emblem about 3 inches from the top of the emblem to the bottom edge of the trunk lid.

How to get an accurate position? I was thinking to use water with soap to adjust position easily, then when dry it wil be fixed.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

How about Goo Gone ? do you think i can use it to remove the adhesive without damaging the paint ?

post-28601-1211392755.jpg

I don't know about Goo Gone, but, I just did this today. Here's what I did. Used dental floss to slide under the existing logo and worked it back and forth to slide along. It was easy, no problems. There is a fair amount of residue left about .5mm thick. I used light pressure with my fingernail to peel it up. Sometimes you can pull up a long string of the residue as it holds together and stretches. Still, there was a little residue left. I, too, thought about Goo Gone, but used Scratch X instead which worked perfect and left a clean smooth surface for the new logo.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know about Goo Gone, but, I just did this today. Here's what I did. Used dental floss to slide under the existing logo and worked it back and forth to slide along. It was easy, no problems. There is a fair amount of residue left about .5mm thick. I used light pressure with my fingernail to peel it up. Sometimes you can pull up a long string of the residue as it holds together and stretches. Still, there was a little residue left. I, too, thought about Goo Gone, but used Scratch X instead which worked perfect and left a clean smooth surface for the new logo.

Jim

Are you supposed to wax the surface again after you have wiped off the residuals by Scratch X ? I am afraid the new emblem won't stick if there is wax on the surface ?

Edited by ssflai

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

When I changed my black Boxster logo to a titanium one, I used the dental floss method to remove it. It works great. Any residual gunk that was there, I used Goo-Gone (Not the new "ultra powerful" stuff - just the regular stuff). Worked great, and didn't hurt the paint.

After that, I used Scratch X over the entire area to remove any goo-gone schmootz. :) Then, where the logo was going on I used just a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean the area well so there would be no waxy residue.

I put down some ledger marks on the car to help me align the logo. To do that, I just used a sharp, white Crayola Crayon to make some tiny little dots on the car to keep things straight. The crayon will write on the car, and when you're all one, it wipes off with no effort, and leaves no marks.

• 5 months later...

I removed the old Boxster logo with a single pass of dental floss. I used Goo B Gone Automotive to get the residual adhesive off of the painted surface of the trunk lid. I waxed the lid to remove the Goo B Gone. The new logo was reapplied and all is good again. It took less than 60 minutes for the entire job.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 5/21/2008 at 11:59 AM, ssflai said:

How about Goo Gone ? do you think i can use it to remove the adhesive without damaging the paint ?

Goo Gone / Goo Be Gone works great.  I used it to de-badge my BMW and no problems.  It is basically a highly concentrated citric (i.e. Orange) acid.   What you DON'T want to use is one of those kitchen sponge pads that has a scratchy green or other abrasive side on it.  It will scratch glass, paint, trim, you name it (been there done that - was painful).  Just use a normal soft sponge or towel in combination with the Goo Gone.  

• 1 year later...
On 5/21/2008 at 10:59 AM, ssflai said:

I removed my Boxster script yesterday and there was probably 80% of the adhesive left behind.  I couldn't locate 3M in my area but I did find Goo Gone.  If I were to do this over again I would make sure I had the 3M Adhesive remover on hand as I suspect it would have worked better (I have yet to be disappointed in a 3M product on my cars).

The Goo Gone worked but I had to apply it to a small amount on the adhesive and let it soak for about 10 minutes, remove what adhesive I could and re-apply it to the same area.  I worked in stages on the glue and it took close to an hour with wait time and careful peeling to remove all of it.  I should add that the temp was in the high 60s and I didn't use a hair dryer.  the "low" temps probably played a part in the adhesive not being difficult.  I will say this... Porsche uses some **** good adhesive.
The 3M might be twice as expensive (or more) but I would gladly pay the premium to save time and frustration.